NVIDIA Driver Update FYI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Driver Update FYI

Blog Entries

NVIDIA Driver Update FYI

I updated my NVIDIA drivers to the current rev. 364.72 yesterday. Running Win10.

Good news is, no computer crashes, no program crashes, no FSX/P3D anomalies, nothing fell off, I didn't go blind and I'm still alive. Whew.

Interesting thing in P3D 3.2, FPS jumped up by a respectable percentage and smoothness is again improved. It may be my imagination, but it looks like the color improved as well.

Color has been a sticking point with me since 3.1, which seemed very weak compared to 2.5. I had it down to Dynamic Reflections which seem to muck about with color and antialiasing when enabled. As of yesterday's driver update, color in 3.2 seems somewhat better and after checking DR it seems that the option still needs to be used with discretion, especially on models that rely on Banana Bobs GlobalEnv to develop reflection as per the artists intent.

Shot below, a 4096/32bit texture set applied to the A2A T-6 Texan, running real world weather, in a monster scenery...all sliders WFO and no DR. Consistent 55+FPS.

From my chair, I can give the current NVIDIA driver a thumbs up.

NVIDIA Driver 364.72 in Prepar3D3.2 un-retouched screen cap.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Sounds interesting.

What are the results in FSX?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

I'd have thought you might have posted this in the P3D forum.

Dave

Gordon,

Thanks for being the guinea pig on the drivers.

Your comments about the color in v3.x mirror my sentiments vs. v2.5.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    I'd have thought you might have posted this in the P3D forum.

Dave
    This blog gets more traffic.

To be more concise, I tested the driver in FSX, FSX ST, Prepar3D 2.5 and Prepar3D 3.2. All of the simulators functioned perfectly. Across the board FPS and smoothness was improved. FSX is running Steve's DX10 fixer.

Prepar3D 3.2 is my simulator of choice, therefore I took the rendering from the simulator which most effectively conveys the performance of the NVIDIA g/card with current driver.

I made note of the color improvements in P3D as a matter of observation to share with the larger community. It does not make any sense for me to post two separate blogs in order to offer my observations on the driver update.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Yes, Thanks for being the guinea pig on the drivers.......
    Will download tonight

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Thanks G. for the HU.

I just installed the new drivers.

Don't know what changed but I still use Win 7 64.

Gordo/GE-

I had installed the latest drivers (as of 2 weeks ago 364.xx), but then after all the threads about issues rolled back to 361.43 and have been happy ever since. Are these drivers newer than the 346.xx version which were out 2 weeks ago? I TOO USE W7 x64.

Ta!

Carl

PS- Does anyone have advice re. affinity mask settings for a 6600k on P3d v3.2?

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thanks G. for the HU.

I just installed the new drivers.

Don't know what changed but I still use Win 7 64.

I am unaware of any issues or what they may be about. I still have my V358.50 if needed. So far so good, I use the GFORCE GTX 660. Don't know what kind of video board your are using there.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Gordo/GE-

I had installed the latest drivers (as of 2 weeks ago 364.xx), but then after all the threads about issues rolled back to 361.43 and have been happy ever since. Are these drivers newer than the 346.xx version which were out 2 weeks ago? I TOO USE W7 x64.

Ta!

Carl

PS- Does anyone have advice re. affinity mask settings for a 6600k on P3d v3.2?

I've tried 4 different drivers since building my current system,and all have been good. No problems, no hassles. After reading some of the positive reports about the 364.72's I decided to give them a try on my FSX Gold few days ago. I see no difference here... they're as good as the previous drivers I tried on my 970 and I have no increase in performance. Had no problems with installing and configuring this latest set.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Bumping this topic because I have a recent problem.
    I'm using the 364.72 with a GTX970 on Win 64 and P3D v3.2.
    I don't know what I did, but the antialiasing refuses to work. It's like it ignores the setting in the game. I tried with 8x, 4x etc... no changes.
    It was working fine before...

I have already tried to:
    - recompile the shaders
    - modify the settings in the NVidia Control Panel to ensure everything is on "application controlled".
    - same in NVidia Inspector, launched as admin

Anybody had a similar problem ?
    Now, there's yet a new driver available... I'm hesitating to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I updated my NVIDIA drivers to the current rev. 364.72 yesterday. Running Win10.

Good news is, no computer crashes, no program crashes, no FSX/P3D anomalies, nothing fell off, I didn't go blind and I'm still alive. Whew.
    Whoa there Tonto, I installed it and SWMBO went to Costco and spent over $300. I'm sure there is a correlation there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    This blog gets more traffic.....
    I agree....I get most of my P3D news over here.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

There's already a newer version:
    Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

QUESTION: I have a year or two old hi end system, running a factory o'c'd GTX 780. My drivers are the same ones it shipped with - 335.23.

Is it worth updating them? I have never found any improvement in FSX from driver updates. Only change them when there is a problem. If it ain't broke . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Bumping this topic because I have a recent problem.
    I'm using the 364.72 with a GTX970 on Win 64 and P3D v3.2.
    I don't know what I did, but the antialiasing refuses to work. It's like it ignores the setting in the game. I tried with 8x, 4x etc... no changes.
    It was working fine before...

I have already tried to:
    - recompile the shaders
    - modify the settings in the NVidia Control Panel to ensure everything is on "application controlled".
    - same in NVidia Inspector, launched as admin

Anybody had a similar problem ?
    Now, there's yet a new driver available... I'm hesitating to install it.
    I had a similar problem a little while ago. I would change the AA settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel or with NVIDIA Inspector but they would never stick when I tried to save them. I tried to just install a new driver over the old one using the clean installation option followed by uninstalling first using the Windows uninstall option but neither technique solved the problem for me. Following a tip on another forum, I completely uninstalled the graphics driver using Display Driver Uninstaller (https://tinyurl.com/zaf4h2r) and then reinstalled it. Everything then worked perfectly - I downloaded the latest driver available but use whatever you're happy with. I would recommend leaving out the 3D Vision driver and GeForce Experience (it seems to cause more problems than it solves) but keep PhysX.

Hmm... I'll try the complete reinstall without GeForce Experience then. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Hmm... I'll try the complete reinstall without GeForce Experience then. Thanks for the advice.
    You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.

Had the same anti-aliasing problem as Daube in FSX after a driver upgrade to release 365.10.

First of all, the default driver profile for FSX is now called "Microsoft Flight Simulator 10".

Second, I got anti-aliasing back by setting the AA behaviour flag to "None" and the AA mode to "Override" in NivdiaInspector. 8xS now works again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Had the same anti-aliasing problem as Daube in FSX after a driver upgrade to release 365.10.

First of all, the default driver profile for FSX is now called "Microsoft Flight Simulator 10".

Second, I got anti-aliasing back by setting the AA behaviour flag to "None" and the AA mode to "Override" in NivdiaInspector. 8xS now works again.

What he said /\ /\
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I am already using the same values for these settings unfortunately.
    Additionally, I recognize I didn't describe the problem correctly: in fact, the antialiasing from the game is working. But only on the edges of the objects.
    For example, the edges of my plane are not aliased, no problems. The antialiasing isn't top-notch, but there is definitely a difference between on and off there.
    However, the lines which are "inside" the silhouette of the plane are completely aliased. This is especially visible with the lines on the repaints, for example. It's like there's no antialiasing at all...

Anyways, I have just installed the 365.10, with a full uninstall/reinstall as recommended. Now launching the sim to check if there are any differences.

No joy, the problem still exists, exactly as before.
    This time I took a screenshot though:

You can see the top edge of the plane (white) is smooth, but the limit between the while and the blue painted areas is aliased as if it were 1995...
    And it's the same problem for any "edges" in the paintings (blue/red ribbon, passenger windows etc...)

Easy there, 1995 had much, much worse visuals.

Have you tried taking this to the P3D forums or looking for a solution there?
    I think this might more be an issue with P3D instead of the drivers per se.

I don't know. It was working just fine in P3Dv3.2 until not so long ago...
    I'm pretty sure I changed something in the driver settings, but i can't remember what.
    Also, I installed that shaders mod. I will revert it just to try.

Blog Entries
    Daube,

What resolution are you running?
    Are you in Windows 10...?

Maybe in the P3D forum post up some screenies of your settings.

I know that in Win10 my visual/display performance can vary quite a bit depending upon what the OS is getting up to at any given moment.

I bumped up to NVIDIA driver 365.10 and am not getting the saw teeth you are experiencing, but I do get other anomalies across the board...but only occasionally.

BTW...I did the shaders mod and got into a lot of ugly issues. I ended requiring a complete, clean re-install of v3.2 to get rid of it. I looked for the same in FSX/ST (no shader tweaks), and no problems. The shader tweak did not like my install....atall.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 0