Changing anti-virus programs

Thread: Changing anti-virus programs

Changing anti-virus programs

I'm seriously considering dumping my current McAfee Anti-Virus program for another.

I've been running McAfee since the first year was free after getting my current computer, and that's been over three years now. I took the offer after experiencing a virus problem with the new computer, and its pretty much done its job - I think. There have been some issues with it detecting problems with FSX addons, and I thought I had figured out how to "exclude" specific files from being quarantined, but I'm getting really tired of fighting the program interface. And they provide little to no instructions on some of the features I feel are important.

I know there are many recommendations on other programs in various SOH threads. My question or inquiry is on what's involved from switching from one anti-virus program to another. For example, I would have to uninstall my McAfee program before installing a replacement so what is the risk during that transition? Are there any recommendations on replacement programs that reduce the risk of replacing one such program with another?

Thought it best to tap into the vast experience here at SOH to see what experiences everyone else has encountered.

Thanks in advance.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

There is no risk involved in switching your AV if you un-install McAfee and then immediately install the new AV. I can highly recommend Avira, it is free and does not hurt performance much. I am using it for almost 2 years now, PC never got infected and I do not have issues with FSX/P3D add on installers. Occasionally I also run a Malwarebytes scan.

I can recommend Avast, have used it for 10+ years.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Just use Microsoft's anti-virus. It works fine. Anything it doesn't pick up will likely be attributed to ignoring basic security, such as opening files from unknown sources, etc. Supplement it with a program like Spybot and you'll be good, and there will be no cost. I've used this setup for years and I've never contracted a virus.

Edit: everyone always has an opinion, as you can see. I still recommend using Microsoft's anti-virus. Unlike all of the other ones you'll hear recommended, the layout hasn't changed in about ten years, is completely free, works just fine, and takes up almost no resources. Some will claim it will miss certain viruses, but I've seen it catch things others won't (tit for tat). Frankly put: It. Just. Works.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyValkyrie View Post
    Just use Microsoft's anti-virus. It works fine. Anything it doesn't pick up will likely be attributed to ignoring basic security, such as opening files from unknown sources, etc. Supplement it with a program like Spybot and you'll be good, and there will be no cost. I've used this setup for years and I've never contracted a virus.

Edit: everyone always has an opinion, as you can see. I still recommend using Microsoft's anti-virus. Unlike all of the other ones you'll hear recommended, the layout hasn't changed in about ten years, is completely free, works just fine, and takes up almost no resources. Some will claim it will miss certain viruses, but I've seen it catch things others won't (tit for tat). Frankly put: It. Just. Works.
    This.

Basically, you don't have to bother with AV's since windows 8.

And, if you're on windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tials-download

To clarify I have only been using the free version of Avast.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

For well over 15 years I forked out for various payware AV systems, assuming (incorrectly) they must be superior to the freeware alternatives.

Of all the payware AV systems I've used, I'd have to say that I believe NOD32 to be among the very best of the best; being both highly user configerable, and having a very small footprint.

However, I must concur with Cody now..... In my opinion, the MS free AV software does exactly what it says on tin!

What do you have to loose by giving it a try;-)
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Blog Entries
    Never had virus in 20 years of computing but lately I have been using Avira and Avast(however a bit hogish on ram). I have also use Microsoft's package on my tablet and found it to be just fine especially Windows 8 and above.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks for the input. I'll check out these recommendations.

Here is the issue at hand. McAfee has detected a virus or Trojan with one of the files installed with the new Milviz F-100D. I'm still waiting to get on their support forum to report this, but in the meantime I'm trying to find a solution.

The file is for the night lighting, Milviz_lighting_service.exe. Everything else with the install is great, but whenever I attempt to use the lighting in the aircraft McAfee detects a threat and quarantines the file. When that happens it also resets the homepage on my Internet Explorer 11. I'm running Win8.1, BTW.

The threat is PWS-FCEQ!8E180091062C. I can't find a reference to that anywhere. The generic PWS is a Trojan associated with the browser according to one source, but that makes no sense with an FSX addon. I've never had a problem with any of my other Milviz products.

So far I've only been successful in avoiding this issue by turning off the Real-Time Scanning before I run FSX.

So, if I can't find out more about why McAfee finds this threat or if Milviz has some additional info, I'm ready to trash McAfee despite just renewing my subscription.
    -- WH

Hmm..

Milviz guarantee their products are virus-free and recommend AV is turned off for downloading. I turn it off during install too. I use MSE/Defender and nothing has been flagged. I also have SpyHunter installed and nothing seen by that either. Fingers crossed it's your AV being over-protective.
    ATB
    DaveB

[QUOTE=DaveB;1007169]Hmm..

Milviz guarantee their products are virus-free and recommend AV is turned off for downloading. I turn it off during install too. I use MSE/Defender and nothing has been flagged. I also have SpyHunter installed and nothing seen by that either. Fingers crossed it's your AV being over-protective.

I use AVG (old habits). It generally alerts when I install a Milviz product. So I turn if off, do the install, and fire it back up. Never a virus yet- although my wife might argue that Milviz products are almost completely viruses as every time I install one it causes me to disappear into my office for hours and miss various family functions
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

I use Norton, have for 12 years, never ever let me down in some occasionally gnarly situations. I must be some sort of sucker...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I find that Norton is too controlling, while McAfee has too many holes.
    Personally, I use Kaspersky.

You should just pick one and stick with it. You'll find as many opinions as there are people reading this.
    You might also want to try adwcleaner.

Dave

Okay. Here's a brief update.

I did a complete reinstall this morning. Virus protection was turned off on downloading a new installer, and performing a full install and reinstall "as an administrator."

I did my first flight after the reinstall without activating any lights, and McAfee quarantined the program despite having it "excluded" from any scans. With my second flight I basically turned off the real-time scanning feature, and the file remained intact. So at least I have a workaround.

The good news is that I'm learning more about McAfee. The bad news is that I'm learning more about McAfee. I still have 366 days on my paid subscription, so I'll hang on a while longer and see what comes from the folks at Milviz. That may give me more time to research going to another anti-virus program. I just hate it when paid programs do not do as expected.
    -- WH

Odd that McAfee won't let you run the file as an exception. Notice you're running Win8.1. I wonder if this is one of the reasons MV say the F100D isn't supported on that OS? Shame you have so long to run on the AV. My Win8.1 laptop came with McAfee installed as a trial and I upgraded to Win10 around a week later. McAfee DID come in useful. Despite me saying I didn't want Edge during the install.. the routine went ahead and installed it anyway! A couple of days later, I got a window come up saying that McAfee didn't support Edge so the OS put IE back

I digress. One thing that would/will happen almost immediately you uninstall McAfee (when the time comes) is that the OS will know you don't have an active AV and will automatically load Defender so don't worry you're left un-protected
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Odd that McAfee won't let you run the file as an exception. Notice you're running Win8.1. I wonder if this is one of the reasons MV say the F100D isn't supported on that OS?
    Apparently, I'm dealing with two levels of detection.

When first installed, McAfee detected the file and quarantined it. Once I discovered that, I had to first determine where the file was located - then I resorted it and made it an exception. So that stopped it during normal operations.

Despite listing the file as an exception, McAfee will quarantine it as soon as I load the F-100D. That must be the second level of detection. Supposedly, McAfee should give me a warning before it does, but it doesn't warn me at any time. I have to go to the quarantine list and manually restore it.

The only way to avoid all this is to turn off the real-time scanning feature before loading FSX and flying the Sabre. Trying to understand my options with McAfee is like pushing a rope. No live support and their FAQ pages tell me nothing I haven't already tried.
    -- WH

SOH-CM-2023
    I've been using paid AVG for years now, the advantage of paid version is that if you do pick up a virus you get support from AVG to clear it hopefully. I have it on wife's W7 laptop & my W10 laptop. Tower using w8.1 uses Sophos provided by my son.......I think its a professional anti-virus. No problems so far (touching wood!) with any of them.
    Hope that helps your decision.
    Keith

For independent comparative tests of AV programs, take a look at the well-respected AV Comparatives website - http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/.

More specifically, for real-world tests look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co...t_2015b_en.pdf and for performance tests, look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co..._201510_en.pdf.

I use Bitdefender Internet Security and highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    I use Norton, have for 12 years, never ever let me down in some occasionally gnarly situations. I must be some sort of sucker...
    I guess there HAD TO BE someone who survived 12 years of Norton without issue.
    I was one of the others that earned Norton the reputation it deserved.
    Apart from being one of the best at false-positives [proving ineptitude on their part] the classic was when 2002 disabled the Windows BITS service requiring either 4 pages of registry hacks...or a reinstall of XP SP3 .....remembering you couldn't simply update from the net....cos the BITS service was utterly borked.

If you didn't have a hard copy of SP3 you were pretty much stuffed....

Re AVs.... you actually get what you pay for. Anything free is worth the price....totally.

Anyone suggesting a later OS is idiot proof when it comes to invulnerability.....you just haven't met the bigger idiots out there yet....

If you really wish to be protected better than 'out of the box' defaults.... Kaspersky.

Edit...re Bitdefender.... I too swore by it...but it was too slow at the time to release a Win 7 compatible [when the OS was released] that I gave up 10 months of sub to move to Kaspersky.

I've been on Kaspersky since 2013 and haven't looked back. I've had no viruses, the Av has blocked all attack pages/malicious code that's tried to get in, the scans are very fast and efficient, lastly, it doesn't cause any drag on my system. As long as they keep their product at this level, I will gladly continue paying for the protection.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CodyValkyrie View Post

Seconded! I've been using MS Essentials for years now and never been infected. It's caught a few in the years. Also I use Malwarebytes when I can remember.

Malwarebytes does a scheduled scan every seven days - more often if you want. Milviz downloads always have a false positive security glitch. They warn about it on their download page and advise disabling security while downloading.

The real test it seems is to identify one or more good AV programs, payware or freeware, that work well with some of the newer addons with unique coding like the Milviz F-100D. A good support system is a must as well.

Although I've worked with McAfee at work (before retirement) and at home, it is overly aggressive and lacks an intuitive interface. I did a chat session with their support recently and they told me nothing new. I also corresponded with their test lab and they obviously ignored the message in my e-mail.

As I started this thread, I'm still researching a replacement. The comparisons by vortex were interesting and so is everyone's input. Much appreciated. I'm taking my time on this as I've already renewed my subscription with McAfee and hate to throw away good money, but then again if it continues to detract from my enjoyment of the hobby... out it goes.

Maybe I should be asking what AV programs are used by all the Milviz beta testers. That should be interesting.

Cheers

-- WH

Members who have read this thread: 0