GMax making larger than normal files.

Thread: GMax making larger than normal files.

GMax making larger than normal files.

Hi All
    I have just noticed that the kb size of some of my GMax ship models have increased dramatically.
    eg
    New Mexico 1941, 6,573 kb, 23,892 polys
    New Mexico 1945, 72,356 kb, 23,868 polys (less polys, more kb????)
    It is basically the same ship.

Normally my battleships are around 4,000-7,000kb range.

Any ideas
    Cheers
    Stuart

Added any materials and mapping lately? That can really crank up the file size. As long as they still export properly it's not a worry.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks Hairyspin

Hi Tom
    Thanks for yor reply.
    I have been 'merging' objects and this may be the cause.
    I have also been 're-doing' maps as I go along.
    These may have caused the increase in the size of the files.
    I have attached an image showing part of my material editor.

I can export the models, so I guess there is no major problem.
    Again, thanks for all your help.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS2 Materials and Maps.jpg  

I notice you have some duplicate materials (as far as the screenshot can be read) which are a regular pest with merges. I use the Material Manager to identify which objects are using a duplicated material, then select 'em all with a Select by Material script and assign the original material instead. These duplicate materials would account for the increased file size.

Once the duplicated materials have been dealt with, make a new blank scene and merge the whole model to it. Only materials actually used will come over to the new scene.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Where is the Material Manager

Hi Tom
    Thanks again.
    I do not know where the Material Manager is?
    I have "Material Editor" and "Material Navigator"
    Cheers
    Stuart

My bad. Material Navigator...
    Tom

Still in the Dark

Hi Tom
    I have placed the Select_By_Material.MS file in my C:\gmax\gamepacks\FS2004\scripts folder.

I have seen the the file in MAXScript at the top.
    But I have no idea on how to use it??

How to use:
    -- 1. Select 1 parts which will has the materials to be selected
    -- 2. Run this script

Again I am not sure of what to do??

Cheers
    Stuart

Just that, Stuart. Select an object with the duplicated material and run the script: if there are five objects using that material then all five will be selected by the script and can have the original material applied instead.

I have the script assigned to a hotkey and it's quite impressive to see it select thirty-odd objects at a time.

edit:
    checking this again it really needs to be assigned to a hotkey
    Last edited by hairyspin; March 25th, 2016 at 14:12. Reason: checked script operation
    Tom

This one doesn't seem to work for me either. But luckily I have MeshTools installed which already has a Select by Material command, and that works fine.

Just saying hello

Hi Tom
    I am still stuck with this one.
    My CFS2 computer has been (and still is) out of action for a couple of weeks so I have not had much of a chance to look at this.
    I may need a walk-through when it comes back.
    I am using a window 7 laptop at the moment.
    I will try to have a glance at it tomorrow.
    Cheers and thanks
    Stuart

I noticed the same thing happen when importing parts. When looking at the mat navigator I noticed a bunch of duplicate materials, so I deleted every one of them with empty brackets at the end as no parts were assigned to them. I also rebuilt all the multimaterials as some of them gained additional maps during the part imports.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Still Struggling

Hi All
    I now have Windows 10, my XP rig's motherboard gave up the ghost.
    I am still stuck with this one. And my computer skills are limited.
    As before:
    I have placed the Select_By_Material.MS file in my C:Program Files (x86)\gmax\gamepacks\FS2004\scripts folder.

I have seen the file in MAXScript at the top.
    But I still have no idea on how to use it??
    The instructions are:
    'How to use:
    -- 1. Select 1 parts which will has the materials to be selected
    -- 2. Run this script'

Nothing seems to happen?
    Hairyspin says a Hotkey needs to be assigned.
    I do not know how to assign Hotkeys within an application.

tgibson
    I have looked up meshtools and downloaded 'bamse_MTPalette'.
    There are two files;
    bamse_MTPalette_E and bamse_MTPalette_J
    But I am not sure where to put them.

MaddogK
    I have lots of empty brackets, but I do not know how to delete them.

I have attached a GMax file for the USS Alaska as well as the texture map.
    It has lots of materials and at least 3 maps.
    I do use a lot of cut and paste (merge) of 'parts' from other models.

Again, any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Attached Files Attached Files

I put the Select_By_Material.MS into C:\gmax\scripts\Startup. This lets the script run if I start FS2002 or FS2004 gamepack.

Next I went to Customize than Customize User Interface. In the Customize User Interface window find Select By Material. Click on it than click on the Hotkey: box. put in some key. I used Shift+S and click Assign.

However this dosen't seem to do what I think it should. It only slecting a few obejcts and leaves a ton of duplicated material with the same name and .bmps unselected.

Dealing with materials that are not used is simple. Find the material that has no object in side of the brackets. Double click on it to open the Material Editor window than hit Delete.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

It's even easier than that. Create a new workspace, then use File/Merge and select the entire plane (Select All button). All the unused materials will be gone. Save the file with a new incremental name.

Thanks to All

Hi Guys
    Bingo!
    tgibsonCreate a new workspace, then use File/Merge and select the entire plane (Select All button). All the unused materials will be gone. Save the file with a new incremental name.

That Worked a treat! Lost a few kb's and I think it may improve the appearance of the ship. I noticed it to be a bit blurry in CFS2. (I will follow up on this tomorrow)

Allen
    In the Customize User Interface window find Select By Material. Click on it than click on the Hotkey: box. put in some key. I used Shift+S and click Assign.

That is learning new things.

(I did not actually use it as tgibson's solution did what I was trying to do.)

Hairyspin
    Like, Allen, a fountain of knowledge.

Cheers
    Stuart

Members who have read this thread: 0