MDLC and DOSbox. Testers needed!

Thread: MDLC and DOSbox. Testers needed!

I've been trying to get MDLC working on Win7 and newer PC and a free program called DOSbox seem to be the best option available. After 2 days I think I have things working but need testers.

I don't need much just some willing people with Win7 or newer willing to install DOSbox and follow the Install and Tutorial to see if they can convert aircraft from FS004 and/or FS2002. I'm attaching what I call DOSmdlc. Try to follow Install and Tutorialin side the DOSmdlc and let me know how it worked for you!

Attachment 34634

Also how the do I have 3,600 post. Seems like a lot.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Hi Allen,

Thank you for attempting this, it is an excellent idea.

I'm running WIN 7 Home Premium & will try to install & feedback over the course of the next week or so. I'm travelling during the week, so most of my time is called for, but I'll make sure I free some time up on the weekends.

John

I know every one hears DOS and Command line and they run for the hills but it isn't hard.

I got it Allen, But no promisses
    Although I have a few Win 7's, I will hang on to my XP
    until they pry my dead fingers off of it.

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    I got it Allen, But no promisses
    Although I have a few Win 7's, I will hang on to my XP
    until they pry my dead fingers off of it.

Dave
    Me too but we that still have XP are few and getting fewer every month. We CFS2-er need away to keep MDLC working. DOSbox seem to be the best we have right now.

Also no word from BloodHawk?

Allen,

Nice one, on working on this, Allen. I was off PC all weekend, and just got back on late today. Have DL'd your DOSmdlc fix and I'll try to run it through and let you know.

AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"

You need to DL DOSBox as well.

awesome job!

Hi Allen,

Testing is going well so far.

My OS WIN 7 Home Premium

Switching windows & typing commands takes a bit of getting used to (a the good old days!), but your Tutorial notes really help. I suggest you include them in pdf format too, it's the first thing I did with them.

The other change people will notice, & I know you stress this in your notes, is that the conversions do take some time - in many cases it seems to take longer than it did for mk_MDLC working under XP to do the same aircraft. I'm sure this is just an illusion though.

Glad it worked!

I don't have a program to make PDF. Unless Microsoft Office 2007 can. That is why I made .htm

I never did a time test to see if Win XP was faster. Win XP may be faster as DOSbox aims to be old school so it lacks some thing that we have in XP DOS like copy and paste and scrolling. Makes since that its speed my be capped as well so that it stays true to old DOS.

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Allen, Google Primo PDF it's a converter, free no less, I've used it for years.
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Well I don't like to google and download any thing in this day and age. Too many things have the DTD (Download Transmitted Disease). The place you went to would be best but I found out that Google Chrome can make PDF from the .htm files.

If any one would like the PDFs let me know. Also any input from those that have used this would be helpfull.

Library Staff
    Hi Allen,

Thanks very much for the DOSbox/MDLC package. You've done a great job with the installation instructions and tutorial.

I've installed it and it appears to work fine. I only need to find some FS2002/2004 aircraft which can be converted successfully.

I tried Microsoft's Vickers Vimy, Stuart Green's Staaken and Icarus Gold's Tupolev TB3 without luck.

I'm sure there are some out there.

Kevin

Why didn't they work? Will try to help you with things. Remember if you see /f = convert to Flight Simlator 2002 (MD8) file disable! That means the model is already an FS2002.

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Utilities Add-ons

Description: I made this to be be used with DOSbox so MDLC can be made to work on Win7 and newer systems. I used Mk_Mdl_Ver 2.0+.zip as a base as it is the most up to date version for converting aircraft and should have all of the fixes. I removed the Mk_Mdlc.exe as it can't work with DOSbox other than that it is the same.

I added 2 needed files. DPMI16BI.OVL is new and RTM.EXE seem to be made by XP when I ran MDLC.exe but I had to add it as Win7 failed to make it. I claim no ownership of MDLC or MK MDLC. I only wish to make MDLC work with DOSbox.

The Install and Tutorial will walk you through installing DOSbox and conveting FS2002/FS2004 aircraft to CFS2. While this is meant to help you convert aircraft to CFS2 all other functions of MDLC will work. Useful for those than need to use /a to SCASM edit a model or use /b to convert a model to BGL so it can be imported into Model Converter X.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit MDLC for DOSbox.zip

Members who have read this thread: 0