MVG3d's M.C.202 Folgore conversion WIP update

Thread: MVG3d's M.C.202 Folgore conversion WIP update

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Icon23 MVG3d's M.C.202 Folgore conversion WIP update

Hi everybody!

This W.I.P. update is long overdue, with all the excitement I stirred up a few weeks ago. I had hoped to release the conversion before Easter, but I missed my deadline. To top it off, I had some scary health troubles on Easter day, that my doc is still investigating about, therefore, since then, I had to go for a bunch of medical exams and lost a lot of time in the process.
    It looked like a heart attack, thank God it was nothing of the sort and the tests I did so far are very reassuring. Yet, doctors haven't figured out yet what made me faint and wake up later on in a First Aid department bed of the local hospital.

Then there's my job to attend to and everyday's life burdens.

Do not be discouraged. Everything was thoroughly tested:

• 8 model conversions;
    • every livery painted for them by Manuele Villa, a.k.a. MVG3d;
    • all of the CFS2 Flight Models developed by our good Captain Kurt;
    • again, Captain Kurt's CFS2 damage profiles;
    • early production series 2d/VC panels;
    • late production series 2d/VC panels.

What I have left to do is a good readme with install instructions and calculate perfectly how the entire conversion will have to be spilt up, in order to avoid the burden of a huge download. Let's not forget this conversion gathers three different packs MVG3d released for FS2004: a primary one plus two updates....

I think I'll have to do at least two pack, if not three, like the original FS9 uploads.

I am working on it, the conversion pack shall be uploaded soon.

KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Kelti, don't sweat the release, your health is more important. Have had some problems myself over the past 2 months, which has curtailed a lot of my free time, so I know what you are fighting through. Don't stress!
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Kelti,
    I second Wayland's post.
    Y'all know I went through 5 stents in coronary arteries back in the last week of 2015.
    We all understand life's challenges.
    Relax, breath, take care of you and your obligations. THEN, you can take some time to enjoy your/our hobby.
    Just realize, sitting at a computer for hours is not good for our health......so, time for my morning walk.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
    Kelti, don't sweat the release, your health is more important. Have had some problems myself over the past 2 months, which has curtailed a lot of my free time, so I know what you are fighting through. Don't stress!
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Icon26 Another small update

Thank you my friends!

My best wishes to both of you for your health as well. Health is one of those things we all take too much for granted and we only understand what we are missing when it's not there 100% anymore!

One more WIP report: Manuele Villa just agreed to do a working throttle/prop pitch/mixture panel texture that will look less like the stock F6F, that I used translating only its labels, and more like a standard Italian WWII fighter throttle panel.

CFS1 throttle panels for some reason do not work at all in my CFS2 rig. This is why I always use stock CFS2 throttle panels, allowing all of us who enjoy flying with all realism options maxed out, to tamper with mixture and prop pitch.

A must also for those very long-legged missions forcing maximum fuel conservation!

KH

Icon26 A probable release date

A good day to everybody!

The conversion details are almost complete. I decided to go for a single conversion pack, in order to reducing the risk of possible confusion with a multiple-pack download.

I hope to be able to upload the finished job within this week or, at the latest, next week.

Thank you for your patience!

KH

Many Thanks Stefano,
    to you and the other fellows involved in this project.
    Giuseppe

Hi KH,

I hope things are going well for you. Please try to take care of yourself.
    The events that you have control over...everything else is just life on this orbiting rock.

On another note I'm looking forward to your packaged MVG3d's M.C.202.
    This was no small chore.

Cheerz, Dave

Getting close....

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hi KH,

I hope things are going well for you. Please try to take care of yourself.
    The events that you have control over...everything else is just life on this orbiting rock.

On another note I'm looking forward to your packaged MVG3d's M.C.202.
    This was no small chore.

Cheerz, Dave
    Thank you, Dave!

It was no small chore for everybody involved. You and Mario Misson had your share of headaches to tune up the conversion of eight models. Captain Kurt had to study all kinds of technical data, to provide us with historically credible damage profiles and flight performance. The result is simply magnificent!

I have been working for the last month on clear, KISS-complying (I hope!), install and use instructions. The enclosed readme came out a XXXXL size.........

The pack will weigh between 70 and 80Mb and will include 2d/VC early and late panels, both in standard 1024 x 768 pixel resolution and Win7-onwards safe 1600 x 1200 pixel.

Plus 'what-if' damage profiles with payload and droptank provision for the late production Series 13, together with fuel management popup windows including an additional droptank switch and related airfiles with droptank enabling records.

All of the above obviously needed proper descriptive screenshots, which I am in the process of completing, to help people understand how to use all 2d/VC panel versions.

Each of the 22 splendid historical skins, by MVG3d and Huub Wink, is accurately described in 3 separate pdf documents, to which I added Regia Aeronautica WWII organisation comparative data. It will help people making sense among Squadriglia, Gruppo, Stormo units, compared to RAF and USAAF organisations.

I checked and re-checked everything a number of times, to be sure this release will not need separate correction updates, still I am not 100% satisfied every detail is ok.

What bothers me is that I could not find a good looking droptank model. Small enough to resemble the tiny 26.4 US gals. (100 litre) droptanks that were occasionally used by Co-belligerant Regia Aeronautica, when M.C.202 units were deployed to support Allied effort in the Balkans, during 1944.
    I used FDGv2's ex-DW F4F Wildcat droptanks, small enough, but not as streamlined as the ones pictured in the only existing photo of a Folgore equipped with droptanks.
    Those historical droptanks look almost as Japanese Zero ones, but they are at least 2/3 smaller. I tried all available D/Ts from all of my Axis and Allied addon collection, they all looked gigantic and hideous under the Folgore wings.

I'll get there!

Cheers!
    KH

Icon12 More updates...

A good day to everybody!

I just wanted to let you know last week I sent to some of the people involved in this project, plus a few more, a preview pack of MVG3d M.C.202 Folgore CFS2 conversion for their evaluations.

I got feedback from Rami and I duly applied the suggestions he sent me, but I am still waiting for more responses before deciding the project is completed and fit to be uploaded here.

As soon as I have the green light from everybody, I will upload.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers!
    KH

For more examples of your (and Manuels and.....everybodies) work, we have infinite patience........good things take time.

Members who have read this thread: 0