Back in the virtual air again.

Thread: Back in the virtual air again.

Back in the virtual air again.

I have a new PC!

Windows 10; Quad core intel processor, 16gb Ram and Ati R7 graphics card 2gb graphics ram,
    Ssd boot drive and a 1tb hard drive.

Got fs9 running well with a few hiccups along the way, but Fsx won't run, think I know what problem
    is (DirectX 12) just have to figure it out.

Watch this space.

Ttfn

Pete

Congrats on the new rig!

I will watch this space closely, since I may need a new confuter very soon, so I'm very interested in learning how FS9 works in W10.

What sort of hiccups have you had on the way?

I recall reading long ago that FS9 and ATI video cards don't get along very nicely. Could that have caused those hiccups rather than W10?

I don't really want to go to a new OS anyway, and hope to rebuild this rig and stay with W7pro, but I may have no choice.

Fs9 in windows 10

Mick,

I took the plunge in late Dec 15 and upgraded from WIN7 pro 64bit to WIN1 pro 64 bit. The only change I see in FS9 is that you can no longer get a pre-view pic when you select your a/c. I can live with that, but nice if some friendly geek knew how to rectify it.

I last upgraded my rig around 2012 and it is not cutting edge now, but with a good NVIDIA graphics card, O/S and FS9 on separate Solid State Discs (SSDs), it gives me a smooth 60 fps with the FS9 sliders at max, with Flight Environment and Ground Environment plus complex add-on airports and live weather.

Of course, I conducted the upgrade to WIN 10 AFTER backing up the O/S disc and the FS9 disc to an external hard drive - just in case . . .

Overall, I find WIN10 slicker at large file handling, and giving slightly crisper graphics. It has also been rock steady. Nice to have such a pleasant upgrade from Mr Microsoft and FREE to!

Rgds

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    Mick,

I took the plunge in late Dec 15 and upgraded from WIN7 pro 64bit to WIN1 pro 64 bit. The only change I see in FS9 is that you can no longer get a pre-view pic when you select your a/c. I can live with that, but nice if some friendly geek knew how to rectify it.

I last upgraded my rig around 2012 and it is not cutting edge now, but with a good NVIDIA graphics card, O/S and FS9 on separate Solid State Discs (SSDs), it gives me a smooth 60 fps with the FS9 sliders at max, with Flight Environment and Ground Environment plus complex add-on airports and live weather.

Of course, I conducted the upgrade to WIN 10 AFTER backing up the O/S disc and the FS9 disc to an external hard drive - just in case . . .

Overall, I find WIN10 slicker at large file handling, and giving slightly crisper graphics. It has also been rock steady. Nice to have such a pleasant upgrade from Mr Microsoft and FREE to!

Rgds

Mal
    I had that problem with WIN 8 I found that if I press ALT and ENTER when I am in the aircraft selection screen I get a pre-view pic you can leave that way but you will have the top and bottom task bars visible in the flight simulator I can live with them better than not seeing the a pre-view pic. However you can press the ALT and ENTER keys again and the top and bottom task bars will go away

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Congrats on the new rig!

I will watch this space closely, since I may need a new confuter very soon, so I'm very interested in learning how FS9 works in W10.

What sort of hiccups have you had on the way?

I recall reading long ago that FS9 and ATI video cards don't get along very nicely. Could that have caused those hiccups rather than W10?

I don't really want to go to a new OS anyway, and hope to rebuild this rig and stay with W7pro, but I may have no choice.
    So far it's looking very good. I have fs on an external usb hard drive, with my old rig there were a few limitations caused by the usb bus and its speed of transmission, which often meant an unplanned hiatus in flight as the drive was responding to data requests. I had a few problems with add-ons not being registered correctly that needed keys from old rig, which had gone kaput, for instance, so had to do a reinstall to a new folder on my external hd then cut/paste existing installation to that folder.

Also had the problem of no preview screen, but sorted that by using the alt - enter keys, and had to install DirectX 9; ( found out from Win 10 user forums DirectX12 is not fully backward compatible unlike previous versions). Also installed the .net framework files used by some gauge progammers.

Ati cards no problems, the 3d settings interface takes a bit of getting used to , I swapped from nVidia to Ati in old rig, liked it and decided to keep Ati with this one.

In general Win10 now looks more like Mrs' Pete's pad thingy than desktop PC, programs are now called 'apps'

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    So far it's looking very good...
    Thank you! I still hope to rebuild and upgrade my present rig, or at least get a new one built with Win7pro closed from the current one, but I will keep your comments for reference in the event I need to start from scratch with a Win10 system.

Thanks for your remarks.

Members who have read this thread: 0