For The Star Trek Original Series Die-Hards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For The Star Trek Original Series Die-Hards

Lightbulb For The Star Trek Original Series Die-Hards

Enjoy!

Lightbulb

And for comparisons purposes....

This, is more like what could have been done by somebody who respected the original. Unfortunately Paramount stomped on this hard, and its new rules have pretty much killed Star Trek fan movies.

Hi

Not familiar with that series P but they really got the vintage look down. Heck, they even matched the pillow fabric!

Funny, I'm a huge fan of the original series but never warmed up to the remastered versions that are now in syndication. Having watched the episodes over and over again since the early 1970's, I'm used to the original effects and visuals.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by HyFlyer View Post
    This, is more like what could have been done by somebody who respected the original.
    HyFlyer,
    Believe it or not, I actually thought Prelude to Axenar was VERY well done & I was hoping it would have been finished.

But now that Discovery is out, I understand (though not necessarily agree/disagree) why CBS/Paramount put the squash on Axenar....

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    HyFlyer,
    Believe it or not, I actually thought Prelude to Axenar was VERY well done & I was hoping it would have been finished.

But now that Discovery is out, I understand (though not necessarily agree/disagree) why CBS/Paramount put the squash on Axenar....
    The road not taken.....
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by HyFlyer View Post
    This, is more like what could have been done by somebody who respected the original. Unfortunately Paramount stomped on this hard, and its new rules have pretty much killed Star Trek fan movies.
    That would have been so much better than the "professionally" done prequels! Obviously Anaxar was a well thought out storyline, who's writers understand the concept of an "story arc".

One of the major reasons for the success of Babylon Five is that J. Michael Straczynski created a five year story arc, and stuck with it throughout the series.

Unfortunately, the writers of this new prequel seem to be writing the script "on the fly", in other words snatching out of their collective arses one episode at a time.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Not familiar with that series P but they really got the vintage look down. Heck, they even matched the pillow fabric!

Funny, I'm a huge fan of the original series but never warmed up to the remastered versions that are now in syndication. Having watched the episodes over and over again since the early 1970's, I'm used to the original effects and visuals.
    Moses you're correct - they have NAILED the look of the Original Series!

On a side note, here's another "Continued" episode for ya'....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    who's writers understand the concept of an "story arc".
    Have you seen the first 3 episodes of Discovery?
    There's a huge story arc/arcs brewing....

Have you seen the first 3 episodes of Discovery?
    There's a huge story arc/arcs brewing....
    Perhaps they do. Seems more like impromptu story telling when characters can't stay consistent within even ONE episode.

Just from watching a few scenes from the first two episodes that were shown in the critiques / reviews, I am quite certain that they have no concept of military command and authority and that Michael Burnham is quite implausible as a character as a whole and specifically as a senior officer aboard ship.
    You don't need to be a Star Trek fan to come to that conclusion.

- Ivan.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Perhaps they do. Seems more like impromptu story telling when characters can't stay consistent within even ONE episode.

Just from watching a few scenes from the first two episodes that were shown in the critiques / reviews, I am quite certain that they have no concept of military command and authority and that Michael Burnham is quite implausible as a character as a whole and specifically as a senior officer aboard ship.
    You don't need to be a Star Trek fan to come to that conclusion.

- Ivan.
    In the 2nd episode (which it appears that you obviously missed), Michael Burnham was court-martialed, stripped of all rank, and sent to prison...
    So in that context, I'm quite certain that they have a concept of military command and authority.....

This is one of of those story arcs that I referred to in my previous post...

Before that.....

How does a pouty, poor mannered, misbehaving twit like Michael Burnham EVEN GET to be a rank to be second in command of a Starfleet vessel?
    THAT was the point. Why the heck would you ever promote someone like that past Ensign?

- Ivan.

Icon2

How does a pouty, poor mannered, misbehaving twit like Michael Burnham EVEN GET to be a rank to be second in command of a Starfleet vessel?
    THAT was the point. Why the heck would you ever promote someone like that past Ensign?

- Ivan.

So again,
    If you had seen the 3rd episode, then you would have had your answer...That's a story arc point....

Judging a whole series by ONE episode is not an objective analysis.....It's like you're making comments on a movie after you walked out on intermission and thus not seeing the whole movie...

Holding on to an Audience

Hello Panther_99FS,

As with any other story whether it is a novel, movie, or television series, the writers need to be able to grab and hold the attention of their audience.
    The "Star Trek" name got my attention. The scenes and excerpts from the first two episodes and reviews tell me that I am not interested in finding out more. Thus, in the case of myself and some other fans of Star Trek, it has failed to hold our attention. This show appears to be Star Trek in name only.
    As the saying goes: You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I figure that with any new show, a little stretch of the universe is tolerable but this show is so far out there that it is barely recognizable other than having some characters with the same names. I am glad you remain entertained. My own opinion is that there is much better content available and this is not worth my time.

Have Fun!
    - Ivan.

Icon2

Hello Panther_99FS,

As with any other story whether it is a novel, movie, or television series, the writers need to be able to grab and hold the attention of their audience.

- Ivan.
    I agree - BUT I'm not going to judge a book after one chapter - even if I don't like that chapter I will not judge because it's not a fair, non-biased judgement to the author...

"The "Star Trek" name got my attention. The scenes and excerpts from the first two episodes and reviews tell me that I am not interested in finding out more."
    So you never actually watched it at all, yet you feel qualified to judge it. How bleeping arrogant. How can you judge a show you never even watched ?
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by penzoil3 View Post
    so you never actually watched it at all, yet you feel qualified to judge it. How bleeping arrogant. How can you judge a show you never even watched ?
    Sue
    Bingo Sue!!!!

I agree - BUT I'm not going to judge a book after one chapter - even if I don't like that chapter I will not judge because it's not a fair, non-biased judgement to the author...
    Hello Panther_99FS,
    Fair: That is a matter of opinion.
    Non-biased: This was completely non-biased. I had formed no judgments going in. If anything, I was more in favour of giving it a chance because of the Star Trek name so any bias would have been positive.

When shopping for a product, I typically look for the unfavourable reviews and look at the specific complaints to see if they have merit or relevance to me.
    With this show, it was so much easier because instead of just relying on opinion, there is actually footage to support the reviews and I thought the reviews were very relevant and on the mark. Harsh as I commented earlier, but on the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    So you never actually watched it at all, yet you feel qualified to judge it. How bleeping arrogant. How can you judge a show you never even watched ?
    Sue
    Hello Penzoil3,
    This is hardly arrogant. Everyone goes through life making decisions about whether or not to select a product.
    When you go to a Library or Book Store, how do you select the books you want?
    I don't just select based on title, though I may pick up a book based on title and flip through it to determine if I actually want it.
    If it is a novel, the dust jacket summary is a pretty good place to start.
    If it is non-fiction, one presumably has a pretty fair idea what the topic will be and one can evaluate the coverage the book has on subjects one does know about.
    The evaluation of this show failed on both accounts.
    You don't need to buy a book and read it in its entirety to make a decision.
    Would you buy a book or even bother borrowing a book when you already know that the contents isn't what you want?

In the case of STD, just consider a couple factors: (hopefully no plot spoilers here)

The idea of Subspace Radio was that it was faster than a ship could travel but it was not instantaneous.
    As a plot device, it gave the Captain of a Starship the independence that is lacking in the modern world and is more in line with the Age of Sail.
    The Captain often cannot get guidance from higher command and must make crucial decisions on his or her own.
    With instantaneous (and holographic!) communications, that plot device is gone.
    So what we are left with is a contradiction: If instantaneous holographic communication was available 10 years before TOS, then what happens to all the stories in TOS that depended on it such as "The Menagerie"?

In the case of a well known character, Sarek of Vulcan, we see a few New contradictions.
    Sarek seems to have no problems with his protégé Burnham becoming the exec of a starship and yet he could not handle his own son Spock joining Starfleet. In fact, Sarek did not accept Spock's decision to join Starfleet until well after TOS. So what sense does it make that 10 years before TOS, he is supporting Burnham doing the same thing?

Consider how contract proposals are evaluated. One has to decide whether the contractor is capable of doing the project and whether the project will be the quality you want. To refuse a contract based on seeing just a little past performance is pretty common.

How is that arrogance? This is just how life works.

Some people just want a coffee table book for the pictures.
    Not everyone is interested in the same things.

- Ivan.

Icon2

Well...I guess logically, one can be so biased and narrowed minded that they don't even see it themselves....

I rest my case. He never even watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    I rest my case. He never even watched it.
    Yes, and now he's backtracking and trying to explain his lack of episode and plot knowledge with some long winded "explanation"....

Members who have read this thread: 0