Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released - Page 3
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released

As intended, and after a lot of jostling of 3-views, the wing is under construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wingstart.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Great work as always Milton! Love your taste in aircraft (old radials) I know this will be another top notch much needed aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Two P&W R-2800 radials and can be tricky to fly? It doesn't get much better than that for me.
    With, well...interesting engine out behavior, it could really benefit from RealEngine.

I want to remake that gauge anyway (for more efficiency), so the B-26 could provide a good testbed - provided one of the FDE wizards gets its vices and virtues right.

Fat boss

Milton, I was just wondering. Would there be any chance of including a version with the larger prop boss (as in the painting of a B-26 buzzing the Jap carrier)? Not sure if the painting is accurate, in terms of the boss, or even if that type of boss was ever used on production aircraft but it sure looks more streamlined and menacing to me. Of course, it could just be me. I never liked P-47s with skinny prop bosses. I always thought the bigger boss looked more aesthetic.

Here's hoping,

Taff

EDIT: Having just watched "WINGS: The B-26 Marauder" on YouTube it appears the larger prop boss/cover was certainly used on early variants.
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Quote Originally Posted by rgatkinson View Post
    Milton, I was just wondering. Would there be any chance of including a version with the larger prop boss (as in the painting of a B-26 buzzing the Jap carrier)? Not sure if the painting is accurate, in terms of the boss, or even if that type of boss was ever used on production aircraft but it sure looks more streamlined and menacing to me. Of course, it could just be me. I never liked P-47s with skinny prop bosses. I always thought the bigger boss looked more aesthetic.

Here's hoping,

Taff

EDIT: Having just watched "WINGS: The B-26 Marauder" on YouTube it appears the larger prop boss/cover was certainly used on early variants.
    Hi Taff, thanks for your interest in the B-26. The early B-26A's and initial B-26B-MA had the spinners. Beginning with the B-26B-1, a lot of improvements were made, and the large propeller spinners were permanently removed to improve engine cooling and reduce maintenance. See HERE.

If I do a short wing/tail version, it will include those spinners. Doing the early version, unfortunately, calls for significant changes in the fuselage, wings, tails, gear, some glass, gun arrangement and so really would be a different model along with a faster flight model. We'll have to see how things go before I commit to reworking it all, but I know there is significant interest in that model, me included.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; February 10th, 2017 at 19:31.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Hi Taff, thanks for your interest in the B-26. The early B-26A's and initial B-26B-MA had the spinners. Beginning with the B-26B-1, a lot of improvements were made, and the large propeller spinners were permanently removed to improve engine cooling and reduce maintenance. See HERE.

If I do a short wing/tail version, it will include those spinners. Doing the early version, unfortunately, calls for significant changes in the fuselage, wings, tails, gear, some glass, gun arrangement and so really would be a different model along with a faster flight model. We'll have to see how things go before I commit to reworking it all, but I know there is significant interest in that model, me included.
    I think part of the appeal of the early versions is pretty clear: Top speed of 315 MPH, while the late variants couldn't pass 287 MPH. That and it just looked so much sleeker. Still, any Marauder would be a wonderful addition to the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    I think part of the appeal of the early versions is pretty clear: Top speed of 315 MPH, while the late variants couldn't pass 287 MPH. That and it just looked so much sleeker. Still, any Marauder would be a wonderful addition to the sim.
    I apologize for the bad link in the previous post; now corrected.

Maty, agreed, fast and careful attention to takeoff and landing speeds. Those early birds suffered from bad prop governors, distributors, and one other issue that eludes me at the moment, plus inexperienced pilots and maintenance crews. The experienced guys in the Pacific loved these early Marauders and thought they got a bad rap ... which they did. The AAF also ruined the model's performance with its changing role and added weight over its original design philosophy. Much the same happened to the Vultee XP-54 in its changed role topped by engine requirements that were not met by two different manufacturers.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, lost all wing progress today due to my inattention to details. :-)

Started out on the wings, got one about half done with ailerons and trim tab finished when I realized some errors on the 3-views, all of them regarding flaps.

The Marauder has split, slotted flaps inboard and outboard of the nacelles on the long wing variants.
    All my 3-views show slotted flaps but not split flaps.

This was on top of some 3-views showing a conventional airfoil versus the symmetrical NACA 0017. Invested a lot of time trying to find the NACA 0017-64 and it was no where to be found. So I improvised creating the bottom curve to match the top curve. Went to measure my vertical distances at the root and tip and they were off across the whole wing.

Was not happy with all of that so I scrapped the wing to start over. Still trying to find the airfoil drawing before I restart. Anybody have access to the NACA 0017 and 0010, I would appreciate the help. LOL Such is life; I knew this morning that today wasn't a good modeling day; nothing seemed to go right. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, don't know if this helps but I turned this up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	47151

Also found this one

Name:	-2017-feb-11-028.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	47152
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Milton, don't know if this helps but I turned this up.

Also found this one

BINGO!!! You did it! Thank you very much. :-)

Now I can proceed with the proper airfoil shape and can sort out the flaps issues no problem.

You are the man.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

One more a little more detailed.

Name:	-2017-feb-11-029.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	47153
    Duckie

Name:	-2017-feb-11-029.jpg 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	47153
    Really glad to help.

2 really great projects I'm watching from the grandstands - the A-20 and B-26.

Steve
    Duckie

Well, lost all wing progress today due to my inattention to details. :-)

Started out on the wings, got one about half done with ailerons and trim tab finished when I realized some errors on the 3-views, all of them regarding flaps.

The Marauder has split, slotted flaps inboard and outboard of the nacelles on the long wing variants.
    All my 3-views show slotted flaps but not split flaps.

This was on top of some 3-views showing a conventional airfoil versus the symmetrical NACA 0017. Invested a lot of time trying to find the NACA 0017-64 and it was no where to be found. So I improvised creating the bottom curve to match the top curve. Went to measure my vertical distances at the root and tip and they were off across the whole wing.

Was not happy with all of that so I scrapped the wing to start over. Still trying to find the airfoil drawing before I restart. Anybody have access to the NACA 0017 and 0010, I would appreciate the help. LOL Such is life; I knew this morning that today wasn't a good modeling day; nothing seemed to go right. :-)
    Milton, are you sure about the split flaps? From everything I've seen, the short wing Marauders had the split slotted flaps while the long winged seemed to have Martin's own take on Fowler Flaps, rather similar in design to the Mariner, with double hinges on each arm to push it aft and rotate it:

P.S. Forgot I had this flight manual as well, for the long wing version:
    http://1.airwar.z8.ru/transfer/manual/[aviation]%20-%20[manuals]%20-%20B-26%20Pilot%20Training%20Manual.pdf
    Lists incidence of the airfoils, control surface limits and has some nice illustrations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vue_ar_aile_droite.jpg   flaps.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Milton, are you sure about the split flaps? From everything I've seen, the short wing Marauders had the split slotted flaps while the long winged seemed to have Martin's own take on Fowler Flaps, rather similar in design to the Mariner, with double hinges on each arm to push it aft and rotate it:

...snipped...
    No I am not; am still researching, but your post is heartening. :-) Gives me more confidence that the 3-views have validity.

Okay, just now found 4 different reference pics and one cutaway that validate your statement. Thanks for that refreshing morning slap in the face. :-) I am awake again.

Also had a copy of that training pdf from another source. Thank you so much. With that resolved and the air foil (thank you Duckie), I can proceed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That looks nice as well Steve.

I am trying to reconcile the height differences from the previously posted pics.

The 0017 is 17% thickness compared to the chord length. This one looks "fat". :-) Although, when you count the grid squares, and divide by the height squares, it seems to work out.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

LOL Andy, I have seen that video but your link points to the B-52.

Here is the correct link posted by Bjoern above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn2wY3SNT0
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Anyone have wing info on root and tip chord length for the B-C models? I cannot find that anywhere.

From the drawings, the root appears to be 158" and 27" high at apex which comes in at 17% but not sure how close that is. I have nothing on the tip length.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That looks nice as well Steve.

I am trying to reconcile the height differences from the previously posted pics.

The 0017 is 17% thickness compared to the chord length. This one looks "fat". :-) Although, when you count the grid squares, and divide by the height squares, it seems to work out.
    Milton, I can't vouch for the sources. They were pretty well buried in the WWW but, according to the site and doc titles, they are from aeronautical engineering houses and are abstracts submitted for current (at the time they were submitted) projects. As far as I could tell, one was for a hydro foil design, and the other was for an aft fuselage stub wing mount for some kind of turbo-fan powered business jet.

Like Sgt. Schultz, "I know KNOOOW NUHTHINK!" I was just searching for "NACA 0017 airfoil" and turned these up hoping they might be helpful.

Steve
    Duckie

Milton, I can't vouch for the sources. They were pretty well buried in the WWW but, according to the site and doc titles, they are from aeronautical engineering houses and are abstracts submitted for current (at the time they were submitted) projects. As far as I could tell, one was for a hydro foil design, and the other was for an aft fuselage stub wing mount for some kind of turbo-fan powered business jet.

Like Sgt. Schultz, "I know KNOOOW NUHTHINK!" I was just searching for "NACA 0017 airfoil" and turned these up hoping they might be helpful.

Steve
    No problem Steve. I am using the earlier versions you posted; seems to match up closely with what I had and the numbers prove out. Thank you :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No I am not; am still researching, but your post is heartening. :-) Gives me more confidence that the 3-views have validity.

Okay, just now found 4 different reference pics and one cutaway that validate your statement. Thanks for that refreshing morning slap in the face. :-) I am awake again.

Also had a copy of that training pdf from another source. Thank you so much. With that resolved and the air foil (thank you Duckie), I can proceed.
    You're quite welcome. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. As for the wing root and tip length, I don't really know, but the museum should be able to send you some blueprints that list those, since the ones they gave me for the Super Marauder did.

Okay, once I got my act together (thanks to all of you), it took only a few hours to knock out the wings.

Now on to the engines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-020.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-021.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-017.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-016.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-019.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Some cleanup here on the gun pods and wing fit to the fuselage now done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-022.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-12-023.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Looks Fantastic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Looks Fantastic!!!
    Thank you Sir; it is starting to take shape. We just need to get some R-2800's on this bad boy 'cause she is one pitiful glider. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 2