Hunkered down, here in Pensacola
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunkered down, here in Pensacola

Hunkered down, here in Pensacola

My wife & I are hunkered down at our home in Pensacola. She's 63, and I will turn 67 in a few months; so we are mindful of our increased health risks from the Coronavirus.

We have a decent amount of everything we need to avoid a grocery run for a while. My wife is more bothered by being at home for a long time than I am. I mastered the art of "Introvertism" a long time ago! I have hundreds of movies to watch, music to listen to, and if things get bad enough, a lot of books I have bought, but never read.

And, of course, SOH posts to read, and flight simulation NC

P.S. McGuire's Irish Pub, downtown Pensacola, made the dumbass, irresponsible decision to have their St. Patrick's Day Party today anyway. It just proves how all-powerful that greed is, over concern for public safety.

She's gonna be a rough ride.......if Italy is anything to go by.

Good luck Chief - you're still a youngster, though. I'm 77, got P3D4 & Steam, a remote & TV in my man cave.

Our two cats are not bothered by world events, and my wife is settled in along with myself.

I feel for those who have, or will, lose income - and hope bold financial plans are efficient and implemented quickly to help them.

We are pretty well isolated overlooking the Southern Ocean, on a former dairy farm with 69 acres around us.
    Our power is solar, wind turbine (a community undertaking) and a decent size battery farm.
    Water comes via two springs and fresh water storage tanks, along with chooks (meat and eggs), a few Jerseys (milk and meat if desperate) while my wife is very keen on her edible garden.
    And of course, plenty of seafood a couple of kilometres from our door.
    Plenty of books, videos and net contacts to keep me occupied as well as P3D4.5 and the race sims.

As I rattle this out Australia has recorded COVID-19 death number 6, a man aged 84 years old in a nursing facility, bringing the total (possible) COVID-19 related deaths Australia wide to 6.

The single greatest lesson that we Aussies need to take on board is our stupid reliance on offshore manufacturing and resources.
    China produces the vast bulk of the planets face masks, huge quantities of pharmaceuticals, either complete or in part, along with just about everything that I can think of.
    Time for a return to local industry.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Take care one and all. This has got cluster written all over it. I am sure there are quite a few of us more elderly aviators around who may not want to go a round with this little beasty. Yeah and it seems more than a few need a course in discipline.

Pete, while not as old as you I still fall into that high risk group because of my COPD. I consider myself blessed to live in a rural area now. (I complain about it every time that I have to go into town.) I will be "Hunkering Down" myself except for Necessary runs. This crisis shows me everyday how dependent I've become on my flightsim friends and I might actually get some yard work done.

Blog Entries
    Luckily I began hardening my immune system before the knee replacements, and have been maintaining that rotine. Beyond that I'm in a remote, dry location...far away from any city. I've got a years worth of storeable food, well water on the property, and mountain runoff out the front door. I did make a big run for long term cooking items such as spices and dry bits, I have 50 lbs. of steel cut oats on order and a colloidal silver generator will be here tomorrow. Not to worried about TP... a kitchen sink dish sprayer and a T-valve on the toilet feed make a dandy bidet, although a bit cold in the winter. lol

I've been a "Prepper" for years, and have been routinely called a lunatic along with other unpleasant, sundry labels, but I'm not remotely concerned with what people think of me. I have three hundred miles of desert between me and Los Angeles and 15,000 ft. of High Sierra granite at my back.

At 68 I am a statistical risk, but my wife and I feel we are both very low risk even if we contract the pathogen...which I feel is a high probability according to current data. Our regimen of daily supplements may help, but little is known about how the bugger works, so it's all SWAG at this time. We'll see as time passes.

For myself...and this is not advice, the colloidal silver is a front line defense. I ingest it, use in the Neti Pot and now we will spray it on our hands and keep it in the car and with me on the bike. We put a few drops in our water, which we run through a very good gravity filter. I cook/heat with a wood stove, so I can keep a pot of water/silver solution atomizing the air. It's a good defense for any airborne nasties that might be lurking. Also, keeping an eye on Chloroquine (HCQ) studies.

At the end of the day, I am not overly worried about the pathogen. I'm more concerned about a larger systemic disruption, but feel prepared for that as well. I feel isolated and safe where I live and I'm surrounded by the right kind of people, mostly cattle ranchers and outdoor/back country types. The years of preparing should serve us pretty well. We still have half a cord of hardwood...I'm bringing in another cord just in case.

We have the SOH community here where we can retreat and spend a few, or many quality hours if needed to ward off any "cabin fever". Improving dev skills can consume vast amounts of time as well.

I'd like to extend my hopes and best wishes to all of my friends here, and the general community. We are most certainly heading in to bad weather and might possibly be broadcasting in the blind for the foreseeable future. Hopefully this forum will remain a channel where we can maintain comms with each other.

My best to all,
    Gordon
    Last edited by gman5250; March 18th, 2020 at 05:23.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Since my "Hamcation" (Dayton Hamvention) has been cancelled, I'm going to remain bunkered down here in my home for the forseeable future. I'm well stock with dry and canned goods, and both freezers are filled with both meats, veggies, and some Marie Calendar dinners. Honestly, I could likely feed a platoon of soldiers for a solid month...

I send my best wishes to all my fellow flight simmers both here and elsewhere. May we all survive the current crisis and come out stronger in the end.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post

I've been a "Prepper" for years, and have been routinely called a lunatic along with other unpleasant, sundry labels, but I'm not remotely concerned with what people think of me.

Take comfort in the fact those people who ridiculed you were the ones who ran out at the last moment and bought a years supply of toilet paper and have now cleaned out the grocery store food supply. That is crazy.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Since my "Hamcation" (Dayton Hamvention) has been cancelled, I'm going to remain bunkered down here in my home for the forseeable future. I'm well stock with dry and canned goods, and both freezers are filled with both meats, veggies, and some Marie Calendar dinners. Honestly, I could likely feed a platoon of soldiers for a solid month...

I send my best wishes to all my fellow flight simmers both here and elsewhere. May we all survive the current crisis and come out stronger in the end.
    Uh, Bill....what's for dinner tonight?? I'll bring the hand sanitizer!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hunkered down up here in Canada. Not hoping for the best though. While our Prime Minister Dopehead is promising the moon, they just allowed a plane full of returnees from Italy in without any screening at all.
    Matt

My route took me past a Costco the other day. Folks with shopping carts were lined up around the building waiting to get in. At the exit, carts were coming out loaded up with toilet paper. ( I mean LOADED UP...)

......Am I missing something? S'far as I know, the Covid19 is a respiratory thing....no? Some folks seem to think it's a digestive track accelerant...

Unless...of course, (as usual) I'm missing the point that everybody else seems to know.

The rumour I've heard, is that in times of crisis, food shortage, etc, etc.....that one can deep fry a roll of TP, and eat it as a meal.

Is that it?

Well......just in case those of us who use bathroom tissue (in the manner with which it was intended) find ourselves unable to replenish personal stocks, I'm comforted in the knowledge that there is an extensive collection of old telephone books in the hall closet.

Now...remember: Wash you hands. Especially when cleaning up with phone book pages.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    The rumour I've heard, is that in times of crisis, food shortage, etc, etc.....that one can deep fry a roll of TP, and eat it as a meal.
    You gotta warn a guy...just blew my coffee out my nose!!!
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    .....I consider myself blessed to live in a rural area now. (I complain about it every time that I have to go into town.....
    I used to live out in the country (beautiful southeast TN). 7 acres of heaven. But when we moved to Pensacola, I knew I did NOT want to have a long drive to the Navy Hospital and VA facilities. We still live 10 miles from all of that, and the traffic here sucks bad....but if we had moved further out into the country, I would have really hated to drive that far. It's bad enough as it is. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    My route took me past a Costco the other day. Folks with shopping carts were lined up around the building waiting to get in. At the exit, carts were coming out loaded up with toilet paper. ( I mean LOADED UP...)

......Am I missing something? S'far as I know, the Covid19 is a respiratory thing....no? Some folks seem to think it's a digestive track accelerant...

Unless...of course, (as usual) I'm missing the point that everybody else seems to know.

Is that it?

Well......just in case those of us who use bathroom tissue (in the manner with which it was intended) find ourselves unable to replenish personal stocks, I'm comforted in the knowledge that there is an extensive collection of old telephone books in the hall closet.

Now...remember: Wash you hands. Especially when cleaning up with phone book pages.

In Pensacola and surrounding areas, it is not uncommon to stock up on things like TP, since it is a rare commodity, following a hurricane!! NC

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Hahahaha !!! Good one ! Frankly,I've been worried about toilet paper more than the friggin virus ! Great idea !

I used to live out in the country (beautiful southeast TN). 7 acres of heaven. But when we moved to Pensacola, I knew I did NOT want to have a long drive to the Navy Hospital and VA facilities. We still live 10 miles from all of that, and the traffic here sucks bad....but if we had moved further out into the country, I would have really hated to drive that far. It's bad enough as it is. Pete
    Pete, I did a My HealthEVet message with my doctor today. I requested that my April appointment be done over the phone. Just a thought...

The only thing that is going to cause shortages of food or other goods is hysteria.
    TP is the perfect example of this.
    If you have ever been in the midst of a natural disaster, you know that man adapts and overcomes.
    This is a world wide medical crisis but as the movie Airplane taught us, keep a lid on the panic.

Don't panic scene from Airplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdxP2m79n

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Time for a return to local industry.
    Couldn't have voiced it any better!!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    Pete, I did a My HealthEVet message with my doctor today. I requested that my April appointment be done over the phone. Just a thought...
    Your wife gets care with the VA as well? Pete

Identify and monitor those panic-buying all that TP, for now we know who (and they have admitted it) are truly full of... (who hid the 'brown lump' smiley???).

I don't mind hunkering down - still late winter wx here. Didn't get above freezing today. I've got the sim, the model railroad, and a HoneyDo list longer than a roll of TP.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Oh....and this was tacked up in the margin.....noteworthy in a way..... (Even though the significance still eludes me.....)

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/enter...paper-and-hand

Blog Entries
    Universe has an impeccable sense of irony.

I live in a ski resort, Mammoth Lakes, California. The winter here has been totally dry since December...zero snowfall, well maybe a bit of dust but no coverage. The corporate owner of the ski area decided to close Mammoth Mountain (in light of the pathogen 19), and indeed all of their resorts for the remainder of the season. That same day, it began to dump snow in Mammoth. Now that's funny.

Today, the Mono County Health Officer pulled the plug on everything, restaurants, hotels, bars, my gym, libraries and all public gatherings. The schools shut down a couple of days ago. Mammoth Lakes is officially shut down for the foreseeable future. The chamber of commerce issued a statement discouraging travelers from coming to Mammoth...until further notice. Horizon Air is canceling it's scheduled flights. Most of my wife's clients have canceled their Spring and Summer bookings.

It's a done deal.

Here's the impeccable irony. My wife checked out three movies from the Mammoth Library two days ago. Now we will only have those movies until things open again. One of the movies is "The Big Short", a personal favorite and actually an invaluable primer for anyone who wants to understand the '08 crisis, and more importantly, evolving dynamics. I highly recommend the movie, or even better the book...which I have read multiple times. The funny part is that my wife and I look at the movie almost as light comedy, partly because it is brilliantly edited, but also because '08 seems almost innocent or myopic compared to 2020. In '08 a sub prime mortgage bubble nearly destroyed a global economy. This time...it's everything, but the exact same set of identifiers are in play and simple to comprehend when you know the primer.

BTW, movie number two was Groundhog Day...not that is ridiculously funny.

I found it wildly ironic that universe chose to leave the movies in my care for...I have now idea how long. I wonder if the library plans on charging me late fees???
    Thomas Jefferson

I live in rural NW Tennessee about an hour's drive north of Jackson. Not much up this way but a bunch of small towns. My wife had a freak accident some months ago and has required long term in patient care so she's been in a nursing home not too far from here and I've been spending my days and evenings there for a few months, just coming home to sleep and try to get a little done around here in the mornings. Monday morning, I was told that all visitation has been cut off from all nursing homes in the country. So, I'm hunkered down at the house now until the homes open back up. I've got enough stuff here that I've had to let slip these past few months to keep me busy along with getting back with the guys on our nightly flights, a backlog of tv to stream and trying my hand at making and playing a cigar box guitar.

If it wasn't for having to get out to get some chicken feed, I'd be all set up.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0