Windows 10 killed my CFS3

Thread: Windows 10 killed my CFS3

Windows 10 killed my CFS3

Hello all,

I tried some of the settings the admins had in a previous thread to no avail.

My PC upgraded manually to windows 10 and now my CFS3 wont run at all.

I guess this is it for my flying time if I cant get it to work again.

Any help appreciated in advance.

Could be from a Windows update. MS broke SafeDisc and SecuROM. I don't know if CFS3 uses SafeDisc or SecuROM but it may be a place to start.

http://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-...8-7-and-vista/
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    MS has been sending out some nasty Updates of late.
    Check and see if you have KB 3086255 loaded.
    if so uninstall this.
    And your CFS3 should run again.
    I have a list of Updates for my Win 7 I was advised not to load, recently I had several issues with ALL my different CFS3 installs.
    And after reloading the entire computer to factory spoecs, I discovered all the issues were from MS updates to Win 7.

KB 3086255 is the update that kills SafeDisc and SecuROM as said in my link.

I'm not sure if you can re-enable SafeDisc and SecuROM with Win 10. The link I posted covers re-enabling SafeDisc and SecuROM for Win 7 and 8 but says that Win 10 has the driver has been completely removed. I don't know if uninstall KB 3086255 will put the secdrv.sys back for Win 10.

I know of a number of CFS2 that have gotten hit with this bad update. The have had to uninstall or change to a No CD .exe. A No CD .exe seem to be the best for Win 10 users.

Sorry if the CFS3 admins don't like talk of a No CD .exe....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

My only Win 10 hiccup was that I had it set to run as admin and it wouldn't run. Once I turned 'run as admin' off, things were fine.

W10 wiped out my tax return program and subsequent work on the returns.
    Was flying about quite happily in FSX when without warning BAM! a brief light blue screen " windows has encountered an unrecoverable error and will reboot to try and repair the problem"
    The reboot failed (of course) and it then went into recovery mode with no option to save new files since last back up on March 28. So there we have it.

I'm not using W10 as my regular OS, but for evaluation. I've updated tonight and a quick flip in CFS3 was successful again, thanks to the method in the sticky thread above. Your mileage may vary, unfortunately...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

There is no KB file of that nature on my PC.

Im trying everything to get my game re-installed with no luck.

Now it seems as if Im hanging up my wings for good if I dont get any luck.

Say again, message is garbled.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Hello all,

There is no KB 3086255 update or any file of that kind on my PC.

I re-installed my cfs3 with no luck.

Windows 10 isn't playing nice. There is no way I can open my game on this PC.

I guess Microsoft will make another windows 10 compatible CFS someday. Until then I'm done.

I haven't been flying CFS3, but had problems with CFS1 and 2 and FSX with Windows 10.
    You can use this option to get back to your previous settings:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/
    Then try
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/297...7-and-8-1.html
    to give you the option to upgrade at your preference.
    jbtate

I have both 32 and 64 bit Windows 10 and have installed CFS 1, CFS 3 and FS 9 on the 32 bit machine under C:/Microsoft Games/ and with some tweaking they seem to run fairly normally. On the 64 bit machine I have installed CFS 2, and CFS 3, and FSX. The CFS's seem to need the no CD fix to run on this machine otherwise they won't start. If I start FSX in windowed mode (for the load and exit screens) and then switch to full screen it's okay, but I have to remember to switch back to windowed mode before exiting.

Just a reminder to try the advice in the sticky thread Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now and a request to keep us informed of the details when you use "some tweaking". Thanks!
    Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0