Looking for a drawing.

Thread: Looking for a drawing.

Question Looking for a drawing.

When the FHC Focke-Wulf FW190 A-5 was being restored there were many discussions about the colours it should or shouldn't have. I can remember a drawing which contained 3 profiles of this FW190 in colours it had during its operational life.

It has been posted her at the SOH, but I'm not able to find it here, but also "outside" on the web I had no luck so far.

Is there anybody here who still has this drawing or knows where to find it?

Thanks,
    Huub

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Thanks Rick, but I'm afraid this is not the one I'm looking for.

Cheers,
    Huub

Here you go, Huub: http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=39483 (Scroll down a bit, first post)
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Great John! That's the one I was looking for!

Thanks,
    Huub

New skin in the works Huub?

I fly the A5 in your FHC dirty scheme quite often.

Not really, I was contacted by somebody who told me he disliked the colours of the FHC FW190 A5. He just couldn't believe these were authentic, especially when you compare the pictures taken in the forest with the end result.
    So I will send him the link which John posted above. He can read the complete story.

But perhaps I will do the first two schemes in the future (but not now).

Cheers,
    Huub

One of the things that I've found is how different the paint on the aircraft looks under different lighting conditions. With low-light, on a cloudy day or inside the hangar, the paint attributes look very believable/as you'd expect it to have looked. In direct-sunlight (such as when it was in Arizona, being painted/flight tested), the aircraft can look quite garish. Of course when the aircraft was found in the forest, much of the paint from this particular scheme (4./JG54) was very faded or missing. The type of paint used on the restoration is also described as being an "egg shell" type finish - one with a slight sheen to it - which according to FHC was done in order to mimic the look of JG54 aircraft which are known to have been polished by their ground crew.

http://bobqat.com/AeroBob/PAE_2011-08-06/original/Fw%20190A-5%20%20N19027%20%20Flying%20Heritage%20Collection% 20%20PAE%20%208-6-11%20%20045.jpg

http://res.cloudinary.com/sagacity/i...-79_jj7lqn.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0603770%29.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...42ef514280.jpg

http://bobqat.com/AeroBob/PAE_2011-0...1%20%20256.jpg

http://bobqat.com/AeroBob/PAE_2011-0...1%20%20195.jpg
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Colours are always a subject for hot discussions. Many WWII colours are based on black&white pictures, so you could wonder how reliable this is.
    Paint also ages, so original paint may look different than it did 73 years ago.

But to be honest, my very red car is parked in front of my house, but I'm not able to reproduce the exact same colour behind my computer. And like the FHC FW190A it actually looks different under different light conditions.

So I do my best, but don't expect the aircraft really looked exactly the same as my repaints. When I did the FHC FW190A only a few pictures were available and mainly from one side. Now I know that the paint scheme is slightly different than the scheme I made.

Personally I think when somebody is willing to invest this kind of money to keep a rare warbird flying he will also do everything in his power to make it as authentic as possible. But I think nobody knows how it really looked, not even Paul Rätz when he would be still alive.

Paul Rätz (The pilot who made the belly-landing) was convinced that the aircraft had been sabotaged as it had been fitted with an new engine. The engines were build by forced laborers (I hope this is proper English). While reading about the restoration I learned that they actually had found pieces of cloth in the oil lines of the engine. Paul Rätz had taken the clock out of the aircraft and kept it even during the period he was POW. His family still has the original clock.

Cheers,
    Huub

The Fw190 A5 Werk.Nr 1227 in its original factory colours....

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries

Finally somebody talking sense!!!

Bomber_12th and Hubb,

I have said it sooooo many times... for all those rivet counters who complain about authenticity in colors being wrong in some renditions.. mine or anyone else's... Weather, lighting conditions, oxidation, etc. etc.
    DO play a part in changing factory colors... to such an extent that there is no such thing as the EXACT color of anything... one cannot find two Mercedes of the same year, same color, model, etc. that after some months
    of normal use... have the same exact factory colors... even after an accident.. repaints have to be tempered with "fading agents" to match the present color of the automobile...
    During my time in Viet Nam.. there were no two aircraft or helicopters with the same color... they all saw different uses, even zones in-country (dry up north
    and much wetter down south during the summer and winter...with the net result of not finding two aircraft in a same squadron bearing a uniform shade of colors...
    Even in modeling... size changes the overall vivacity or colors... (the so called scale-effect)

G.

Still need to do the spec maps. And for me its a bit weird to do a hardly weathered new aircraft

Cheers,
    Huub

Very nice, Huub! Gonna be another beauty!

What a beaut!

nice one, Huub!
    OK clean, but still looks good
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

The Focke-Wulf FW 190 A-5 with construction number (0150) 1227 was one of a series of 712 aircraft built between January 1943 and August 1943. The aircraft was manufactured in April 1943 at the Focke-Wulf factory in Mariënburg (now Malbork Poland).
    The aircraft was delivered in May 1943 and went to 4./JG54 which flew from Siverskaya near Leningrad (now Petersburg. On Monday July 19th 1943, after a ground attack mission the engine failed.The pilot, Feldweber Paul Rätz performed a successful belly landing near Voibakala, where the aircraft remained until is was discovered in 1989 and recovered in 1991.

This is how (I think) it looked when it left the factory.

Cheers,
    Huub

Before it was repainted by JG54 it received its theater markings. Based on the pictures from the wreck in the Leningrad forest I have chosen for a complete band around the fuselage.

As the aircraft was quite new, I did apply only a minimum of weathering.

Cheers,
    Huub

I have uploaded the textures for those who want them.

Enjoy,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0