stock runways

Thread: stock runways

stock runways

Just recently I've become dissatisfied with the stock runways - the texture I can fix myself -- but has anyone made them narrower - I mean if you're coming in to a dirt strip in the mountains of IndoChina or a jungle strip somewhere it's unlikely to be as wide as a one unit airstrip as provided by the game - so what I'm looking for is something that gives me a runway that's just a bit wider than a C47 wingspan -- I guess it would be a replacement for 'allrunways.bgl' in SceneDB/Scenery.

Some help with this would be much appreciated

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

Stock runways? You mean the ones that can be placed in MB?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Hi Baldy,

Like Allen, I get the impression that your are talking about the runways that one places in MB?

You might just be reaching that point where you want to consider making very simple airfields using FSSC.

Using MB as rough guide you can get your heading, position and altitude info- which is all that is required to set up an FSSC airstrip.

Setting the width and length of the runway to whatever you like.

You can then, if you wish, go into the sca file created by FSSC and change the surface of the runway to whatever you like- such as stock coral, dirt or matting.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

runways

Yes I do mean the MB runways -- I've got FSSC and I'm struggling - I generate a runway but where do I save it to ? what do I do then ? my one brain cell is suffering and going into meltdown ---- help !

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    Yes I do mean the MB runways -- I've got FSSC and I'm struggling - I generate a runway but where do I save it to ? what do I do then ? my one brain cell is suffering and going into meltdown ---- help !

baldy
    Here is a link to a little tutorial written years ago by a really good guy named John W. "m4ilm4n" Applegate.

It is called:

How to Add A Base to CFS2

Its about three pages long and easy to follow.

John wrote this little ditty way back in 2001 and posted to his Geocities web page- and it's still there!

I used John's tutorial to build my very first bases with FSSC and still pretty much follow the basics laid out by John way back then.

He used, and I still use BTW, an earlier version of FSSC and can provide you with a copy of that version if you would like.

Cheers,
    Chris

PS: Best quote from John's tutorial-
    It is important to understand that building scenery is an iterative process; if you plan on getting everything right the first time you’re either way too analytical or in for a rude awakening. It usually takes me at least three or four builds to get the general idea, then I start the tweaking process. To quote from the film “High Road to China”: “the oxen are slow but the earth is patient”. Good scenery comes from patient, methodical work.

"A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Thanks MR that's my bedtime reading taken care of

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

How about some thing like this?

Attachment 34891Attachment 34892

Runway is 4347 feet by 120 feet before alpha was added to blend into the dirt. Can be placed as an object or I made a API that FSSC should be able to place any where and it will be loaded as bgl visable in Free Flight. I took the Screens in Free Flight after I placed it as bgl with GroundMaker using the API I made. Runway and dirt texture can be changed.

Runways

Hi Allen

yes that's more or less it - what I'm trying for is just the airstrip with minimal surroundings showing against the game landscape that I can put anywhere - like adding another runway type to the MB list

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Attached!

Attachment 34898

If you want to make a permanent runway let me know. I can help with the API or let me know the Long, Lat, Alt and Heading of the runway and I can make a permanent and Free Flight/QC runway.

Also....

Attachment 34899

runway

Thanks for this - I'll install it later - my problem is I'm not yet understanding the workings of FSSC

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Well I attached the version that can be placed as an object in MB. I don't have FSSC as I use GroundMaker but I'm sure others can help with FSSC. Otherwise let me know and I can do a few permanent runway in GroundMaker for you.

This how it appears - I put all the files in the right places -

does it need that large apron all round ?

baldy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails runway.jpg  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Lightbulb

My bad. Here is the right dirt_sq_4347x120.bgl

Attachment 34918

runway

Thanks Allan I think this is going to work fine - I'm just going to have to alter the textures a bit

Thanks again

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

Runway

Thanks Allen ( my apologies for spelling it wrong previously ) -- this works fine and by altering the alpha channel and the colours in the bmps I can sort any kind of small airstrip I want - just what I wanted

thanks again

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

I built the runway in gMax so I can change it as needed. You said you where using the stock runways so I used it length. Textures are stock textues just copy and pasted to make the larger.

Members who have read this thread: 0