DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 9
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

Dave...nice to see my paints in action...
    I'll post a couple more shortly...

EXCELLENT!

I wouldn't normally bother with non-GB paints but these are so nice, I've just gotta have them

ATB
    DaveB

ZU-ROL has been uploaded here...

If there are other UK reg'd and 'interesting' L39s around that you're after let me know....

If there are other UK reg'd and 'interesting' L39s around that you're after let me know....
    I've searched the UK register for current and de-listed L39's and there are a total of 10. However.. pictures of most of them do not exist online (not that I can find and believe me, I've looked hard!) and the odd one or two that do show very little detail.. not enough to give you a fair shot at painting them At least one probably went to the Breitling Fighters L39 display team and lives-on with an H reg.

I was surprised to see 10 on the list to be honest. Here's the list in case you stumble over one one day:
    G-BWTS
    G-BWTT
    G-BZDI*
    G-BZDO
    G-BZVL
    G-CCWB
    G-CFPO
    G-OALB*
    G-OTAF
    G-WHZZ
    I'm surprised that there aren't more shots of OTAF. This lived at Duxford for a long time (OFMC) and wore a rather attractive double-grey camo scheme. Never mind.. I've picked up your latest 2
    ATB
    DaveB

Heck....if ya gonna have an English reg it's gotta be 'G-WHZZ'

That's just sublime...

Here's another fantasy one...once you have the layers things get easy-ish...

Error, extra feature and request

Hiya,

Great to see everyone is enthusiastic about this new FSX version!

Have a question, i get the following error at start-up, did i do some things wrong with the installation?

For the FS9 version i made for myselve a ASI (speed) gauge texture, calibrated in kts (several warbirds in real-life have this modification). If anyone is interest i can upload the modified texture:

Special request to Bjoern, is it possible to add 3 "gauge-windows" (in for example in a new [VCockpit04] entry in the VC at the following locations?

This way you can add some of your own kits/gauges, without modelling it as gauges into the model. (Sorry do not know how complex it is what i'm asking)

Thx,

Marcel

PS
    Also working on getting my FS9 repaint of the ES-TLE of the Dutch Skyline Aviation ready for this version:

Hiya Marcel

The sound.ini message is a consequence of not reading the manual I'm afraid (we all did the same I'm sure) There's a gauge folder included in the download (L39C_CockpitSounds) which must be moved to the gauges folder. Do that and the sound.ini error will go

ATB
    DaveB

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Yep...I didn't know there was one when I did my Tbird ver...it dates back several years.
    Then I saw that one while hunting pics of other L39s....
    It's why my upload is 'texture.TBirds-metal' ...because I was going to do a 'texture.TBirds' too...a la that one...

It'll be a pain to get the U/S bird tail to wrap around that far [it's a 4-piece fuse]...

Yikes!!:O

You will probably have stumbled over this site.. www.l39.com . I don't think I've seen any ex-military jet painted in so many variations!!

I tried another search using Google (rather than Bing) and a few more of G-OTAF come to light though still not really enough to give you a fighting chance. For some reason, I can't get into the Air Britain picture libraries.. at least not for any of the L39 pictures. Poo, poo and treble poo!!

ATB
    DaveB

Hiya Dave,
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hiya Marcel

The sound.ini message is a consequence of not reading the manual I'm afraid (we all did the same I'm sure)There's a gauge folder included in the download (L39C_CockpitSounds) which must be moved to the gauges folder. Do that and the sound.ini error will go
    Duh, i also should have read the error-message more carefully, it just says what is wrong. Fixed now

Cheers,

Marcel

hahahaha..

Yes.. it's one of the few FSX errors that actually gives you a clue about what's gone wrong!! The vast majority mean absolutely nothing to me

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    For the FS9 version i made for myselve a ASI (speed) gauge texture, calibrated in kts (several warbirds in real-life have this modification). If anyone is interest i can upload the modified texture:
    The gauge tooltip has airspeed in KIAS, but feel free to upload it as a mod.

Special request to Bjoern, is it possible to add 3 "gauge-windows" (in for example in a new [VCockpit04] entry in the VC at the following locations?
    This way you can add some of your own kits/gauges, without modelling it as gauges into the model. (Sorry do not know how complex it is what i'm asking)
    It's possible yes, but since I see absolutely no benefit to it, I won't do it.

Livery request

Any chance we'll ever see this livery from 2007 in a Skagit Regional (KBVS) hangar?

Just asking. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Any chance we'll ever see this livery from 2007 in a Skagit Regional (KBVS) hangar?

Just asking. Thanks in advance.
    Not too difficult...though it'd be without armament...

Early days with the 'real' Thunderbird.
    My idea of it wasn't too bad...or too far off....just used a more antique variation of the scheme...

N39TJ a bit closer to finished...
    The underside's taking a while to get right...

I dunno how you have the patience to do all these. Looks nice in white

ATB
    DaveB

ATB
    DaveB
    It's all trial-and-error getting bits to align....since I loaded PSP I'm now up to bitmap number 252....

Here's the underside almost sorted....that tail is a real bugger when it's on 3 separate images and compound curved...

Still gotta run the outline round it if/when I'm happy...
    All the TBird 'bits' are different from my original. The nose is pushed forward...their sizes are different...the 'wings' are redone as is the tail and the tailplane. Only the wing end stripes haven't changed [yet]...

It's a race to see whether I can actually finish this one before the Aussie F1 GP [I work at it] and that's only in a few days from now....

....that tail is a real bugger when it's on 3 separate images and compound curved...
    That's where I'd knock it on the head!! I've what should have been an easy paint for the VS Bearcat in progress. The tail has a large B on each side covering the fin and rudder. The rudder is mapped separately and stretches.. I think where the model has been pulled at some point. Can I get the B to line up.. Hell NO!! Mighty frustrating. There's another anomaly on the model.. the exhaust. The aircraft I'm painting has a titanium plate adjoining the exhaust outlet and I wanted to use a photo image for that panel. As it happens, there's 'another' separate piece been modelled which pulls from a different part of the map. I can't get that to line up either When you get 'in the groove'.. the paints can flow out 'relatively' easy but some models/maps are just plain pigs!

ATB
    DaveB

Not wrong. Look at the air intakes of the Alpha F105 ....where pilots would name their machines....different sizes and stretched differently left to right.....where's the logic in that?

Ignoring of course those quaint models that took the shortcut of mapping one image to both the left and right [or top/bottom] of some sections...so text was always going to be 50% screwed....backwards...

Yup.. mirrored mapping kills me. Sometimes it's obvious.. on others, more discrete. I did a 'Grumpy' paint for the MAAM B25 years ago.. a basic cut and shut.. nothing too demanding. The Grumpy figure and wording went fine on the LH side of the nose. When I put the Fighter Collection 'Indian' motif on the RH side, it stretched all the way over the cockpit frame. I had to move it so far out of the way and reduce the size, it looked ridiculous! Less subtle.. a door stop on the Nemeth Bo105. The Veritair logo on the front doors (red logo on white doors) sat perfectly on the RH side. I thought it sat fine on the LH side too until I saw it 'in sim' and noticed a red circle/dot on the RH door where there shouldn't be one. The LH logo went over the door stop and the RH door stop was mirrored from the left These modellers hey!

ATB
    DaveB

ATB
    DaveB
    I agree...beautiful job!!

Well, I'm not a fan of cube mapping a fuselage either, but since there's already paints out there, I can't alter it anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 3