FR North Star / Argonaut Released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FR North Star / Argonaut Released

FR North Star / Argonaut Released

If you're interested, the North Star / Argonaut is now available. You can get more information and screenshots on the website page here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm

Thanks!

Mike

Well done that man

ATB
    DaveB

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Credit card destroyed again. Downloading now.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Great job, Mike! Looks great and flies great.

cheers,
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    If you're interested, the North Star / Argonaut is now available. You can get more information and screenshots on the website page here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm

Thanks!

Mike
    Meh. DC-4 with different engines.

Will get it for sure. Just bad timing due end of month and credit card already dead until next pay check.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Will be grabbing this and the DC-4 when released. I hate to be one of "those" people... but while its 100% historically inaccurate is there any provision for a modern cockpit version with gtn750/650/430/weather radar etc? Only to make it a bit more flyable on vatsim (for us who enjoy that) etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
    Will be grabbing this and the DC-4 when released. I hate to be one of "those" people... but while its 100% historically inaccurate is there any provision for a modern cockpit version with gtn750/650/430/weather radar etc? Only to make it a bit more flyable on vatsim (for us who enjoy that) etc?
    If you have a look at page 16 of the Manual (which is free and can be had here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm ), you'll see that there is provision for using the existing VC radar screens in the military model with 3rd-party gauges. An invisible gauge poly is in place there over the existing radar screens, and so a 3rd party gauge radar can be placed in the scope using the panel.cfg, with any other knobs and panels being accessed through a 2D pop-up panel. The screen is round, so you may lose data if it's tucked into the corners, but you'd still have the 'big picture'.

(The DC-4 is still in development, and has a long way to go, but plans are to have both original and modern cockpit arrangements.)

Mike

its 100% historically inaccurate
    I doubt that.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

If you have a look at page 16 of the Manual (which is free and can be had here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/NorthStar_Home.htm ), you'll see that there is provision for using the existing VC radar screens in the military model with 3rd-party gauges. An invisible gauge poly is in place there over the existing radar screens, and so a 3rd party gauge radar can be placed in the scope using the panel.cfg, with any other knobs and panels being accessed through a 2D pop-up panel. The screen is round, so you may lose data if it's tucked into the corners, but you'd still have the 'big picture'.

(The DC-4 is still in development, and has a long way to go, but plans are to have both original and modern cockpit arrangements.)

Mike
    Excellent news. Thank you very much for the reply Mike.

Whoow!! yippieee!! that's the release I have been waiting for

Purchased, but haven't had a lot of time to check out the Argonaut yet. So far it looks and flies great! The only minor issue I noticed thus far is the captain's RMI has some VC night-lighting issues, with the compass degree markings 'changing' and the card appearing not to rotate when the panel lights are activated.

I stumbled across an interesting recollection of Argonaut history, including some interesting details on BOAC-specific ops.

http://skyviking.net/svwp/?p=604
    -Mark

Yes, that RMI is a known bug (see page 23 of the Manual). Nothing I do seems to fix it, including re-writing the code and re-building the part! And only at night! It may have to do with the number of animations that can be used in a model. Needles and tool tips do function correctly, however, so gauge can be used. I'll keep looking, however.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post
    Purchased, but haven't had a lot of time to check out the Argonaut yet. So far it looks and flies great! The only minor issue I noticed thus far is the captain's RMI has some VC night-lighting issues, with the compass degree markings 'changing' and the card appearing not to rotate when the panel lights are activated.

I stumbled across an interesting recollection of Argonaut history, including some interesting details on BOAC-specific ops.

http://skyviking.net/svwp/?p=604

Yes, that RMI is a known bug (see page 23 of the Manual). Nothing I do seems to fix it, including re-writing the code and re-building the part! And only at night! It may have to do with the number of animations that can be used in a model. Needles and tool tips do function correctly, however, so gauge can be used. I'll keep looking, however.
    Ah, thanks Mike! Serves me right for not RTM yet! The needles work just fine, as you noted, so the RMI issue certainly isn't a big deal. Overall still a fantastic addition to the hangar. Thanks for delivering another unique plane to the FS community.
    -Mark

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to buying it Mike...she's a beauty! Thank you so much for doing this one...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Outstanding work Mike. Now hope someone will do an American repaint For this beautiful plane, again thank you.

Mike, have you released a paint kit for this beauty?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    The manual says it is available here : http://www.flight-replicas.com/Downloads.htm

But sofar it does not appear yet...

Does anybody else experience 'phase shifting' in the soundsuite ? Very much noticeable in the external soundsuite, vaguely in the internal soundsuite but still there.

Thank you so much for bringing this extraordinairy version of the DC-4 to our beloved virtual flying world, Mike ! It is magnificent !!

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    It's coming . There wasn't originally going to be one, as so few operators used the North Star, but there's been enough interest. I'll report back when it's ready (shouldn't be long).

Mike

EDIT: The paint kit is now available, and you can find it here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Downloads.htm
    Last edited by mike_cyul; November 29th, 2016 at 10:43.

Will be getting this eagle...

Thanks for the work on this interesting aircraft Mike
    can't wait for a flyby

I see the update email went out today

Well I added this to my prop-liner fleet today, belatedly. Very impressed good piece of work. If a DC-4 ever follows it will be a must, but in the meantime it is really nice to get a good quality model particularly in the VC department. It will be awhile until I retire the JBK DC-4 but as I have rebuilt the cockpit to my satisfaction there I can wait. I think the best thing is that so many good older models were port overs and slowly but surely I am rebuilding my hangar with nicely made FSX native models.

It was an interesting concept to put Merlins as a make work for the British job on the DC-4 instead of the P&W, from all reports they were horrendously noisy to the point BOAC received constant complaints from the passengers about it took a lot of effort to quieten them down but as the Lancaster showed they were a good engine 1, 2 or 4 and it is great to actually have this variant of the DC-4.

Well done to all involved.

Members who have read this thread: 0