The Day the Music Died

Thread: The Day the Music Died

The Day the Music Died

50 years ago today Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash. I was only 9 years old at the time but I remember listing to him on the radio and my older sister's records. Even today I still like to hear his songs, imagine what he might have accomplished if he had not been killed back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happiness Consultant
    Hope he's leading the band up there ...
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by lifejogger View Post
    50 years ago today Buddy Holly was killed in a plane crash. I was only 9 years old at the time but I remember listing to him on the radio and my older sister's records. Even today I still like to hear his songs, imagine what he might have accomplished if he had not been killed back then.
    And let's not overlook Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.
    There were three talented musicians lost on that flight.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Wow, it's been 50 years! Doesn't seem that long ago - guess my "old fart year compressor" has kicked in. :d
    J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson might have gone on to be better known as a songwriter than a singer, but I'm sure Richie Valens would've become a big superstar like Buddy Holly or Elvis. He was on a roll after "La Bamba" became a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Wow, it's been 50 years! Doesn't seem that long ago - guess my "old fart year compressor" has kicked in. :d
    J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson might have gone on to be better known as a songwriter than a singer, but I'm sure Richie Valens would've become a big superstar like Buddy Holly or Elvis. He was on a roll after "La Bamba" became a hit.
    Tarps,...........Maybe you're aware of this, but Waylon Jennings gave up his spot to "The Big Bopper" since Richardson was recovering from the flu. How fate plays a hand we'll never know. I was in 8th grade at the time. Don McClean expressed it so well in his song "American Pie."
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

WuhWuzDat
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    Hope he's leading the band up there ...
    [youtube]9R6pM2wcvfM[/youtube]

harleyman
    I love Zappa.....:woot: Moving to Montanna?????

I too remember the loss of the great three........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Tarps,...........Maybe you're aware of this, but Waylon Jennings gave up his spot to "The Big Bopper" since Richardson was recovering from the flu. How fate plays a hand we'll never know. I was in 8th grade at the time. Don McClean expressed it so well in his song "American Pie."
    I read somewhere once that for years Waylon really suffered from the "Survivor's syndrome" after giving up his seat.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I read somewhere once that for years Waylon really suffered from the "Survivor's syndrome" after giving up his seat.
    I also read that Kris Kristofferson was in the same boat. I can't remember all of that but seems that both gave up that flight to Buddy Holly and the rest.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I also read that Kris Kristofferson was in the same boat. I can't remember all of that but seems that both gave up that flight to Buddy Holly and the rest.
    Joe, it is 6:00 AM here. I just got up 15 mins ago and the coffee is still dripping. So, I could be wrong :costumes: However, I don't think Kristofferson was there? I was a fan of Kris Kristofferson and read a lot on his life. I found him to be a very interesting and paradoxical individual.

Kristofferson was the son of a USAF general. About the time of the crash he would have been in college or in England, where he was a Rhodes Scholar. Afterward he joined the Army and became a Captain and helicopter pilot.

Some of his early song writing was done when he worked 7 & 7 on offshore platforms in Louisiana as a helicopter pilot for PHI.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2024
    Zappa, next to Bill the Cat, the most worshiped idol I have! :d

From the accounts of the legendary "day the music died," and the fatal plane crash that took the lives of a pilot and three young performers are many as we look back from 50 years later.

According to the Palm Beach Post, one man's perspective is a bit more unique than most -- had he not given up his seat, he would have been on that tragic flight. The man is Dion DiMucci, leader of doo-wop group Dion and The Belmonts.

In early 1959, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper, and Dion and The Belmonts were on the Winter Dance Party tour, playing gigs all across the Midwest. "Rock and Roll wasn't a business. We were inventing it," Dion says. "It was very new. We didn't have any light shows. We just turned on the lights and turned on the mic."

On the night of February 2, Holly was fed up with traveling around from town to town in freezing cold buses, and arranged to charter a Beechcraft B35 Bonanza to the next gig. The Big Bopper was in too, leaving the third seat up for grabs. Dion says he won the coin toss, but gave up his seat to Valens.

Dion remembers telling Valens, who was sick and unaccustomed to the cold Midwest winter, " 'You need to get a hot bath and a warm room. You go.' I was in a group, and he was alone out there. I think I'm doing him a favor..." His voice trails off.

As the fated young performers headed to the airport, the rest of the entourage loaded up on the icy yellow school buses and headed off to Fargo ND, their next stop along the way.

Tour manager Sam Geller broke the tragic news to the others on the tour the next morning at a Fargo motel. "He came over to us as we were walking in with our suits hanging in bags over our shoulders and said, 'Hey, guys, something terrible happened. Their plane crashed. They're all gone.' "

"I remember just sitting there alone on the bus, and Buddy's guitar was on the back seat, Ritchie's outfit was hanging from the luggage rack ... There was the Big Bopper's hat, just sitting there," Dion says. "It was baffling to me. You just wonder what life is about, where you're going, what does it matter? My mind started spinning."

"They were so much a part of my life," Dion reflected from his home in Boca Raton, FL. "I didn't realize how much. All I know is, I still miss those guys.

It wasn't Kris Kristofferson Joe, it was Waylen Jennings. Jmig's right about Kristofferson being a very young man at that time.

Me, I was pimply teenage bronkin' buck with a pink carnation and a pick-up truck. :friday:

They had a big get-together for the anniversary of this tragic event. Buddy's wife and Richie's sister were in attendence, along with a few other suprises!

http://wcco.com/entertainment/day.th....2.925306.html

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Joe, it is 6:00 AM here. I just got up 15 mins ago and the coffee is still dripping. So, I could be wrong :costumes: However, I don't think Kristofferson was there? I was a fan of Kris Kristofferson and read a lot on his life. I found him to be a very interesting and paradoxical individual.

Kristofferson was the son of a USAF general. About the time of the crash he would have been in college or in England, where he was a Rhodes Scholar. Afterward he joined the Army and became a Captain and helicopter pilot.

Some of his early song writing was done when he worked 7 & 7 on offshore platforms in Louisiana as a helicopter pilot for PHI.
    I could be wrong too. I'm very dim on this. But I read a story printed in a paper or maybe an article somewhere. Maybe it wasn't K. K.
    My memory stick needs re-charging.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida