ETO in Windows 10

Thread: ETO in Windows 10

ETO in Windows 10

Got a new computer, with Windows 10. Loaded CFS3 from original CDs, updates, and no CD patch. Everything seems to work fine.
    Tried installing ETO but when running first upload file the title of the MultiCFS3 window that pops up is "MDL Patcher" and not "CFS version 3.1 found".
    The instruction PDF notes that this is because ETO has not installed correctly and I need to delete the installation and start again.
    This I have done several times with the same result. The instructions do not offer a remedy.
    Any suggestions?

SOH-CM-2020
    Gidday,
    I wonder if your antivirus does not like some of the files in ETO - there are a number of .bat files. Have you tried disabling your antivirus whilst installing ETO?

Once installed, someone has recommended converting the .bat file names from "*.bat" to *.cmd". aparently the latest version of windows prefers that extension. However you would have to go through all the text in the .bat files to change the references to .bat within the text of the files as well.

"Tried installing ETO but when running first upload file the title of the MultiCFS3 window that pops up is "MDL Patcher" and not "CFS version 3.1 found"

Are you saying tETO doesn't install basically from the beginning?
    where did you get and what download ETO version are you trying to install?

So then I don't get what you mean about the MultiCFS3 as that implies you have actually installed the ETO files? Do you mean when first using the masterstartup bat, or before using the cfg exe?

What happens in the appdata folder if you just put in "CFS3 ETO Expansion________" or whatever in the MultiCFs3?

Also all my multiCFS3 says is Combat Flight Simulator 3.0" even if I know it is 3.1.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

If MultiCFS3 has that message, it means the directory it’s in doesn’t contain a copy of CFS3.EXE so you’ve either got MultiCFS3 in the wrong directory or CFS3.EXE has been renamed.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Gidday,
    I wonder if your antivirus does not like some of the files in ETO - there are a number of .bat files. Have you tried disabling your antivirus whilst installing ETO?

Once installed, someone has recommended converting the .bat file names from "*.bat" to *.cmd". aparently the latest version of windows prefers that extension. However you would have to go through all the text in the .bat files to change the references to .bat within the text of the files as well.
    I know for sure I am getting some .bat files in the download, but I don't know if there are more that I am not getting.
    Either way I don't know how I could make those changes before the ETO installation process.

Thanks for responding, folks.
    I'm getting the ETO files through the links in the ETO Uploaded sticky thread on this page (mediafire website).
    I am following the instructions from the link in the Installation Guides for ETO and Rising Sun sticky thread.

I get a lot of files that show up in the CFS3 ETO Expansion folder in the same Program Files(X86)/Microsoft Games folder as the vanilla CFS folder. That is also the location of the MultiCFS3 file.
    There is also a MultiCFS3 file located within the ETO folder itself.
    Shortcut icons show up on the desktop but the ETO Start shortcut does not work and there is no ETO Start file in the ETO folder.

hairyspin:
    The CFS3.exe file is in the Combat Flight Simulator folder and works. It brings up the vanilla install just fine. I have tried the ETO upload with both the original CFS3.exe file and the no CD patch version of that file.

I have a Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder containing Campaign, Missions, QuickCom folders in my Documents folders, but no ETO companion.
    I have a Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder containing Campaign, Mission, QuickCom, Weather folders and files like CFS3.xca, uisel.xml, etc. in my AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder but no ETO companion.

mongoose:
    The installation guide shows a screenshot of the MultiCFS3 window reading "CFS3 version 3.1 found" and that is what I am getting also.
    I have not yet tried typing CFS3 ETO Expansion________ into the MultiCFS3 window since the installation guide does not mention that, but I will try if you think it could work. It appears that this guide was written before Windows 10.

If it is sixstrings upload then he doesn't use win10.

So what I do or did is keep the vanilla CFS3 v 3.1 in the programs folder and run and set the cfg once and start it once but make a copy into my main C:\ drive (or any other X:\ drive) such as C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion and then install ETO into that. I also follow the advice re CFS3 compatability, etc for all exe files. I must confess it's been a couple of years since I last did an ETO install but you seem to be looking at the relevant threads. There is this one as well http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...solved-for-now

There should be no MultiCFs3 in the virgin install.
    It should also have its own appdata folder.
    In the ETO install, is the issue already in the earlier versions or only at 1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    ...I have not yet tried typing CFS3 ETO Expansion________ into the MultiCFS3 window since the installation guide does not mention that, but I will try if you think it could work...
    The instructions tell you to do that, so do! At least, the instructions I'm thinking of do – which guide are you using? There's a sticky thread on installing ETO (and Rising Sun) with links to a PDF and YouTube video guides.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...and-Rising-Sun
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Swpierce,Do not use the installation instructions for the ETO included in the original download. They are outdated if you use Win10. Follow the advise hairyspin has given and do some searching in the sticky thread here at SOH. Didn't have any problems installing after i studied all the info i could find there in the sticky. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    If it is sixstrings upload then he doesn't use win10.

So what I do or did is keep the vanilla CFS3 v 3.1 in the programs folder and run and set the cfg once and start it once but make a copy into my main C:\ drive (or any other X:\ drive) such as C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion and then install ETO into that. I also follow the advice re CFS3 compatability, etc for all exe files. I must confess it's been a couple of years since I last did an ETO install but you seem to be looking at the relevant threads. There is this one as well http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...solved-for-now

There should be no MultiCFs3 in the virgin install.
    It should also have its own appdata folder.
    In the ETO install, is the issue already in the earlier versions or only at 1.5?
    Hello mongoose. To answer your questions:
    The thread you cite for Windows 10 contain the instructions I followed to the letter. None of the posters mentioned any tricks or issues installing ETO.
    There is no MultiCFS3 in the virgin install. It is in the Microsoft Games folder and in the ETO folder.
    There is a Combat Flight Simulator 3.0 folder in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder.
    The issue with the ETO install occurs with the initial download (1.0).

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Swpierce,Do not use the installation instructions for the ETO included in the original download. They are outdated if you use Win10. Follow the advise hairyspin has given and do some searching in the sticky thread here at SOH. Didn't have any problems installing after i studied all the info i could find there in the sticky. Regards,Scott
    Yes, that is the one I am using. Everything goes exactly as detailed in those instructions, even the MultiCFS3 problem is shown.
    Unfortunately that is the part I can't get past.

There may be another clue here.
    I noticed that there is no CFS3.exe file in the new ETO folder.
    There IS a CFS3.exe file in my ETO installation on my old computer hard drive, so that is how I know it should be there.
    (I don't know which other files may be missing, I did not check.)

I assume that the ETO installation program is supposed to copy files from the vanilla install into the new ETO folder in addition to the new files being installed.
    Maybe that part is not happening for some reason?

The CFS3,exe for sure should be there.

Are you installing in the main C:\ ? I can't remember now but I thought I actually copied the virgin into that before installing ETO but I may be wrong; I have so many installs all over! However C:\ or whatever X:\ is where you want ETO so if the install app asks where you want it, do that.

I assume you don't have your old computer HD, or if you do, can it be hooked up to your new one? If so it can be copied over; run multiCFS3 and change file designations in the various .bat files and you should be good to go!

The CFS3,exe for sure should be there.

Are you installing in the main C:\ ? I can't remember now but I thought I actually copied the virgin into that before installing ETO but I may be wrong; I have so many installs all over! However C:\ or whatever X:\ is where you want ETO so if the install app asks where you want it, do that.

I assume you don't have your old computer HD, or if you do, can it be hooked up to your new one? If so it can be copied over; run multiCFS3 and change file designations in the various .bat files and you should be good to go!
    Mongoose!
    Not only do I have the old busted HD, but I had the contents professionally recovered and put on a flash drive. I think everything is there.
    Once I have it copied over should I copy the CFS3.exe file (the no CD version) in my new vanilla install and paste it into the ETO folder?
    If I could trouble you a little more, could you elaborate about your suggestion to "run multiCFS3 and change file designations in the various .bat files"?
    Thanks!

Your old ETO should have the cfs3.exe in it; I assume also the no CD version; if not copy from wherever you have it.

Run the MultiCFS3 exe and name it CFS3 ETO Expansion or whatever you like, The "_'s" are added by the multiCFS3 if the name is not long enough. After you have run that, check there is an appdata folder for that name.

Then a separate task, re all the relevant batch (*.bat) files, they have to have to correct location set up in the:-

MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat
    ETOMusicSwapper.bat
    ETOGLSwapper.bat

By that I mean you must edit with notepad the correct path to your install; for example "C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion" or "C:\Combat Flight ETO TOWplus" or "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion" , depending
    which drive
    what the folder is called

So where ever you see a path mentioned; and there are several occurrences; make sure the path dive and folder name are correct for your install

Your old ETO should have the cfs3.exe in it; I assume also the no CD version; if not copy from wherever you have it.

Run the MultiCFS3 exe and name it CFS3 ETO Expansion or whatever you like, The "_'s" are added by the multiCFS3 if the name is not long enough. After you have run that, check there is an appdata folder for that name.

Then a separate task, re all the relevant batch (*.bat) files, they have to have to correct location set up in the:-

MASTERETOSTARTUP.bat
    ETOMusicSwapper.bat
    ETOGLSwapper.bat

By that I mean you must edit with notepad the correct path to your install; for example "C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion" or "C:\Combat Flight ETO TOWplus" or "D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion" , depending
    which drive
    what the folder is called
    So where ever you see a path mentioned; and there are several occurrences; make sure the path dive and folder name are correct for your install
    Thanks.
    I've done all this so far, but before I try to fire it up:
    Are the 3 batch files you list above all of the files I need to edit, or just an example?
    Also, I can't find ETOMusicSwapper.bat in my ETO folder. Is it necessary? (Maybe it didn't get recovered from my old HD.)

The file ETOEraSwapper.bat which sorts out all the era files doesn't do anything externally to the folder so no drive\folder paths mentioned.

So these are the only 3

The music bat is in the sounds folder as say, C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\sounds

The file ETOEraSwapper.bat which sorts out all the era files doesn't do anything externally to the folder so no drive\folder paths mentioned.

So these are the only 3

The music bat is in the sounds folder as say, C:\CFS3 ETO Expansion\sounds

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I keep hitting roadblocks.

I have MultiCFS3 both inside the Microsoft Games folder and the ETO folder.
    When I use the one in the Microsoft Games folder I replace the "..." entries with "CFS3 ETO Expansion_________" I get an error window that says "Problem modifying file!"
    When I use the one in the ETO folder "CFS3 ETO Expansion_________" is already entered but the Accept button is unavailable.
    No ETO folder has been created in the AppData folder, but I can move the one from my old hard drive it that will work.

Also, I have searched throughout my original ETO folder and do not have a ETOMusicSwapper.bat.

Don't use the multiCFS3 in an install other than the one you want to rename; so use the one in the ETO folder. If it already has the name you want there, just backspace once and then re enter the letter that you backspaced (or deleted), and the accept tab should work again.

I would then run the cfg.exe before trying to start the game. If there is no ETO appdata folder by then, you have a problem!
    You could try moving the appdata from the old drive but I'm not sure that would work.

Have you tried copying the whole ETO from the old drive and running the multiCFS3 in that (do as I said above) after runnuing the cfg exe as well.

Exclamation

Don't use the multiCFS3 in an install other than the one you want to rename; so use the one in the ETO folder. If it already has the name you want there, just backspace once and then re enter the letter that you backspaced (or deleted), and the accept tab should work again.

I would then run the cfg.exe before trying to start the game. If there is no ETO appdata folder by then, you have a problem!
    You could try moving the appdata from the old drive but I'm not sure that would work.

Have you tried copying the whole ETO from the old drive and running the multiCFS3 in that (do as I said above) after runnuing the cfg exe as well.
    Yes, this is the whole ETO from my old drive.
    I did the backspace and re-enter thing you suggested above.
    And....
    IT WORKED!
    ETO up and running. All of my modded planes, facilities, effects, etc. that I thought I may have lost on the old HD.
    Got some tweaking to do on the display, commands, etc. (minor stuff).

THANK YOU

You're welcome and good to hear all is working.

Members who have read this thread: 3