Virtavia AJ-2 Savage is out! - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia AJ-2 Savage is out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Looking forward to see what these will do with the repaints!

Cees
    I set the files up for you to just drop into the PK above the dedicated texture files for each variant. You won't need to do a lot of extra work, just re-save your texture sheets with the added layers ticked. The bump and spec files are a drop in to the texture.shared folder.

The rivet, panel and panel stress layers in the PK will highlight your skins with the added detail. I did a test run on one of your files already....nice!
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    i may need to get this now The screen shots on the website didnt make it look so great now the user pictures on here really show how nice the model really looks
    When I finish the skins and bump/spec package, so just keep checking this thread. I'll post up when I upload the package.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I'm not a painter. Following these posts and looking at the screenshots has me in awe of what you guys are doing. These new skins look fantastic, and your discussions are adding a whole new awareness and dimension of what goes into them. Thanks for everyone's efforts. Much appreciated.

Cheers
    I hope the developer is reading these posts. ;-) A little knowledge would help to improve their products which equals improved sales and reputation.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I came across a site where someone built a model of the Savage. Got a better picture of how it should be!

Cees

Will this updated version with the red/orange wings and elevators be available?

-Larry
    USAFVET
    12 year USAF veteran , Air Trans
    "Life is like herding cats through a fish market".

Quote Originally Posted by usafvet View Post
    Will this updated version with the red/orange wings and elevators be available?

-Larry
    It already is Larry!

See the dropbox link a few posts back! (post 73 on page 3!)

But I will redo them all after gman is ready.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I hope the developer is reading these posts. ;-) A little knowledge would help to improve their products which equals improved sales and reputation.
    Representatives of the developer read and participate in the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I've fixed the white gear wells and struts using the master textures. Since these textures
    weren't a part of the paint kit I'm just awaiting the go-ahead before making them available.

Attachment 34752
    Here are replacement white gear/gear well textures. Study your references to see if they are appropriate for your aircraft and please read the "Readme" file

AJ-2_White_Gear.zip

Originally Posted by dvj

"I hope the developer is reading these posts. ;-) A little knowledge would help to improve their products which equals improved sales and reputation"

we're here and listening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Here are replacement white gear/gear well textures. Study your references to see if they are appropriate for your aircraft and please read the "Readme" file
    I really appreciate you taking the time to make the mods to the gear texture sheets.

Trying to do an aircraft that was in service during the early fifties is always a challenge due to the fact that many would have changed dramatically as the aircraft underwent PAR and paint directives changed. The blue and white skin VJ-61 was circa 1953 out of Sangley Point, Philippines so I would probably leave the wells green for this model.

I actually was fortunate enough to get a copy of the Maintenance and Paint Directives pages when I began the F7F Tigercat, and would assume the same general specifications would have applied to all service aircraft.

Just a FYI for everyone, the panels and rivets I created were a best guess using materials I was able to access on the web. The panel lines should be close, but the rivets are very much an estimation. If I can find detailed structural drawings or good photos, I'll be modifying my files to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks for listening...I realize that things are quite busy trying to keep up with the numerous revisions and changes with the various flight sim platforms.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Just an addendum to my previous comments.

The paint kit for this model is one of the most comprehensive I have seen, this is one of the reasons I felt confident in building my own files.

One consideration for future paint kits, a colored or grayscale UVW mesh "template" layer is probably one of the most useful tools for end user paints as it allows the user to find obscure parts, and more importantly, locate panel joints i.e. rudder, aileron, wing fold, elevator, cowl flaps etc.

Also, as you build the base model your placements of formers, wing cross sections and other technical elements translate to the UVW mesh map. By placing panel lines in conjunction with the UVW map, bump maps, specular lighting and other active elements of the aircraft can be perfectly matched to your model by the end user who takes advantage of the PK.

As illustrated by the screen caps of the enhanced model, it is obvious that this is an awesome, well crafted airplane. The participation of the developers and their representatives, along with the community here is very much appreciated. The end result of this sort of collaboration speaks for itself.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Just an addendum to my previous comments.

The paint kit for this model is one of the most comprehensive I have seen, this is one of the reasons I felt confident in building my own files.

One consideration for future paint kits, a colored or grayscale UVW mesh "template" layer is probably one of the most useful tools for end user paints as it allows the user to find obscure parts, and more importantly, locate panel joints i.e. rudder, aileron, wing fold, elevator, cowl flaps etc.

Also, as you build the base model your placements of formers, wing cross sections and other technical elements translate to the UVW mesh map. By placing panel lines in conjunction with the UVW map, bump maps, specular lighting and other active elements of the aircraft can be perfectly matched to your model by the end user who takes advantage of the PK.

As illustrated by the screen caps of the enhanced model, it is obvious that this is an awesome, well crafted airplane. The participation of the developers and their representatives, along with the community here is very much appreciated. The end result of this sort of collaboration speaks for itself.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Unfortunately, with all the research I did on the AJ, and it was extensive, including several pilot manuals, I never came across an Erection and Maintenance manual. That most likely would have shown lots of structural details. Even drawings and photos such as these were not much help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AJ1 Savage.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	34811

Name:	AJ-2_Savage_retired_at_Litchfield_Park.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	34812

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Unfortunately, with all the research I did on the AJ, and it was extensive, including several pilot manuals, I never came across an Erection and Maintenance manual. That most likely would have shown lots of structural details. Even drawings and photos such as these were not much help.
    I've had relatively little success, with quite a few large photos but of low or grainy quality. Be that as it may, estimating wing ribs and panel locations from other aircraft can sure help...that's what I do in situations such as this.

The maintenance markings can be roughly extrapolated from other aircraft as well. I have a good schematic from the Tigercat which can be loosely adapted to the Savage, with the caveat that it's a representation, not a technically perfect representation. It will still look good from a galloping horse.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is very hard to find good material for this plane. There are very few color photos and only a few close-by shots. We have here a plane that is perhaps in some aspects more conjecture than replica, but boy she is great fun!!

Cees

See if this one helps. The version I have is much larger but I don't know how to upload that version. If this picture will help I can email you a bmp version which will open full size with paint. Just PM me your address and I'll send it over.

Name:	north-american-aj-2p-savage.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	34813

Blog Entries
    It is very hard to find good material for this plane. There are very few color photos and only a few close-by shots. We have here a plane that is perhaps in some aspects more conjecture than replica, but boy she is great fun!!

Cees
    Does the Steve Ginter book have any reasonably good photos i.e. panels, rivets...etc? I can order the book if it's worth it.

Fun to fly...I've probably shot 100 traps and haven't missed any, including the first one. Not always a 3 wire, but still fun especially in P3D 3.1 with a pitching deck and gnarly weather.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    See if this one helps. The version I have is much larger but I don't know how to upload that version.

Great minds.....yep, this is the one I used for my panel layout, however, the V-stab and cowl flaps are quite a bit different than the model. I've actually brought the model into 3DStudio Max and am making a set of UVW maps to overlay onto the paint templates. I can zero the details exactly to match your model, but the rivets are still anyone's guess. lol
    Thomas Jefferson

I have Ginters book. I'll have another look see at it. But as has been stated, really good detailed photos are at a premium. There's just not a lot of detailed info on this plane, at least not from the usual sources. I would imagine the library of Congress or Naval archives have tons of close up photos but I have never had any luck getting into their data bases.

And if you look at the close ups the rivet detailed on the real plane is flush and very hard to detect. The fellas over at N.A. did a clean job on this one.

Name:	AJ closeup 1.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	34814

Name:	AJ closeup 2.jpg 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	34815

Name:	AJ closeup 3.jpg 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	34816

As you can see the finish was really smooth and I think the Gloss Blue paint helped to make panel lines and rivets disappear into the bakground. I'll keep looking.

Blog Entries
    I have Ginters book. I'll have another look see at it. But as has been stated, really good detailed photos are at a premium. There's just not a lot of detailed info on this plane, at least not from the usual sources. I would imagine the library of Congress or Naval archives have tons of close up photos but I have never had any luck getting into their data bases.

And if you look at the close ups the rivet detailed on the real plane is flush and very hard to detect. The fellas over at N.A. did a clean job on this one.

Some of the best imagery I've found is in a series of videos by "Critical Past". The videos are sharp enough to screen cap shots and guestimate a number of critical details. Fun to watch too.

Thomas Jefferson

I agree, I've a lot of time over there checking out close ups of cat gear and holdbacks and the like. That's some serious rudder he's using on that waveoff

Way OT Check out these Skyhawk, Tiger and Demon launches and traps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur_BpImBnkI

BTW I did an update on AS's old Tiger FDE. Let me know if you're interested.

Apologies for straying off topic but doesn't one of those clips show a Banshee with a nuclear weapon?

Blog Entries
    I agree, I've a lot of time over there checking out close ups of cat gear and holdbacks and the like. That's some serious rudder he's using on that waveoff

Always interested....

BTW, something I caught in that video was the trap. I've had quite a few traps in this airplane where I caught the wire before the wheels touched the deck. The video shows exactly the same...it's the details that really make for a really good model.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    Apologies for straying off topic but doesn't one of those clips show a Banshee with a nuclear weapon?
    Certainly does look suspiciously like that...doesn't it?
    Thomas Jefferson

+1

Cees

Members who have read this thread: 0