The SAAB Viggen released! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The SAAB Viggen released!

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    DaveQ you nailed the textures! Really nice job team Viggen!
    I only did the metal work and some others. JensOLe did the hard work, on the paint kit and splinter camo. But many thanks Rick - it's what makes this sort of thing so rewarding

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I only did the metal work and some others. JensOLe did the hard work, on the paint kit and splinter camo. But many thanks Rick - it's what makes this sort of thing so rewarding

DaveQ
    Great job JensOle!!! You nailed the paint kit!!!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thanks! It was a jolly fun project to do together with henk and dave :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Another here who appreciates the hard work put into this project.

Matt

Well, I just did my first flight in this update and WOW, what an amazing job you guys did! This has always been one of my all time favorite aircraft and the update you guys did makes it the same in the sim for me.

Now some statements and questions. First, the sound didn't work for me (In the JA-37), so I aliased it to the Aerosoft F-16, and those sounds work great with this bird. Second, will there be a paint kit? I would like to see it painted in the colors of some of the air forces they tried to sell it to, but didn't end up buying it, like Switzerland and India. I keep thinking of how cool it would look in some of those wacked out color schemes the Indians put on their MiG-27's. Third, does anybody know of a good tip vortex effect that shows strong rotation? I would like to add it to the canard for the high alpha regime.

Great work guys. BTW, I really like the moving map display as well. It came in handy when I was flying in a low cloud deck.

Also. Mods, shouldn't this get a sticky at the top since it was just released?

@ Sundog: Thanks for the kind words. We did not include a soundset, the sound.cfg file is aliased to the stock FSX Learjet. Having watched a couple of videos I find the Viggen engine sounds very much like the Harrier so I am using a Rolls Royce Pegasus soundset which was done by MSS for UKMIL iirc.

EDIT: By mistake, my test version of the sound.cfg file ended up in the release, the fix is easy though, you can edit the sound.cfg file with notepad:

Wrong release version:
    [fltsim]
    alias=.\Sound\RR_Pegasus
    ;alias=d:\fsx\simobjects\airplanes\Lear45\sound

Correction:
    [fltsim]
    alias=.\SimObjects\airplanes\Lear45\sound

or alias it to any soundset you like.
    Last edited by hschuit; May 24th, 2016 at 01:42.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful repaints indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Done, and I also altered the title to make people aware that it is actually released.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks a lot Huub!

Or maybe just Call it SAAB viggen released... I used thunderbolt as a word play on the translation of Viggen.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Well, I just did my first flight in this update and WOW, what an amazing job you guys did! This has always been one of my all time favorite aircraft and the update you guys did makes it the same in the sim for me.

Now some statements and questions. First, the sound didn't work for me (In the JA-37), so I aliased it to the Aerosoft F-16, and those sounds work great with this bird. Second, will there be a paint kit? I would like to see it painted in the colors of some of the air forces they tried to sell it to, but didn't end up buying it, like Switzerland and India. I keep thinking of how cool it would look in some of those wacked out color schemes the Indians put on their MiG-27's. Third, does anybody know of a good tip vortex effect that shows strong rotation? I would like to add it to the canard for the high alpha regime.

Great work guys. BTW, I really like the moving map display as well. It came in handy when I was flying in a low cloud deck.

The paintkit is not made available as it is very big... The texture mapping is made in a way that the model is covered with many smaller textures and when they went up to 2048x the size of the paintfiles become very big... And I must confess they are a bit of a mess... I'll see what we can do.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    The paintkit is not made available as it is very big... The texture mapping is made in a way that the model is covered with many smaller textures and when they went up to 2048x the size of the paintfiles become very big... And I must confess they are a bit of a mess... I'll see what we can do.
    I would be satisfied with just PSD layers of the panel lines. Would that be possible?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Must be missing something here, once again....million dólar question...where to find this bird?

best regards and thanks

There's a link earlier in the thread it's at Avsim, although i couldn't access in a moment ago!

in the meantime there's always this !!! https://youtu.be/pLPrnc8GNPU

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot how he textured his models. They're very much a patch work of files.

I think this package is available at Simviation as well. Mike

Thanks guys!

The Viggen was one of the candidates to replace the F104 in the seventies, but the F16 was chosen instead. With all international mission I assume the choice for the Viggen would have caused a logistic disaster. But I really considered it a missed chance for the Royal Netherlands Air Force that they didn't choose to fly this Swedish beauty queen!

And Flyboy is correct, the model is available at Avsim and simviation.

Cheers,
    Huub

Good to see the Viggen getting virtual flight time!

The same here in Norway, it was a contender for the F-5/F-104 replacement program together with the Mirage F1. The JA37 would have brought a more advanced interceptor capability with both radar link and BVR capability at a much earlier time frame compared to the F-16. The Jakt Viggen was pretty bad ass as an interceptor with both the radar and weapon capability it had from the late 1980's. The F-16 turned out to be an perfect fighter for the European partner nations, but it used almost 20 years to mature as a true BVR fighter. Of course the type of operations we have taken part in with the Americans have also played a part of showing how important it has been to fly a similar platform. Have said that there are some major differences between the early European F-16A and the later blocks of the C/D models which the USAF have been flying. Weapons wise the Viggen already was using US weapons, so that would not be a problem.
    I'm also quite sure the short take off and landing capabilities of the Viggen would have been very welcome in Norwegian service during the cold war.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

WIP

Been tweaking around....Added 3 additional fresnels, very rudamentary bumps and enabled diffuse alpha.

You can see the difference in lighting...whether realistic or not for this paint I'm having a lot of fun!!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Looks beautiful Rick!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Very beautiful! Nicely done all around. I guess I'll have to buy a few more TB- I'm maxing out my memory on all the new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    I think this package is available at Simviation as well. Mike
    Got it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ijay View Post
    in the meantime there's always this !!! https://youtu.be/pLPrnc8GNPU
    Wow! Seems to me they've got a bold and effective defence system!

Ah, and look at some footage here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPteuBsRGg
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Please TACPACK version
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 1