NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

Uh oh,

ADE 1.62 fails to decompile your scenery! I can't edit it at all. Did you guys use ADE, or a different program?

Same for me as well. I got the ADE 1.70 and same issue. ADE will decompile other sceneries just not the Alameda one for some reason. I left I post at FSDeveloper about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogey View Post
    Uh oh,

ADE 1.62 fails to decompile your scenery! I can't edit it at all. Did you guys use ADE, or a different program?

Permission

I know there are a lot of ORBX users out there...ORBX was going to do that early on but after their disaster it didn't happen. Fix and post it in this thread.

I think I'm about done with this place. It's a strain on my FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I know there are a lot of ORBX users out there...ORBX was going to do that early on but after their disaster it didn't happen. Fix and post it in this thread.
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 30th, 2016 at 15:24.

It is bad on FPS, which I can remedy. The disconcerting thing is I am now getting OOMS after a few minutes. I got them right away in P3d. After turning down my settings it lasted a little longer. The scary part is I get OOM's now in FSX, which I never have before. I believe this might be the symptoms of a memory leak? I am not well versed in this phenomena, so I can't say fore sure. This is ashame because the buildings look great for the most part! If these buildings were compiled into their own object library, I could then place them with IS3. In this way, I could fine tune the detail/performance ratio on my system at least.

-Woog

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I think I'm about done with this place. It's a strain on my FPS.

I'm sorry you can't use it. Did you set your FSX settings like the chart in the folder or does it still hog. I can get 10-25 that way and I don't see any loss in visual appeal. Also no ai's they hog too.

My Ignorance

When I started this project, I had done nothing in ADE except a few small FS9 local airports that FS9 defaults looked nothing like their real counterparts so I created them with default buildings and they were a lot closer. Then I decided to do this project because I thought it was really cool. I have learned Sketchup, MDCX and ADEX 1.62. My buildings are not all perfect i know but simulloyd fixed and also built a number of them. Every object is an MDL from MDCX and placed in ADEX. In order for ME to compile the airport I have to have every MDL on the desktop. As I said this worked for me. I don't if that is correct or not. Dimus was going to show me how to place the bgl's but he has gotten into real life I think. Also I tried with the FSX Object Placer but could not master it. I am not defending the project here by no means. I am sorry that after all the anticipation you guys have problems.

Looked up Out Of Memory (OOMs)

Googled this. I didn't put it together but in the past I HAVE had it. Kosta's Flight Sim World says: 64bit OS + 32bit application (FSX) = up to 4GB VAS
    (32bit OS + 32bit application = 2GB of VAS

When this space fills up, you are presented by windows with a very nice message that your memory is low and the application will now close. FSX is going to quit.
    What we should be aware of, is how much our addons use. Some use more, some use less, but they always take some VAS space. And most importantly, due to nature of FSX, this space is not freed as you fly along, nor has anyone yet come up with a plan how to free it up or fix this problem. So for example: you start your flight with an addon aircraft and addon airport, and your VAS usage is 2800MB. When you fly along, this usage will slowly grow. If you don’t overfly any other addon airports, it is bound to grow maybe couple of 100 MBs. let’s say for the sake of an example: up to 3200MB. When you come into range of your destination, and let’s assume you have an addon airport, which loads about 300MB into VAS, you will successfully land, as you will end up with 3500MB VAS.
    But, let’s assume another scenario, in which you overfly two airports on the way to your destination, or you have some photoscenery, or or or, and the VAS usage grows up to 3700MB until descend. Now you can pretty much sure your sim is 99% going to crash on landing with out of memory = OOM error.

KNGZ NAS Alameda is 863MB scenery, textures, sound files etc. The airport by itself without sounds or ai is 323MB. I don't believe that is a problem. As Kosta says, there may be a lot of other hogs contributing to the problem. I flew from NAS Miramar to NAS Alameda a week or so ago and had no problem at all. But that was no sounds or ai and the Milton Shupe G7-C1AX COD. I would say to check all the scenery you have active you fly over and what aircraft you fly. I feel that 323MB of Alameda should not kill FSX.

This again is to be a help. You waited so long for this and we worked so hard on it...I don't want it to be shelved if you can help it.

OOM=Out Of Memory error. This error happens as a result of the 32 bit limitation of FSX based platforms. However, I have never had it happen to me in FSX. Basically your memory cache gets filled up, and the sim can not load anything causing an error. This then leads to a shut down of the Sim. In testing this morning, I turned off 20gb of Scenery, and launched in the least resource hungry aircraft I had (The Ultralight). After turning my sliders down to about 50%, I was able to move around the scenery. However, closing in on 5 minutes of exploration, I get the OOM still.

Unfortunately for me, this makes the scenery absolutely unusable! I want to love it, but right now Nogo.

Is there any way you guys could compile the buildings into a object library .bgl file? I could then put together a "light version" of the scenery for testing? See if I can pinpoint the source of the problem?

-Woog

OOM=Out Of Memory error. This error happens as a result of the 32 bit limitation of FSX based platforms. However, I have never had it happen to me in FSX. Basically your memory cache gets filled up, and the sim can not load anything causing an error. This then leads to a shut down of the Sim. In testing this morning, I turned off 20gb of Scenery, and launched in the least resource hungry aircraft I had (The Ultralight). After turning my sliders down to about 50%, I was able to move around the scenery. However, closing in on 5 minutes of exploration, I get the OOM still.

Unfortunately for me, this makes the scenery absolutely unusable! I want to love it, but right now Nogo.

Is there any way you guys could compile the buildings into a object library .bgl file? I could then put together a "light version" of the scenery for testing? See if I can pinpoint the source of the problem?

-Woog
    When I was having some flickering problems I removed all of the housing and outlying buildings and just kept the airport but that only got it down to 237MB from 323MB. I found my problem was not memory for the flickering but placement on the buildings. I don't believe that we can do that with the buildings. Wish we had some other input here from other users beside gray eagle.

All of the versions from 1-final are in this post and the dropbox links are still there. Download an early version and see.

To further pin it down to your scenery, I might add that. I start at your scenery and only explore it. I have no other addons in the area. Oom. Turn of your scenery, No OOM. Turn back on all my super drtailed airports, and increase my sliders to max detail. No Oom.

This is why I believe it my be a memory leak issue. While your airport may not be that large in data, if that data keeps building, it will eventually fill up the cache. I do not know enough to tell you any more about the condition unfortunately. I can say though, that you could get much better frame rates if you combined some of these textures onto one square texture sheet. I think the drawcalls are killing framerates, a completely seperate issue from the Oom's.

-Woog

When I was having some flickering problems I removed all of the housing and outlying buildings and just kept the airport but that only got it down to 237MB from 323MB. I found my problem was not memory for the flickering but placement on the buildings. I don't believe that we can do that with the buildings. Wish we had some other input here from other users beside gray eagle.

All of the versions from 1-final are in this post and the dropbox links are still there. Download an early version and see.
    Let me ask a couple of people. Would you be willing to let someone come in and compile these buildings into a file similar to what MAIW, or Jim Dhaenens method?

-Woog

I hope you are not offended, I can see every bit of work you put into this project, and appreciate it all! I am sorry that we are hzving problems as well. This scenery has so much potential! It is by far the most detailed representation of Alameda to date. I have not been able to make a 3d building yet. I applaud your efforts. Now we just need to tune her up!

Did you say you did the final compile with ADE X? I wonder why we can't decompile? Is there a "lock airport button" checked when you compile it?

-Woog

I am flattered by the interest in our work. Six months ago I had only intended to build the control tower...

One area I know for sure that has flickering issues is where 2 adjoining walls are bleeding thru each other. Also inside that same hangar the floor had extra textures that were slightly above the base texture and causes shimmer. I can fix those issues. But what I really hope to do is get this thing a usable product for everyone. There are a lot of structural detailed objects that went into this project. Toward the end of the work I started experimenting with using one box and shaping it into many connected buildings to cut down on interior walls as just an example. I am learning some new techniques also with a couple of other Navy and Army bases that are in the works and eventually I would like to get good at other tools such as Blender and Gmax.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aku0hzgawa...01.14.png?dl=0

Hello Lloyd,

Do you know what is up with the textures on the Seaplane hangar doors? They look almost black in my install. At first I though it was P3d, but they look black-ish in FSX as well.

-Woog

Richard, check your email.

Ok

Dimus just emailed me and I am going to send him what he requested and he is going to fix this for everyone to use without problems. Watch this thread.

I'll have a look guys. No promises...

The New I Hope

Here is a dropbox link to a modified NAS Alameda based on Dimus observations though he couldn't fix it. With those rec's I changed and remade a number of buildings so that the airport would be gentler on the fps's. The wrecking ball has leveled the NEX Gas station and a small FSX self-serve is in its place. The commissary is also closed so you'all have to go to Piggley-Wiggley. LOL. I STILL have no problem in my FSX(A). Yes I DO have slower fps off and on but I get between 10 low to 37 high consistently on the ground even with a MJ C47 V3 on the tarmac. Better with this "Simple" version.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a problem that would be silly so I spent the afternoon and this evening trying to fix it for you being stuck here with a lousy cold. Here is the link. Please lmk here if you still get minus fps's or OOMs with this one. I have not gotten an OOM since I switched OS to Windows 7 64bit from XP 32 bit. My system is a Dell desktop with Intel CORE2 CPU with 2GHZ 4GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD5450 video card. Certainly not a state of the art system by today's standards. I am currently set to Uichi's standards in FSX which I included in the Final Version Folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4669ol1lh...imple.zip?dl=0

Hello Lloyd,

Do you know what is up with the textures on the Seaplane hangar doors? They look almost black in my install. At first I though it was P3d, but they look black-ish in FSX as well.

-Woog
    Woog,

The almost black door textures are just badly shaded photos that I used for those doors. I can rework the individual texture file for those doors with better matching colors to the true color.

Thanks for pointing out the issues.

Would you mind if I put together a few custom Texture sheets, that you could then map to your objects? Part of the problem that we are having with frame rates and memory issues, are the sheer number of textures that the simulator has to sift through, call up and place on the objects. The other part is the flight simulator likes square textures, IE: 4096x4096 or 2048x2048 for example. A lot of the textures of you guys used, can be combined onto one square sheet. For example one hanger, should be able to get all four sides onto one sheet, with the top/Roof maybe being on another sheet.

-Woog

Looks like Woogey is addressing FPS issues ^ and offering perhaps additional solutions to this project. So, do we go with your latest incarnation here or wait for
    for feedback from Woogey? BTW, were you planning on painting a "59" on the FID (island) moored at the pier?

Here is a dropbox link to a modified NAS Alameda based on Dimus observations though he couldn't fix it. With those rec's I changed and remade a number of buildings so that the airport would be gentler on the fps's. The wrecking ball has leveled the NEX Gas station and a small FSX self-serve is in its place. The commissary is also closed so you'all have to go to Piggley-Wiggley. LOL. I STILL have no problem in my FSX(A). Yes I DO have slower fps off and on but I get between 10 low to 37 high consistently on the ground even with a MJ C47 V3 on the tarmac. Better with this "Simple" version.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a problem that would be silly so I spent the afternoon and this evening trying to fix it for you being stuck here with a lousy cold. Here is the link. Please lmk here if you still get minus fps's or OOMs with this one. I have not gotten an OOM since I switched OS to Windows 7 64bit from XP 32 bit. My system is a Dell desktop with Intel CORE2 CPU with 2GHZ 4GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD5450 video card. Certainly not a state of the art system by today's standards. I am currently set to Uichi's standards in FSX which I included in the Final Version Folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4669ol1lh...imple.zip?dl=0

The New Version

I would like to see if someone can get improvements from the changes I made per Dimus and Woogey about the high number of "faces". If its good for you guys then use the new one. I noticed that somehow the Forrestal textures of flight deck marking and island marking disappeared. These programs do what they want...if its what you want too then your ok...otherwise the software has an attitude problem. The tutorials that I downloaded back when NEVER gave any indication of problems. Sketchup especially spoons feeds all of its users. Its help is phooey. I am really glad that I am done with the evil threesome software. I don't know if Uichi can or wants to do anything with it. If he can fix it I sent him thru Woogey all of it. Only time will tell... Let me know what the "simple" KNGZ is like in your FSX and Prepar3d programs. I will put a patch CVA59 texture folder here to add to the airport textures.

Alrighty Richard,

If you want to package up your .mdl files in to a .zipped folder and send them to my E-Mail: P.Woog1@Gmail.com Henry and I will play around with these a bit, and see if we can't get a slightly more usable scenery. Once we have a testable airport, I want to send them back to you directly. As you and Lloyd did the hard work over the last 6 months or so, it is only fair that you guys be the ones the approve of, and release to the public. 😊

Sincerely, Preston "Woogey" Martin

Members who have read this thread: 4