NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX - Page 16
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

An Updated Version with Sound and Boat Traffic

Since I am still waiting (patiently simulloyd, honest) for the custom tower and hangers 20-24, I have been tweaking to get this to work right and I believe that I've done it. Then my FSX crashed big time and I had to totally remove everything and start from scratch with installation. I have all my addons (minus the ones I don't use anymore) up and operating including this version of KNGZ with ALL the taxiway links, designations and runway paths working and NO FAULTS (that matter) and today I got a progressive taxi from Alameda Ground. There was an ATIS at NAS Alameda but we can't tune it because it was UHF military radio (284.2) and we can't do that in FSX. I assigned a frequency in the lower range that the comm's use but it doesn't work and I can't get any answers why so I use FSXWX for my METAR and real weather.

Here is the link to Version 3.1.2a of NAS Alameda with all the addons. In case you don't have it, I included the Kittyhawk and Constellation in a zip folder. I also correctly installed the TACAN/COR in its proper location. If you have the RFN421 Carrier Gauge and TACAN you can dial in TACAN Channel 78X (113.10) for the field. I've got it installed in my COD but haven't flown out to the carrier with it yet.

Here's the link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt1vj8mayg...ddons.zip?dl=0

Drop me a PM if you have any problems or suggestions and we'll keep on keepin' on with it.

A Jeep Tour of NAS Alameda

Yesterday afternoon I took the FSX Jeep CJ and drove around the base to check it out. Boy was that fun! All the roads are driveable as I had hoped when I designed the base. I am going to go in and put the "STOP" at the proper intersections as some street signs and SPEED LIMITS on the streets where they belong too. Here are some pictures from yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Towers  and permiter fence.jpg   East Gate.jpg   Enlisted Housing.jpg  

Richard,

I honestly have not kept up with the progress of your project, as I've had too many other real-life stuff happening lately. But your detail work is truly amazing!

I hope someday to see NAS Cecil Field recreated to that level. The problem is, except for a few photos I've been able to collect from the internet over the years, I've not been able to locate much on the history of Cecil. What really surprised me is that the Naval Aviation Museum has almost no information about the base. NC

NAS Cecil Field

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Richard,

I honestly have not kept up with the progress of your project, as I've had too many other real-life stuff happening lately. But your detail work is truly amazing!

I hope someday to see NAS Cecil Field recreated to that level. The problem is, except for a few photos I've been able to collect from the internet over the years, I've not been able to locate much on the history of Cecil. What really surprised me is that the Naval Aviation Museum has almost no information about the base. NC
    Perhaps when NAS Alameda is "in the can". I know it would be much easier after so much I had to learn creating Alameda and the area around it. I knew nothing about Model Creator, Sketchup, and only a little about Airport Designer much less anything about sounds or traffic files. Now that I am totally confused not just a little LOL!!! I may tackle Cecil Field next as we say in Church..."If The Lord tarries..." Thank you for the compliment and encouragement. Every time that I think that I've got some area done, I think of something else to add or make better. I guess that is the real fun in this though. I have my FSX up to date having to check out everything to be sure it works and this week I just finished adding the "Homeport Club" EM club and IMHO it's not bad. With the latest traffic.bgl, USS Kittyhawk, CVA-63 departs NAS Alameda for NAS San Diego anchoring off of North Island tomorrow morning at "O-dark-thirty", a 21.25 hour cruise. Keep up with us and all our updates.

Sittin on the dock of the bay

Took some shots of an appropriate vehicle at NAS Alameda in a Navy Jeep while on security patrol. While looking at the pics, click on the you tube video as you; some of the lyrics bring back memories for me
    when I was sitting on the dock of the bay at Grande Island (Subic bay) and heard that song playing back in late '67 when I was stationed there. I think Otis Redding mentions about heading for the Frisco bay; NAS Alameda seemed appropriate.

Just scroll down to view a few pictures and take in the music.....

Sitting on the dock contd

Welcome aboard

I am having issues with ADEX opening up your latest bgl file. It says, failed to decompile. Other airports work just fine.
    Also where is your main gate as pictured above ^. Do you have more then one gate entrance?

Main Gate

The main gate in V3.1.2a doesn't look like what you show here. Is this a proposed gate to a future release? I hovered around in a helo and the only gate I could find doesn't look like this one

More like this one

Last edited by gray eagle; June 12th, 2016 at 16:36.

Latest Version

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    The main gate in V3.1.2a doesn't look like what you show here. Is this a proposed gate to a future release? I hovered around in a helo and the only gate I could find doesn't look like this one

More like this one

Really cool USN jeep can you send me that? Here is the latest version of Alameda with all the updates I have made since version 3.1.2a, sound and traffic.bgls included as well as a texture of VR-30 for the G7-C1AX COD available here from Milton Shupe. Have fun guys. Again as above please post or PM me of needed changes/glitches so that they can be fixed before the next Version is ready for release. Wasn't that a real time driving around the base?

Here's the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tecx4ievaj82jd5/KNGZ%20V312b%20and%20addons.zip?dl=0

Slippin one by

There is no getting by with anything here LOL. Navy chief just PMd me about the sound file in the latest Version 3.1.2b of NAS Alameda and "lo and behold" I boo-boo'd when including the sound bgl. That goes to show ya not to try and do anything serious and involved at midnight. Anyway...here is the correct sound folder for the latest update with the Forrestal and Constellation 1MC announcements so far. I say so far because I will be working on them further now that I spent yesterday morning tracking Constellation out and back to figure out that she is out from 0600-1030 local Pacific Daylight Time (13:00Z-17:30Z) and can do the return to port announcements and then the evening departure and return announcements to add. Here is the dropbox link to the morning announcements and seagulls for both ships. Forrestal's announcements are from Reveille to Taps throughout the day since they were easier to figure out being a static object. You can overwrite any files in sounds or effects without hurting anything since they are all unique to NAS Alameda. Remove the CVA59 sound bgl from the KNGZ scenery folder and replace it with the one in here. You will only hear the sounds from Connie until she departs out of sight because the sounds are attached to a scenery folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk0s6vjgct...fects.zip?dl=0

I am experimenting with USS Kittyhawk transiting between Alameda and North Island. Its still in the development stages as I learn about this strictly through trial and error with both the traffic file and the sound file. My goal is to get da "hawk" to depart Alameda with 1MC, transit to North Island and then put the arrival sounds of the 1MC on the Kittyhawk to the North island scenery folder. Yesterday by changing times in the World Time tab I followed her into North Island but when she got there she disappeared and reappeared at Alameda. I have a round-trip route that I followed for Constellation which works perfectly and though my documents about Boat Traffic talk about ferry tracks, this way works so I am going to replot Kittyhawk and see what happens. It is a 21.5 hour trip at 25 knots one way so testing is by changing times and the day in the folder. If it works you'll see it here. Otherwise I'll toss it on the discard pile with the other stuff that didn't work like I wanted it to. Enjoy

Richard

Thanks Richard NC

Just thought of another sound effect idea. What about adding morning and evening Colors?

https://youtu.be/-6rYqyPdpEQ

Thanks Richard NC

Just thought of another sound effect idea. What about adding morning and evening Colors?

Here are the current sounds that are played throughout the day aboard Forrestal. This was actually a test to see how it worked and I like it so I will probably setup a schedule of sounds for the whole day as they were aboard ship with maybe 24 sounds. I have recorded a GQ drill; Fire Drill; Liberty Call...any others post here or PM me either one. Without much study its not possible at the present time with MY knowledge to mate 1MC to an ai carrier. Also the trip to San Diego for Kittyhawk is postponed until I feel like "wasting" more time on it. FSX says it works and compiles but it lies. LOL so I have re-routed CV63 50 miles out approx and back in one trip for "shakedown" at 8 hour intervals. It will be in the next upgrade in a few days with maybe more sounds inport.
    Forrestal Sounds
    Captain Arriving
    Reveille
    Morning Colors
    Test Alarms
    8 Bells Noon
    8 Bells retreat
    Taps

My sincere thanks to Navy Chief and everyone else for your tips, suggestions, GOOD criticisms to help make Alameda top notch to the best of our abilities. "Not bad for government work???"

Thanks Richard NC

Excellent idea Navy Chief . One quick question , don't vehicles , as a common courtesy , suppose to stop during the times of morning and evenings colors ? I noticed in the video the car driving around . It's been too many years for me to remember the rules about cars . If your walking and hear the colors I do remember . Sorry , didn't want to stray off topic .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Excellent idea Navy Chief . One quick question , don't vehicles , as a common courtesy , suppose to stop during the times of morning and evenings colors ? I noticed in the video the car driving around . It's been too many years for me to remember the rules about cars . If your walking and hear the colors I do remember . Sorry , didn't want to stray off topic .

Rich
    Hey Rich,

So much has changed with the Navy since I retired in '97 (no further comment ), but vehicles are supposed to stop, and anyone walking must stop as well, and face the direction of the flagpole on base (and salute, if in uniform).

I used to love hearing Taps played, when aboard ship; Reveille too. I have a ship's clock at my home (no surprise, eh?). I forget to wind it all too often, but my wife isn't a fan of it because it wakes her at night with the sound of ships bells.

Absolute fantastic work done on Alameda, Rich. Never been there, unfortunately. Was on Moffett once, and at North Island for one weekend (on det to the Kitty). But almost all of my time was on the East Coast, until my last squadron at Whidbey. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Rich
    You are totally correct about the vehicles stopping when colors is announced which is the bugle call to Attention. I remember that at both NS Norfolk and NS GLAKES as well as NAS Glenview all of which I spent considerable time at. If you can figure out how I can coordinate the airport vehicles stopping with the Colors effect and sound.wav I'll do it LOL kidding. I'm having enough trouble just getting the sound effects on time. I DID actually investigate how to have Church Call to Divine Services, but it entails replacing the sound.bgl each Sunday morning before 0900 local time and I thought that was too much trouble. What is fun I think is all the memories these posts awaken in us "old salts" here. Like the chief used to say to me when I first came aboard "He could ring more saltwater out of his socks than us new guys have sailed on". Now we're all the old guys talkin about the good ol days.

Hey Rich,

So much has changed with the Navy since I retired in '97 (no further comment ), but vehicles are supposed to stop, and anyone walking must stop as well, and face the direction of the flagpole on base (and salute, if in uniform).

I used to love hearing Taps played, when aboard ship; Reveille too. I have a ship's clock at my home (no surprise, eh?). I forget to wind it all too often, but my wife isn't a fan of it because it wakes her at night with the sound of ships bells.

Absolute fantastic work done on Alameda, Rich. Never been there, unfortunately. Was on Moffett once, and at North Island for one weekend (on det to the Kitty). But almost all of my time was on the East Coast, until my last squadron at Whidbey. NC

I was wondering that as well but I thought perhaps it wasn't something the Navy did.
    I Know some Army girl got busted for posting a shot of herself ducking out on it a couple a three years ago.

Wow, I have one of those ship's clocks too. Gotta wind both the main spring and the bells spring every 8 days.

[QUOTE=Navy Chief;1027810]Hey Rich,

. I have a ship's clock at my home (no surprise, eh?). I forget to wind it all too often, but my wife isn't a fan of it because it wakes her at night with the sound of ships bells.

NAS Alameda Base Colors

Since this evening when Navy Chief brought up Morning and Evening Colors, I have been busy. Below is a dropbox link for Morning and Evening Colors played over the Base Loudspeakers centered on the Admin Building with a radius to be heard as they should around the base. I tried them out and they are cool. Evening Colors is being correctly played at the local sunset time of 20:25 for June according to Headquarters Directive coordinating Armed Forces Bases. I plan to issue updates when the sunset time has changed to being half hours earlier in the Fall and Winter since it doesn't get later than this. (My wife says I'm a fanatic but my old Marine partner said we do it right or we don't do it.) Enjoy. I have modified the two files from CVA59 not to conflict so replace them with these 2 files in the sound folder. You can listen to the .wav files on your Windows Media player.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52m34hy9a01vwl1/NAS%20Alameda%20Base%20Colors.zip?dl=0

Adding Morning & Evening Colors is a really nice touch, Rich. Thanks!

Memories of a time that just does NOT seem that long ago

Go Navy. Have a good evening, shipmates. NC

Marine jeep at the gate

All,
    Please forgive my slow updates. I wanted to include a good level of details on the rails and stairs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower Updates_15 June.JPG  

Da Tower

You surely are! This looks beautiful. Keep up the good work. Waiting patiently. I've been tweaking stuff in the meantime, too.

Floating Sign

I don't know why the NAS sign is floating in the air and some of the gate house detail is missing. I do have a couple of free Orbx sceneries installed and they installed, a control panel to the desktop.
    I adjusted the scenery complexity settings from full left to full right with no differences. So, I am open to any suggestions

Looks like the support posts for the over head sign is missing or not drawing out. I looked that a picture of what it is supposed to look like and it looks like I am missing about 20%~
    of what is needed. There are quite a few photo textures in the scenery folder (dds format) that DXTBMP won't open (Access violations) perhaps that is the problem.
    Which DDS file (name) is of the east gate with the marine saluting? I wanted to check that one out and go from there.

Why are is there a thumbnail of an aircraft carrier in the texture folder?

New Textures

I don't know why the NAS sign is floating in the air and some of the gate house detail is missing. I do have a couple of free Orbx sceneries installed and they installed, a control panel to the desktop.
    I adjusted the scenery complexity settings from full left to full right with no differences. So, I am open to any suggestions

Looks like the support posts for the over head sign is missing or not drawing out. I looked that a picture of what it is supposed to look like and it looks like I am missing about 20%~
    of what is needed. There are quite a few photo textures in the scenery folder (dds format) that DXTBMP won't open (Access violations) perhaps that is the problem.
    Which DDS file (name) is of the east gate with the marine saluting? I wanted to check that one out and go from there.

Why are is there a thumbnail of an aircraft carrier in the texture folder?
    I am going to check the texture folders from the last release and my latest release as well as the texture folder for the East Gate and get back to you. As my works, something had to get messed up between me to you for some reason. I DO know that ORBX NA messes with our NAS Alameda and Woogey is using his version with the guys over at MCAS Miramar Flying Club (I'm a member there) ORBX was going to make an exclude to install so that my KNGZ could be used by ORBX people if they wanted to before their site crashed. I am sure that is not a priority right now understandably.

I just had some chores to do and am going to eat lunch now so I will get back on this. Have a good afternoon.

Richard

I downloaded/installed the Base Colors sound files. I set the time for Evening Colors; was on the ramp & did not hear the sounds. Flew onto the Forrestal deck & reset time again. I could faintly hear the sound, but barely. Figured I would fly over to the terminal, which I did. Reset the time, and heard nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Where should I be situated on the base to hear the sounds?

Also, I noticed a possible scenery error? This black building on the ramp, next to a hangar? NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black building.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 3