SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer - Page 25
Page 25 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1517181920212223242526272829303132333575 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH Team Project - Grumman Tracker, Trader, Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I think I have finished the exterior of the S2F-3. Look it over and let me know if you see anything glaring.

I am moving inside now to redo the cockpit before I map the exterior for textures, again. So, there is time for feedback.

Thanks for all the assistance in getting these aircraft to this point.
    WOW Truely amazing work!!!! Looks great to me!!!

"Regarding the aerial configuration......"
    Milton, in going through my stash of Stoof pix, I found your aerial/mast configuration as well as the one I referred to, so I would say to leave it as you have it.

Some other observations:
    » I guess you will add a rotating beacon on the bottom as well.
    » When the crew door is opened, there is a small ladder that is put in place to facilitate entry/exit. Will you include that? I have pix, if you require.
    » Every in-flight pic I have of an S2F-3/S-2E equipped with the ventral data link antenna, shows it in the stowed position. You plan to have the antenna extend when L.G. is retracted; will you consider unlinking it from L.G. operation?

- H52

EDIT: "You plan to have the antenna extend when L.G. is retracted; will you consider unlinking it from L.G. operation?" ...or instead linking its animation to the dustbin radar and/or MAD boom?
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Another note to Jan Visser

You are likely aware of this, but just in case!

The aerial and mast configuration on the -1 is substantially different from that on the -3.

- H52

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye52 View Post
    Milton, in going through my stash of Stoof pix, I found your aerial/mast configuration as well as the one I referred to, so I would say to leave it as you have it.

Some other observations:
    » I guess you will add a rotating beacon on the bottom as well.
    » When the crew door is opened, there is a small ladder that is put in place to facilitate entry/exit. Will you include that? I have pix, if you require.
    » Every in-flight pic I have of an S2F-3/S-2E equipped with the ventral data link antenna, shows it in the stowed position. You plan to have the antenna extend when L.G. is retracted; will you consider unlinking it from L.G. operation?

- H52

EDIT: "You plan to have the antenna extend when L.G. is retracted; will you consider unlinking it from L.G. operation?" ...or instead linking its animation to the dustbin radar and/or MAD boom?
    Thanks H52; will do as requested. I appreciate all your input.

EDIT: Just finished reconstructing the cockpit walls, ceiling, and window frames (a real tedious affair). Next, an even worse one; mapping the same.

EDIT2: H52, beacons and stairs have been added and antenna now works with eth MAD boom and radome deployment.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Next, an even worse one; mapping the same.
    I can fully understand your feelings Milton. I am currently mapping the FSX aircraft I have been working on for over a year and I swear that it is slowly driving me insane! The constant repetitive tasks are the ultimate in tedium for me. :isadizzy:
    Larry

Antenna animation

Thanks H52; will do as requested. I appreciate all your input.

EDIT: Just finished reconstructing the cockpit walls, ceiling, and window frames (a real tedious affair). Next, an even worse one; mapping the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye52
    instead linking its animation to the dustbin radar and/or MAD boom?

Might be a good plan! Hadn't thought of that.

Dave

Okay, cockpit (Humpty Dumpty) is back together again, polys reassigned to channel ID's, and mapped. I am now back to where I was last week, except with a redesigned and rebuilt fuselage and cockpit shell. :salute:
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

On the -1 variant, the bulge starts at the bottom corner of the cockpit side-window and is a straight line angled upward toward the wing leading edge. There is no short horizontal segment as in the -3 variant.
    Roger that, Hawkeye, you mean like this, right ?... :

I figure that'll mean serious surgery, something like this ( looks like the diagonal line starts just aft of the prop warning stripe.. ) :

Btw, my initial main task will be to realize the MLD S2N, a modified S2F-1(S-2A) for use by the Netherlands Navy:

@Milton : finally I DID get my dirty hands on some USN crew photo's from the 60's...

So that'll be orange and yellow for starters, fine with me !

Cheers,
    Jan

Jan, you are on it Sir

We look forward to the new pilot figures.

I should be in a position to get you the S2F-3 gmax source this week.

This is great!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mapping almost complete, and only a couple more things to get done here on the model.

Note that the test gauges are temporary.

Oh, do you want the VC Rain feature employed?

Anything else you see wrong?

Other things:

The flight model feels great; will leave it to Fliger to say when done. :salute:
    The sounds are awesome and loud at full throttle; easy to bear at cruise settings (with a headset), thank you Nigel
    The panel and gauges are in limbo I guess as I have not heard from diegox in 3 weeks. I think he has been on the road.
    Effects will need to be worked on; any volunteers?
    Textures are ready to send to the paint kit makers.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH-CM-2020

The excitement is building as we see the updated pics.

Looking great Milton

Thanks.

Pete.

Thanks Pete ... we will keep pushing until you guys have this in your hands.

Then, on to the next one.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I'd be happy to fly your creation around with no textures. Beautiful! Thanks.

Really nice, Milton...I'm lookin forward to flying this one around. mid
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Milton:

Looking great.

I currently only have the Willy Fudd and need to get the ESStoo to mod the files for it. I found a working copy of ACM on an old laptop, but it is only showing the fuselage???

Cheers: tom

Excellent news Milton!
    And I myself would like the VC rain effect.:salute:

Horus J

Quote Originally Posted by HorusJ View Post
    Excellent news Milton!
    And I myself would like the VC rain effect.:salute:

Horus J
    Thank you Sir

The VC Rain effect has been added and tested.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

"I figure that'll mean serious surgery, something like this ( looks like the diagonal line starts just aft of the prop warning stripe.. ) : "

That is correct, Jan. - H52

"The sounds are awesome and loud at full throttle; easy to bear at cruise settings (with a headset)"

Hah! Then it's just like the real-life Stoof. Such a racket! The only way to converse was via the intercom. -H52

By the way Javis, the "shortening" of the fuselage for the -1 (-14" and -4") will be easy enough. I constructed things generally with that in mind.

I can also send the shorter wing tips from the earlier model or you can borrow from the E-1B.

I will put together a package for you Tuesday and upload so that S2F-1 can start generating some enthusiasm.

I have one thing left to do on the -3 and I will send it to the paint shop Tuesday.

I have company coming for a few days this weekend so I will be taking a short break until next week.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The E-1B and S2F-3 models are complete for my part. This includes the fuselage and a basic interior and VC, the mapping for textures, and basic effects.

Fliger is finishing up the E-1B flight model and has started on the S2F-3 FM.

Smoothie and simkid22 are about completed with the E-1B paint kit.
    The S2F-3 paint kit has not yet been started.

Nigel has completed the sounds package for both aircraft.

There is no panel or gauge progress as best as I can determine. Diego has been out of touch for a while, I believe because of real world demands.

So, how should we proceed from here?

I need someone to step up for the S2F-3 paint kit.
    I would like someone to consider doing the panel and gauges in the event that Diego can't do them.

Once the paint kit is released, I will make the E-1B available to you so that texture artists can begin with their contributions.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    I hear FSX from far away:mixedsmi:

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

S2F-3 Alpha test report

1. Hands-off stable in cruise
    2. Sensitive controls, particularly in pitch
    3. Roll input couples to pitch; I believe this mimics the real-life a/c
    4. Very docile on approach and landing. I'll bet even OBIO could manage it
    5. A/c trembles in the sim (w/ engines off)

Nigel -- the sounds are great, but you've got to crank up the internal racket. Even with the Cockpit slider full-left (100%) I could Zzzzzzzz!

Milton - please consider shortening the crew ladder a bit per attached pix.
    Edit: any chance of having an occupant for the right seat?
    BTW, the only animations I found were wing-fold & crew door. Edit: I found the tailhook

- H52
    Attachment 49458Attachment 49457Attachment 49460Attachment 49459

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    I hear FSX from far away:mixedsmi:
    euroastar, I will package these up for you Wednesday. Thank you so much.

1. Hands-off stable in cruise
    2. Sensitive controls, particularly in pitch
    3. Roll input couples to pitch; I believe this mimics the real-life a/c
    4. Very docile on approach and landing. I'll bet even OBIO could manage it
    5. A/c trembles in the sim (w/ engines off)

Nigel -- the sounds are great, but you've got to crank up the internal racket. Even with the Cockpit slider full-left (100%) I could Zzzzzzzz!

Milton - please consider shortening the crew ladder a bit per attached pix.
    Edit: any chance of having an occupant for the right seat?
    BTW, the only animations I found were wing-fold & crew door. Edit: I found the tailhook

- H52
    Attachment 49458Attachment 49457Attachment 49460Attachment 49459
    Thanks H52. Ladder will be adjusted now that you and Tankerguy have provided better pictures. I have no measurements so ... I'll eyeball it.

You must use shift+t for the tailhook; there are no gmax tags for a cockpit lever.

For the radome and boom I used the Extend concorde visor. You may have to assign a key combo for that in the Assignments rollout. I use cntrl+u to deploy, and shift+u to retract.

You might have noticed in the real world that the suspension hanging is much more than 2 times static compression on the ground. When I set up proper hanging suspension and then static compression, it causes a bit of tremble on the ground. The sim prefers that the max compression to static compression ratio be 2.5. If I set it up that way, hanging suspension would be very short and suspension would be very stiff or the aircraft would be riding very high on the oleos. (It's like they implemented it backwards.) But, if its a problem, I'll compromise.

Regarding the right seat pilot, JAVIS is providing a new pilot and copilot ... coming later.

Regarding sound volumes, I keep my engine cockpit levels at around 35%. They are very loud to me; I actually lowered my volume to deal with it. Where do you have you volume controls set for sound in the sim, and on the computer?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

....You might have noticed in the real world that the suspension hanging is much more than 2 times static compression on the ground. When I set up proper hanging suspension and then static compression, it causes a bit of tremble on the ground. The sim prefers that the max compression to static compression ratio be 2.5. If I set it up that way, hanging suspension would be very short and suspension would be very stiff or the aircraft would be riding very high on the oleos. (It's like they implemented it backwards.) But, if its a problem, I'll compromise.
    Now that I understand the source of the trembling, I can live with it. Realistic "hanging" and "riding" are my preference.

....Regarding sound volumes, I keep my engine cockpit levels at around 35%. They are very loud to me; I actually lowered my volume to deal with it. Where do you have you volume controls set for sound in the sim, and on the computer?
    I actually had my cockpit value set at 36%. When I went to 100% I did not notice any change; reloaded the a/c and still no change. (NOTE: I'm referring to INTERIOR sounds; exterior is fine). I'm not clear on what you mean by "on the computer".
    - H52

I have just recieved the STOOF so really haven't started on the EffDee for it, though Willy Fudd is pretty wellfar along. I agree that the current plane is a bit pitch sensitive.

Cheers: T