Sakishima-Gunto is now released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sakishima-Gunto is now released!

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Thank you Rami.

I know that you have empathy and appreciation for what at times can become the vvery tedious work that goes into a project like this.

Also, I think I owe you a thank-you for combining the two threads? Definitely better.

Cheers,
    Chris
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Library Staff
    This is fabulous MR - thanks very much. I also think option 3 is the way to go - let the users decide what they want in the way of shipping.

I'll get back to you with a list of Rhumbaflappy early water files to delete (for those people who have those installed in lieu of his later water masking).

Kevin

Question

"...I'll get back to you with a list of Rhumbaflappy early water files to delete...".

Thanks Kevin. Call me clueless, but, I am not sure what you are referring to. Hehe.

As far as I know, which isn't really all that far, it shouldn't matter much what is or isn't there since the first thing I do is to create an LWM Watermask to get rid of it anyway.

As far as I am aware, the only thing that might be an issue is if there are any shore lines, river lines or road lines present- i.e. if the stock shorelines, rivers, and roads are still there.

I did not create a road/river/shoreline exclude with this scenery because it is intended for Rhumbas mesh and water masking- which has no shorelines, rivers or roads- I think. At least my install of it does not.

However, I am planning to create an exclude so that those who wish to, can use it with stock mesh and masking. Although I am not too sure how well the stock mesh- what little of it there is- will fit with these new LWMs and shorelines.

But for the most part, this scenery is made to go with Rhumbas mesh and mask with me supplying all the shorelines, rivers and roads. In addition, I recommend that all other scenery that may in any way overlap with this scenery be deactivated while it is in use. I have tried to limit the impact of this scenery to the very narrow 70x160 mile corridor covered by Sakishima-Gunto. And have also made sure that any impact from this scenery is only present when its own folders are activated. Nothing at all is added to the main CFS2 Scenery folder.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by MaskRider; January 29th, 2016 at 22:42.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Many have tried their hand at Pacific scenery using your foundations and guidance Chris and done very well. But you are still the undisputed king of the Pacific theater scenery addons. I'm just happy you added the GSL touch to your work...makes everything so much more interesting. And your map work adds so much flavor to mission planning and operations.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Library Staff
    Sorry Chris, I meant to say Rhumba's early Pacific coastal flattens. You may remember these ones conflicted with your Marianas scenery:

M5082551.BGL Rota, Tinian, Saipan
    M5082571.BGL Guam
    M5122551.BGL Farallon de Pajaros
    M5122571.BGL Sarigan, Pagan, Agrihan
    M5162511.BGL Minamiioto
    M5162531.BGL Iwo Jima, ChiChijima
    M5202511.BGL MukoJima

Cheers,
    Kevin

Icon14

Thank you Kevin.

LOL! Man, I don't remember those being an issue at all. Zero recall. Must be getting old. I have found over the years, however, that many times I will be the last to hear of such a problem if ever at all. I can certainly see where they might have been an issue for the Marianas pack. Looking through the names and locations, though, I am pretty sure that they won't have any impact on this scenery at all. Those locations are well away from Sakishima-Gunto.

Cheers and thanks again.
    Chris

PS: Since I'm here, might as well post another map:

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Getting there!

Well.... its almost ready. Meanwhile, for your yawning enjoyment, here is a little table of non stock ships that appear in the "loaded" version of the Sakishima-Gunto gsl file. Just in case any one wants to rush out and get them all installed prior to the pack getting released!

So lets see if I can paste this thing in here:

MR Sakishima-Gunto Non-Stock ships list
    Item Sim name Author Filename Location
    1 af_lct_mk-vi Pen32Win af_amphib1.zip Pen32Win Object Packs @ SOH
    2 Hog_Islander_a Wolfgang Faber Hog_Islander.zip Wolfi's add ons @ SOH
    3 IJN_SC13_1944_LOD stuart277 CFS2_IJN_Sub_Chaser_Type13.zip Stuart277 Ships @ SOH
    4 JMK_Daihatsu Usio Daihatsu_V1b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    5 JMK_Fubuki Usio Fubuki_V6.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    6 JMK_Kumano Usio Kumano_V1a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    7 JMK_Landing_ship_No1 Usio Landing_ship_No1_V4.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    8 JMK_Mutsuki Usio Mutsuki_V6b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    9 JMK_Suzuya Usio Suzuya_V2a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    10 JMK_T-14 Usio T-14_V1b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    11 JMK_Uzuki Usio Uzuki_V3.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    12 JMK_Yaku Usio Yaku_V6a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    13 Liberty_ship ChrisN&Phil Crowther Cfs2_Liberty_Ship.zip ChrisN's add-ons @SOH
    14 PSK_BAR_AMMO Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    15 PSK_BAR_CR2 Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    16 PSK_BAR_LDB Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    17 PSK_BAR_OIL Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    18 PSK_BAR_WS Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation

Excellent!

Thats it.
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Doh! I tried to get this in before my time to edit the last post expired but failed. In the name of simplification I changed the links to the Usio ship downloads to the specific ship category page at his web site- instead of the generic link to his ship downloads index page. He has a lot of ships to wade through.

MR Sakishima-Gunto Non-Stock ships list
    Item Sim name Author Filename Location
    1 af_lct_mk-vi Pen32Win af_amphib1.zip Pen32Win Object Packs @ SOH
    2 Hog_Islander_a Wolfgang Faber Hog_Islander.zip Wolfi's add ons @ SOH
    3 IJN_SC13_1944_LOD stuart277 CFS2_IJN_Sub_Chaser_Type13.zip Stuart277 Ships @ SOH
    4 JMK_Daihatsu Usio Daihatsu_V1b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    5 JMK_Fubuki Usio Fubuki_V6.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    6 JMK_Kumano Usio Kumano_V1a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    7 JMK_Landing_ship_No1 Usio Landing_ship_No1_V4.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    8 JMK_Mutsuki Usio Mutsuki_V6b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    9 JMK_Suzuya Usio Suzuya_V2a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    10 JMK_T-14 Usio T-14_V1b.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    11 JMK_Uzuki Usio Uzuki_V3.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    12 JMK_Yaku Usio Yaku_V6a.zip Usio no Ibuki / cfs2 ships
    13 Liberty_ship ChrisN&Phil Crowther Cfs2_Liberty_Ship.zip ChrisN's add-ons @SOH
    14 PSK_BAR_AMMO Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    15 PSK_BAR_CR2 Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    16 PSK_BAR_LDB Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    17 PSK_BAR_OIL Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation
    18 PSK_BAR_WS Psulleykeys PSK_Barges.zip Psulleykeys add-ons @ Simviation

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Library Staff

Redundant Coastal Flattens

Hi Chris,

For those who use Rhumba's old Pacific coastal flattens, these two files may or may not conflict with your new scenery - so best delete them:

M5162211.BGL Yonaguni-Jima, Iriomote-Jima, Ishigaki-Shima
    M5162231.BGL Tarama-Jima, Miyako-Jima

KD
    Last edited by kdriver; February 4th, 2016 at 08:40.

Kevin.

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate it and will be sure to either include in the readme a list of the files you have mentioned or at least a link to this thread for any one who may be interested.

Judging from the names I guess they would conflict with this new scenery. Having never installed them myself, I couldn't say. Who knows? They might improve it!
    Hopefully Rhumba had the users install them in their own easily activated and deactivated folder so that the can be easily turned on and off.

I have already included an instruction, first line of the install-readme, that says "If you have any Japanese scenery installed could possibly conflict with this scenery, disable it." The map I posted earlier, also included with the scenery, clearly shows the very narrowly constricted area covered by this scenery- with all of the islands named. It should be easy to figure out.

As I said, I will reference the list you have provided as a way to head-off at the pass any issue that may arise.

Thanks gain!

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 4th, 2016 at 15:26.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Just about ready. Putting final tweaks on readme file. Just finished including a blurb about that list of Rhumba-related files. Thanks KD. The last thing I need to do is put in a blurb pushing the use of ACS/GPS with this scenery. With all of it little harborlets tucked away here and there Sakishima-Gunto is the perfect place to do some sight-seeing, as well as imbibing in gratuitous rocketings, bombings and strafings, and acs/gps is the perfect little "app" to do it with. I have included an acs/gps prg file- Sakishima-Gunto.prg.

Anyway I need to refresh myself as to the proper configuration for uploading a file here at SOH and then I will be ready to upload. It should be in the library before the end of the day tomorrow.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Chris westervelt

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: Sakishima-Gunto is the name of the island chain southwest of Okinawa, between the NE coast of Formosa and Okinawa. The Japanese flew Kamikaze missions against American shipping during the invasion of Okinawa from airfields on Ishigaki-Shima and Miyako. DevilDog73’s Operation Iceberg project is what got me interested in Sakishima-Gunto. It’s a very cool little group of islands with all sorts of what I call harborlets. Tucked all around here and there- mainly to handle the ferry traffic between the islands and the fishing boats. So, it is a very target-rich environment.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Chris westervelt
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22

Just finished up loading it! Be sure to let me know via email, private messages, forum post if there are any issues. I am expecting them so don't hesitate.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

You're one sweet dude Chris!

Got her loaded and just need to get the gsl items. Add another to my top ten list for 2016.
    I luv finding your tucked away scenes. Those really add to the immersion.

Thanks!

Absolutely beautiful Maskrider. The amount of time and effort to produce this work must be immense. Thanks for sharing with us.

msfossey

Sir,
    I have always enjoyed your sceneries and use quite a few of them. These latest efforts are an absolute "4-bagger". Thank you for all the time and effort it took to create these.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Blog Entries

Thank you again Maskrider

Thak you again for your beautiful sceneries Maskrider; This one is superb

Beepee

Icon22 Reply...

Chris,

As Bearcat says, your airfield and scenery work is still the crème de la crème of CFS2 scenery building, and always gives me something to aspire to. Great work!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Sakishima-Gunto is now released!

AS a WWII Pacific Theater junkie, I bow down to you as the Master of Maps for CFS2! I wouldn't have half the fun If I didn't have your sceneries to shoot up.
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Icon5

Hey Chris,

I fell like a rookie here.

I've a problem at Ishigaki harbor. Missing texture or landclass possibly?

Here's my layering...

Code:
    [Area.024]
    Title=MR Sakishima-Gunto Masks and Exclds
    Local=ADDON\MR Sakishima-Gunto Masks and Exclds
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=23

[Area.023]
    Title=MR Sakishima-Gunto Water and Landclass
    Local=ADDON\MR Sakishima-Gunto Water and Landclass
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=24

[Area.025]
    Title=MR Sakishima-Gunto
    Local=ADDON\MR Sakishima-Gunto
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=25
    I'm going to check things again and I'll get back to you.
    Dv

Icon5

Hmmmm... never a good sign. Yes, I am thinking something might have been left out of the texture folder.

Whats weird is that I simply copied that folder- the mr-sakishima-gunto-160206\MR Sakishima-Gunto\texture folder - directly from my own. Perhaps it is calling out something that I neglected to stick in that folder. Is it happening anywhere else? Or just at Ishigaki Harbor?

I am not sure what the scenery.cfg file should look like but in the CFS2/scenery library window they should be stacked as follows:
    MR Sakishima-Gunto
    MR Sakishima-Gunto Water and Landclass
    MR Sakishima-Gunto Masks and Exclds

Here is what the list of included textures should look like.

I'll check to see if I can reproduce.
    Chris
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 7th, 2016 at 09:20.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Hmmmm?

Come on. I'm not fishing for complements. If there is an issue I need to know! ;^)

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Chris,

I haven't installed yet (I know...), but looking at the zip contents of the "texture" folder & Dave's screenie, I'll bet it's one of the textures you called up as a backdrop for the quaysides/ town layout in this folder.

If these aren't present in the SCENERY/WORLD/TEXTURE (they can actually look different, but must at least be present), then "GREEN/BROWN/BLUE square-time , as the sim tries to understand what to display where...
    Last edited by UncleTgt; February 7th, 2016 at 08:49. Reason: spelling

Icon22

Hiya UT,

Understood.

So, copying everything except for the hi-lited files (the custom airfield ground poly textures) to the SCENEDB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder and refusing to over-wite anything that comes up should solve the problem, or at at least eliminate it as a possibility?

Dv,

Sorry about this. How about giving this a try: copy all of the non-hi-lited files shown below into your SCENEDB/WORLD/TEXTURE folder, refuse to over-write anything that is already there, and see if that solves the issue.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will turn out to be 061h2su6o.bmp, which is used extensively through out this scenery to texture the quayside ground. It is stock version of PacTex's 061h2su6.bmp. I always liked it so I tacked an "o" onto the end so that I could keep using it. I use it a lot as an under layer in my airfield ground poly textures but rarely, I guess, as a call-out for a VTP1 ground poly.

Live and learn.

That is what feedback is for! I had a feeling that something like this might come up. Thanks for taking the time to pursue it!

Standing by, anxiously awaiting results!

Chris
    Last edited by MaskRider; February 7th, 2016 at 10:01.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 2