Prepar3D V5 releasing April 14th
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prepar3D V5 releasing April 14th

Prepar3D V5 releasing April 14th

https://www.prepar3d.com/

Wow, they have been working their you know what's off. They knew that they were about to lose all you not for entertainment professionals. haha

I am guessing that ALL of the P3DV4 addons that I have bought over the years, have now become completely unusable in P3DV5. Crap. NC

Oh sh&t...wonder what this will break?

Kent

And I was all hyped for the PBR Stratotanker,,,,I'll keep v4.5 at least until I can fly her.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Oh sh&t...wonder what this will break?

Kent

Am hoping for the best, but in the end, it doesn't matter. We can do nothing but deal with it! I know one thing; I cannot afford to buy any more addons right now! Just the way it is! If we are lucky, and most add-ons are backwards compatible, then I will buy version 5. If not, nope. NC

Eh, I'm on the fence honestly. In terms of what I've read so far, it's not a whole lot different than V4.5. If the addon was not made for P3Dv4+ then it probably wont be compatible due to PBR model/texturing. So if the models were updated to V4 or above and PBR was added they'd probably work without issue I'd imagine. Sounds like it's got the same aircraft as V4.5 they've just added the B & C model F-35s is all with PBR added to those models. Same with the old C-130s, F-22, etc, they've just modified them to work with the newer sim. So that's why I figured the other (or 3rd party V4) aircraft would still work with V5.

Truthfully, I don't see much in the terms of enough of a drastic change with all my addons and visual enhancements in V4.5 to give it up and move to V5 and start over again. I'll wait and see what more info that comes out after the launch. As of right now, not exactly feeling any hype to make a jump. But I'm open minded. With FS2020 in deep Alpha testing at this point, it might be hard to pitch this to people using it instead of v4.5 with FS2020 probably being out late this year maybe. Might be more of a pitch towards newer simmers though. Who knows. Like I said, I'm at least trying to be open minded with it.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

What ???

1 April was few days ago ... ;>
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I am guessing that ALL of the P3DV4 addons that I have bought over the years, have now become completely unusable in P3DV5. Crap. NC
    Pete,

I went over there (P3) and scoped it out. Now it looks like I could still buy P3D V4.5 after V5 is released. I'm saying that as I don't know if V5 will support the V4 addons.

I noticed that V3 is still for sale. So, I guess I could just wait and see if V5 will support V4 series addons and what kind of rig is needed to run it. Here we go again.

The price for the Acad version V4 is same as V5.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Pete,

I went over there (P3) and scoped it out. Now it looks like I could still buy P3D V4.5 after V5 is released. I'm saying that as I don't know if V5 will support the V4 addons.

I noticed that V3 is still for sale. So, I guess I could just wait and see if V5 will support V4 series addons and what kind of rig is needed to run it. Here we go again.

The price for the Acad version V4 is same as V5.
    I stay with 4.5 perhaps till the FS2020 (but I will wait for more about v5). In V5 I see totally new lightings, looks nice but spend again €$£ for addons... Is not good for us and developers ; ). To many P3D platforms for support according me on the market now.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

At any rate, I foresee a P3D V5 forum here real soon.

I went through the list and still didn't see heat distortion in jet exhaust plumes; i.e., a jet exhaust plume. I think FS2020 has that, which is something I've wanted for a long time.

Quite interesting, I was wondering if LM would rise to the FS2020 challenge or just give up, glad there going to give M$ a run for there money. Very glad they are finally updating the airport database.

As with all new sims, have to wait and see.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

By the way, what is the "Lockheed Martin Civilian Utility Aircraft Single Engine"
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    By the way, what is the "Lockheed Martin Civilian Utility Aircraft Single Engine"
    My guess is it might be something from Textron (maybe a Caravan or 182), since LM doesn't have licenses to use brands like Airbus, Beech, or Cessna.

Prepar3D
    ®
    v5 – The Foundation of Next Generation Simulation and Training.
    Not for 'entertainment' or has that caveat slipped everyone's memory's?
    And I doubt LM are interested in competing with MSF2020.
    Looks good to me and I certainly will be an early adopter.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

exactly, the income generated from commercial and military sim contracts will easily outweigh any earnings for MSFS from private sales

There is no way military sims will adopt a azsure based platform due to the implications of cyber ware on a protected network

while people think its the end of LM with MSFS2020, they couldnt be more wrong

my only gripe is having to re download everything that has version control with revised installers, I dont expect many addons will require much work to convert as theyre already a 64bit, so fingers crossed there is no price hike for upgraded models. Unlike like the jump from v3 to v4 where many addons had to be re coded from 32 to 64bit

It's also possible that since Dovetail abandoned the MSFS "entertainment" license, it's either gone to Lockheed, or isn't being enforced any more.

I think people also seem to downplay how much money LM is actually making off the civilian market versus government. Embry-Riddle, where I went to college used P3D in it's sims across both campuses. That has several thousand flight students. Prescott, where I was had 10 or 15 sims it was on for official flight training. Plus it was on ALL the open computer sim lab that had 40 machines set up on it. As did the ATC Sim Lab with all it's sims. That's them using the academic version. That's just one ERAU campus and not the dozen or more other flight schools across the country. Then you add all of us regular simmers, pilots, etc that use it. So, It's likely a pretty even split between civilian and government.

The advances in P3D likely also weren't driven on government requests, it's mostly changes noted from the civilian market. LM is really just marching to their own drum. The FSX based legacy platform can't compete with the new one, at all. LM I'm sure knows this, and they wont be. Unless they basically strip it down to bare bones like Microsoft did and rebuild it. Which I don't believe LM has the resources allotted to do something that major. You'll still probably see improvements made to Prepar3D, but once FS2020 comes out I'd imagine that will slow considerably as the vast majority of the civilian market and 3rd party developers leaves the platform for FS2020. Leaving mostly government and a considerably smaller number of civilian users of it. I mean there's already rumblings about some big developers leaving LM's platform completely when FS2020 is released. So as I said, once it comes out I'd imagine a slow down in P3D version advancements.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

I'm really curious as to what these are:

• Added the Lockheed Martin Civilian Utility Aircraft Single Engine (CUASE) aircraft.
    • Added the Lockheed Martin Turboprop Trainer (TTA) aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    Then you add all of us regular simmers, pilots, etc that use it. So, It's likely a pretty even split between civilian and government.
    Who are not 'technically' using the sim in accordance with licensing terms.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Last edited by YoYo; April 7th, 2020 at 21:57.

According me P3v4.5 64 bits addons (like aircrafts) even without PBR will work (maybe issues are present like more flat effects and slightly distorted lighting on the hull/fuselage).
    So its update of installer mostly I think, so no fee for this. Will see but personally I'll wait for info about VR mode here.

Many of our major third-party developers have been part of our extensive v5 beta program to not only begin developing new content but to provide feedback on the new features. In addition, backwards compatibility is very important to us. With the new rendering engine there are some visual differences, specifically with lighting that may have had some small impacts to third party textures, dynamic lights, and other effects. Our third parties have been using the beta version of v5 to make these adjustments and quickly release their v5 versions near our launch.

It'll probably depend heavily on the developer. I'm guessing most 4.5 addons will get new/fixed installers for free (assuming they don't just work out of the box), but I fully expect to pay mostly full price for the VRS Superbug and TacPack when they eventually get ported over.

Since there's still no native real-world weather capability and no substantial changes to how input devices are handled, hopefully stuff like ActiveSky and FSUIPC will be pretty easy to adapt to V5

The improvements to clouds are very welcome. It was about time they get rid of these ugly 2D clouds...
    Maybe now the famous bug of the disappearing cloud shadows at some view angle has gone as well ? I sure hope so...
    I'm also very curious about any improvements to performances, autogen loading, terrain blurries etc... The current VR implementation (in P3Dv4, I mean) is good enough for me. I just hope for more stability and smoothness (performance).

Concerning addon compatibility, it appears most of the P3Dv4 compatible aircrafts might also work in v5 ?
    What about sceneries ?

Only bad thing: despite the annoucements, in these videos the water looks just as terrible as ever...

Ah, GODRAYS !

Members who have read this thread: 0