Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

Blog Entries

Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...ULVVfJWkpT-tBI

In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we've reached the end of our partnership agreement.
    We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they've provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.
    Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds a€_We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam.
    This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.
    Microsoft
    The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.
    That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
    Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say a€_Welcome Homea€_ to an old friend.
    More on our FSX plans coming soon.
    Sincerely,
    The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team
    www.flightsimulator.com

Tags: microsoft, msfs

This could be good news...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

"This could be good news..."

emphasis on "could be"...

Honestly, Im pretty happy with P3D at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

They could also bring P3D back into the MS fold as well. I don't know what the duration of their licensing agreement with LM is, or if it is something that had to be renewed annually. I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

I think more like 'will be'.

All MS has to do is drag the old dog screaming into the 20th Century [sic] ....
    Preferably have it handle computer specs beyond a 486....
    That'd be nice....

Now expect MS to put the screws on LM re educational or commercial users only, after all that is the contract and one thing MS is good at is enforcing their rights! Bad thing or good thing who knows?

And I believe in the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and the whole nine yards.
    Microsoft are not a benevolent organisation...................................... .................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Honestly, the corporate-speak is like the Chief Warder at San Quentin “welcoming” the latest batch of inmates. “Bittersweet sentiment” indeed!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

How about MS take FSX back from Steam to prevent any further development, then kill it off to remove a rival and pave the way for their new sim?

My "could be" in this is that it could be good news for X-Plane.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Why am I worried ?......is because I'm completely P3D . Whats going to happen there? Could be a flight to Xplane

"The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.
    That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation."

Translation: We need to take.back our product in order to put and end to it prior to the release of our Flight simulator reboot. We've learned our lessons from FLIGHT and from DTG. When there is still a viable competitor which offers more for less, we lose. We won't.be making that mistake again. This is an official heads up to those of you in denial. Sincerely your friendly neighborhood M$ team.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

FSElite.... Back in 2014, Microsoft entered an agreement with Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam, but as of today, it was confirmed that the partnership is now coming to an end. The news was shared on the FlightSimulator.com website (formally fsi.microsoftstudios.com) by Microsoft. As part of that statement, Microsoft said “We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.” Dovetail Games also gave a statement. Paul Jackson, CEO of Dovetail Games, added: “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”. It should be noted that this end of the partnership will not change how users will engage with their simulators or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam. Microsoft went onto say that returning Microsoft Flight Simulator X back to them is a step in “accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us”. They continued by saying “that passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.” Microsoft closed off their statement by concluding “today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend. More on our FSX plans coming soon…” Earlier last month, Microsoft said that they would deliver an update on August 8th (which is today), but it wasn’t clear whether this was the aforementioned update or whether there’s more to come. In any case, we’ll be sure to update you with the latest. Back in 2014, Microsoft entered an agreement with Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam, but as of today, it was confirmed that the partnership is now coming to an end. The news was shared on the FlightSimulator.com website (formally fsi.microsoftstudios.com) by Microsoft. As part of that statement, Microsoft said “We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.” Dovetail Games also gave a statement. Paul Jackson, CEO of Dovetail Games, added: “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”. It should be noted that this end of the partnership will not change how users will engage with their simulators or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam. Microsoft went onto say that returning Microsoft Flight Simulator X back to them is a step in “accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us”. They continued by saying “that passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.” Microsoft closed off their statement by concluding “today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend. More on our FSX plans coming soon…” Earlier last month, Microsoft said that they would deliver an update on August 8th (which is today), but it wasn’t clear whether this was the aforementioned update or whether there’s more to come. In any case, we’ll be sure to update you with the latest. https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-r...t-simulator-x/

I'm fairly certain that P3D will be ironclad. You're talking about one of the largest defense contractors on the planet; not some 'other' game dev startup. If they have a roadmap for usage you can bet LM didn't enter their sim development with some flimsy walkback option that would cause.the house of cards to fall at an inopportune time. In fact I believe that LM already answered that question a while back. IIRC what they purchased was the full rights to develop their own sim with ESP as the foundation freely, without any MS involvement and they LM own the rights to whatever they came up with. I think Adam Breed answered that question at one point. But I don't recall where I read it.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thanks Rick . I think you might be right . Anyway , either way - onwards and upwards for the sim by whomever

MicroSoft has never been known as a benevolent company, so I do have to question their motives in taking back the license for such old software. Might they do the same to LM? I'm sure the license was not in perpetuity and MS is expected to release their own 64-bit flight sim next year. Is X-Plane suddenly looking like the better alternative to a 64-bit version of FSX? Things that make me go hmmmmm.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Speaking as a dev, P3D is quite safe. Beats me what the scare mongers have to gain from pushing their claims of LM locking up P3D to us mortals.

The reason LM opened P3D up to us mortals in the first place is because they recognise that the flight sim community is a very valuable untapped resource of research and development.
    Adam Breed still shared in an interview at last years FSExpo how amazed he is at what the 3rd party developers have achieved in their attempts to satisfy the end users and how valuable these achievements are in the world of training pilots.
    They have gone to great lengths to open up the simulator to the developers and as a result, everyone is winning. Developers sell their products, users buy P3D, research and innovation thrive, training improves. Shutting it down would be foolish.

In fact, if LM wants to stay competitive on the real world training market, closing it off to our input is literally the worst thing they can do and they know it.
    -JB

Could be good, could be bad, most likely a mixed bag.

As a FSX SE user, I'm curious how it's going to work out. I'd like to see continued support for SE and the default real wx fixed since it quit talking to Jeppersen a while back.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Speaking as a dev, P3D is quite safe. Beats me what the scare mongers have to gain from pushing their claims of LM locking up P3D to us mortals.

The reason LM opened P3D up to us mortals in the first place is because they recognise that the flight sim community is a very valuable untapped resource of research and development.
    Adam Breed still shared in an interview at last years FSExpo how amazed he is at what the 3rd party developers have achieved in their attempts to satisfy the end users and how valuable these achievements are in the world of training pilots.
    They have gone to great lengths to open up the simulator to the developers and as a result, everyone is winning. Developers sell their products, users buy P3D, research and innovation thrive, training improves. Shutting it down would be foolish.

In fact, if LM wants to stay competitive on the real world training market, closing it off to our input is literally the worst thing they can do and they know it.
    That makes me feel better.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Lockheed has smarter people than Microsoft, your right, shutting it down not gonna happen, they have a version for the classified stuff.

Now if there only a way of divorcing FSXSE from the necessity to have Steam running at all. I run it in offline mode but Steam still requires to be fired up anyway. There must be someone clever out there.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

This is most likely a move on Microsoft's part to control the digital rights to FSX with their new version in the works. I would expect P3D to continue under Lockheed's ownership but who really knows what Lockheed's commitment is to it long term? All of these MS based, cross-platform versions seem messy to me. FSX, Steam, P3D must drive developers' crazy.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jymp View Post
    Lockheed has smarter people than Microsoft, your right, shutting it down not gonna happen, they have a version for the classified stuff.
    LM just has more and better lawyers than Micro$haft. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And I believe in the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and the whole nine yards.
    Microsoft are not a benevolent organisation...................................... .................
    Hey Wombat! I'm trying to be postive here...behave yourself! LOL
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I look at it this way. The Flight Simulator that Microsoft will be introducing will be for entertainment purposes, while Lockheed will still be free to develop P3D to suit their education, and professional training aims. Currently Lockheed's agreement of use doesn't approve of entertainment. (...not like that stipulation has really stopped anyone from using P3D. But I digress.)

It will be interesting to see what comes.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    This is most likely a move on Microsoft's part to control the digital rights to FSX with their new version in the works. I would expect P3D to continue under Lockheed's ownership but who really knows what Lockheed's commitment is to it long term? All of these MS based, cross-platform versions seem messy to me. FSX, Steam, P3D must drive developers' crazy.
    This. I don't expect anything to change or come out of this, they're probably just protecting the IP.

I must confess to being a tad more cynical about this.
    It's money. Of course M$ are interested.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0