NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX - Page 13
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 356789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: NAS Alameda, CA KNGZ for FSX

This all looks promising Richard. If I drive thru the gate in BOB with my red bumper sticker I guess I'll get a fast arm wave to hop on in.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    This really looks great! Through much effort tonight I managed to finish the Eastgate guardshack from photos including a Marine in Dress Blues saluting from the 3D Warehouse. Windows came from the warehouse too. It only took 3 hours. I am sure that this simple 4-square flatroof building woulda taken a Sketchup pro only a 1/2 hour but hey it's my second attempt at Sketchup. My gate guard aircraft pylons are lookin good at the gates too. I'm not freeloadin' on ya. LOL. Keep up your good work. I saw the Main Gate building complex in the 3D Warehouse. I feel a little confident now to tackle it. Maybe after I do I will be weeping like a girl (LOL) but tonight I'm on Cloud 9. TTYL.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    This all looks promising Richard. If I drive thru the gate in BOB with my red bumper sticker I guess I'll get a fast arm wave to hop on in.
    I spent about 4 hours until going to school to teach flight today on the Main Gate. It was a battle but little by little I'm getting the hang of Sketchup. It is really cool but it has its own way of doing things which is what the tutorials say. If you know AutoCAD it won't help too much. Disappointed that the file format that has to be used for Model Converter X (dae) does NOT export text or a few other things so I was unable to put FLY NAVY on the A-7 pylon at the EAST GATE like the photos I have. Here is a pic of the Main Gate Building under construction. Thanks to simulloyd who put me onto the basic buildings over in 3D Warehouse. I was able to start with that, figure out how to separate parts and then add all the windows, doors, gates etc. to it. Then changed the colors to match as close as possible to the photos I downloaded. Next is the Gatehouse with another Marine or two. Again, I don't think I will be able to add the Naval Air Station Alameda to the front of the gatehouse and export it to MDX. That's a bummer.

Richard

Watch commander receiving Eight O'Clock Reports from Duty Section Supervisors. Does that jog any memories?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Main Gate with men.jpg  

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I just checked and do have the Aerosoft NCS installed. Cant remember how I did it, but had 3 NCS's docking at or near NAS Alameda on Coast Guard Island. Not sure where the heck the USCG docks in San Fran, been a long time since I was stationed there lol to remember. I always got Stuck at MUGM NAS or Traverse City CGAS or Corpus Christi CGAS, Mobile CGAS and somehow 1 time Las Vegas lol. I asked once for Hq in DC and got the Birdie Finger lol, guess I'm lucky.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I was station at Corpus back in the mid 70's. I remember over at the Army Depot (CCAD) seeing all those Hueys and parts also, having to stop for Coastie planes to cross the road going that was headed to the gate. Like a RR crossing, only for airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I just checked and do have the Aerosoft NCS installed. Cant remember how I did it, but had 3 NCS's docking at or near NAS Alameda on Coast Guard Island. Not sure where the heck the USCG docks in San Fran, been a long time since I was stationed there lol to remember. I always got Stuck at MUGM NAS or Traverse City CGAS or Corpus Christi CGAS, Mobile CGAS and somehow 1 time Las Vegas lol. I asked once for Hq in DC and got the Birdie Finger lol, guess I'm lucky.

Could never figure out why the eight O'Clock reports went down and either 19:30 or maybe even 20:30 At least on some of the Bat Barges I was on.
    Maybe some of those Watch Commanders were using some of those cheap Taiwan made wrist watches, you know, the ones you can hear ticking at night
    when in your rack.

Watch commander receiving Eight O'Clock Reports from Duty Section Supervisors. Does that jog any memories?

Crossing the taxiways

That reminded me when stationed at Norfolk, berthed at Pier 12 aboard America. I took my private pilot lessons at Norfolk (Commercial) Airport and borrowed my friend's Ford Fairlane to get back and forth. From the parking lot you had to drive on some of the taxiways of NAS Norfolk. Had traffic lights just like the streets. WOW! That was a long time ago 1968. I got to go back to commission the USS Abraham Lincoln. Went back as an LCDR (USNSCC) CO of the Nimitz Squadron, sponsored by the brand new CV of that name and got to stay in the Breezy Point BOQ. The first night I remember running across the hall to wake up my XO to tell him to turn on the TV The Berlin Wall was coming down.

The America returned home from her Desert Storm Deployment and berthed at Pier 11 (Lincoln was at Pier 12) and after everyone had left the ship, I got to go aboard for old time's sake I didn't know then that that was to say goodbye. In a way it was a little sad. She was only 3 years old when I went aboard in 1968 but now it was 20 years later and a lot of coats of paint. Kinda like an old gal who was a real knockout at 20 something but still trying to look 20 at 60. Too much makeup etc. It's fun to reminisce here when we trigger old memories isn't it?

Getting closer to releasing the next update to Alameda as I add some custom buildings. While waiting for simulloyd's Tower and buildings I've been working on my own. Learning curve on Sketchup is not fun but when it works it's kinda cool.

Richard

You must be using the trial version of Sketchup, the pro is $700 ouch!!!

That reminded me when stationed at Norfolk, berthed at Pier 12 aboard America. I took my private pilot lessons at Norfolk (Commercial) Airport and borrowed my friend's Ford Fairlane to get back and forth. From the parking lot you had to drive on some of the taxiways of NAS Norfolk. Had traffic lights just like the streets. WOW! That was a long time ago 1968. I got to go back to commission the USS Abraham Lincoln. Went back as an LCDR (USNSCC) CO of the Nimitz Squadron, sponsored by the brand new CV of that name and got to stay in the Breezy Point BOQ. The first night I remember running across the hall to wake up my XO to tell him to turn on the TV The Berlin Wall was coming down.

The America returned home from her Desert Storm Deployment and berthed at Pier 11 (Lincoln was at Pier 12) and after everyone had left the ship, I got to go aboard for old time's sake I didn't know then that that was to say goodbye. In a way it was a little sad. She was only 3 years old when I went aboard in 1968 but now it was 20 years later and a lot of coats of paint. Kinda like an old gal who was a real knockout at 20 something but still trying to look 20 at 60. Too much makeup etc. It's fun to reminisce here when we trigger old memories isn't it?

Getting closer to releasing the next update to Alameda as I add some custom buildings. While waiting for simulloyd's Tower and buildings I've been working on my own. Learning curve on Sketchup is not fun but when it works it's kinda cool.

Richard

You bet!

You must be using the trial version of Sketchup, the pro is $700 ouch!!!

When the trial is up I will be using the free version. I don't need the other stuff.

Finally underway

Caught the Connie actually underway heading for the Golden Gate Bridge. Should be calling GQ about now....that's what we did so that we could get a good muster report or, man over board drills.

Check out the sounds

That really looks great! Its great to see it finally working. It was a tough fight.

I think this is appropriate here especially after Gray Eagle's comment about GQ...check out these sounds. I started out looking for a .wav file for Anchors Aweigh to put in place of that obnoxious FSX music or silence when it starts up. Check out this fantastic link over at USS Hancock. The site is called: Jake's Yankee Station. A lot of REALLY cool stuff besides this. I know that Doug Dawson has an XML gauge to play sounds in FSX. Its here: http://douglassdawson.ca/

http://www.usshancockcv19.com/music.htm

/

The Complete East Gate at NAS Alameda

Here is the complete East Gate for our NAS Alameda. I had a closeup shot of a Marine at the Gatehouse and when I got two other shots one of which is below, I spent the afternoon remaking it as in the photo on Sketchup. I have exported it to a .dae I hope that it comes out with everything on Model Converter X so that I can add it looking this good to the air station in ADE.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_160502_201259.jpg   Navy Station Gate What.jpg  

Alameda Main Gate

That Main gate detail is starting to take shape and looks very promising. I'll have to tour the area with BOB when all extra details are added. Great job Richard

It Worked

That Main gate detail is starting to take shape and looks very promising. I'll have to tour the area with BOB when all extra details are added. Great job Richard
    Thank you. I placed it in V3.1 which I am beta testing on MY FSX every time I do an addition to it. It looks as good. I am going to go back to the Main Gate now that I know how to add text that compiles and put it on the front of the pass office. I will be tackling new custom buildings one by one

USS Hancock (CVA-19) Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) and Midway

USS Hancock (CVA-19) Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) and Midway (CVA-41) at NAS Alameda 1958

Richard,

Perhaps you've seen this one.

Main Gate Alameda

Main Gate Alameda

Now deserted.

Thank you

Now deserted.

This has been made and is in V3.1 at the Main Gate. I created the eagle by hand and put it on the building but it came out all black as did the words next to it. I am trying to find out why. I think that I know how to add the letters since I was able to put them over the East Gate successfully. I am going to attempt to put the carrier next to the pier again in Google Earth and create a new Route track. Even RTMM says that getting a Google Track to dock perfectly at the pier is a very frustrating trial/error project. I have been continually opening and consulting Google Earth as I create the custom buildings. As soon as we have the tower, I will place it and upload V3.1 for everyone to share. In the meantime besides the custom buildings I have gotten traffic signs/lights that I am going to try and put into the scenery again consulting intersections in GE. Thank you for these pics. Why don't you give the carriers a try if you want to. If you can create them as ai upload the files here.

Richard

The Eagle On The Wall

I created the Eagle on the Wall. IMHO I did a really good job of it (See the pic below) but no matter what I do, it is in Sketchup; converts in .dae; opens up in Model Converter X but when exported to an MDL it disappears. I have the type on the wall by using 3D letters but just can't get the Eagle even uploading the texture first in dds and then trying in an extended bmp. Does any Sketchup guru hear have any ideas? Its disappointing and frustrating.

I also spent the day studying Goggle Earth of the base and "laying asphalt". Bit by bit the base is really coming alive. I hope that when I finish it its going to be as close to a payware quality like FS Dreamteam or Fly Tampa. I am having a lot of fun doing it. I am going to tackle either the chapel or the EM club haven't decided which yet. I shot a ton of photos of both on Google Earth. Its curious that there are no traffic signs or traffic lights on the base (any more???) Has anyone who was stationed there know if there were and they were removed or did you just stop at the STOP white paint painted on the streets at the corners? Looking forward to simulloyd's Air Ops/Tower. I know he has a life not like us retired guys and has to find the sim time. LOL.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NAS Alameda Gate Shield.bmp  

Richard,

Gotta say that you sure have the ambition to make this project one that will be off the chain.

With all the progress reports and drawings, I am imbued with optimism that this will be one awesome military scenery.

Carry on in the finest Naval traditions.

Wow! I will say it again, wow! That has to be one of the all time coolest captures of Fab 50's USN Aviation-Marine stuff. Those angle deck Essex's and Midway (3 of my fave cv's) AND there is that Convair Tradewind R3Y just hangin' out in the background! Is that also a Mariner? So, you have carriers, a full NAS and seaplane ramps for flying boats. What a setup!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

One Cool Pic

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Wow! I will say it again, wow! That has to be one of the all time coolest captures of Fab 50's USN Aviation-Marine stuff. Those angle deck Essex's and Midway (3 of my fave cv's) AND there is that Convair Tradewind R3Y just hangin' out in the background! Is that also a Mariner? So, you have carriers, a full NAS and seaplane ramps for flying boats. What a setup!
    Worked all day yesterday laying roads. Figured out today how to add a grass texture to the poly textures in ADE and it WORKS!!! WooHoo! Built a model for the Officer Housing this afternoon. Good day's work. 5 O'clock whistle at the shipyard. It's fun when it works out. Do you have static or ai models of these carriers? I just noticed that neither 7 /25 or 13/31 runways have been built here yet and the base is really empty of a lot of the buildings too.

No Traffic Signs

I downloaded a uTube video about 3 minutes long today of a guy driving around the Enlisted Housing Area on the base recently looking for photos. Its sad to see the shape its in but it WAS interesting to note as he drove down the streets that there ARE STOP signs and street signs at the corners in that area. On Google Earth the painted STOP and crossing lines are at all the corners but can't see signs but this makes me believe that there WERE signs at all the corners not having heard from anyone here who served there when the base was active before 1993. I have a ton of stuff to do yet and can literally add them last so no biggie.

R

Nice Picture

Worked all day yesterday laying roads. Figured out today how to add a grass texture to the poly textures in ADE and it WORKS!!! WooHoo! Built a model for the Officer Housing this afternoon. Good day's work. 5 O'clock whistle at the shipyard. It's fun when it works out. Do you have static or ai models of these carriers? I just noticed that neither 7 /25 or 13/31 runways have been built here yet and the base is really empty of a lot of the buildings too.
    Looking closely at the picture it looks like a FRAM 1 Fletcher class DD and a Seaplane tender behind the carriers. I had Revell models of both of them wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when. LOL.

Here is a close up view of work I have done with the control tower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower With Glass texture..jpg   Updated Tower Cluster.JPG  

A couple of updates made just today-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tower Door and Ladder.jpg   Update Capture_Tower with Windows2.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 4