Wanted! Royal Navy repaint for Just Flight Tiger Moth.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted! Royal Navy repaint for Just Flight Tiger Moth.

Wanted! Royal Navy repaint for Just Flight Tiger Moth.

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone can help with this at all?

I would very much like to have a Royal Navy version of the Just Flight Tiger Moth; to represent an aircraft from the Royal Naval College Dartmouth, 'Britannia', Air Experience Flight, based at Roborough, Plymouth, UK.

The particular example that I am looking for is when they were in over all Silver, with Orange Dayglo stripes.

Pics of a model kit of this aircraft that I made, (other shots available):-

This was NL878 the last Biplane to fly from an aircraft carrier.

ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiger Moth Model 014.jpg   Tiger Moth Model 003.jpg   Tiger Moth Model 004.jpg   RN Tiger Moth HMS EAGLE.jpg  

I don't have the JF Tiggie but this paint would certainly be welcome on Ant's model so if anyone here has that and would like to throw some paint at it.. it'd be much appreciated

Sorry for hijacking your request ChipShop
    ATB
    DaveB

I know very little about repainting, but I suspect Ant's would be easier, especially as it has some overall bare finishes as a starting point.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Right ok, I have been told about that version, sounds like it's the preferred Tiggie by all accounts, thanks dhasdell
    👍😃ChipShop

Thanks for the links to Ant's Tiger Moth. I've been wanting one for quite a while.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I've always wanted to repaint Ant's excellent Tiger Moth in a whole range of Fleet Air Arm colours and this thread has spurred me on... I've made a start! I'm trying to use the same dayglo etc as I did with my Royal Navy repaints for Dave Garwood's Hunters. If I succeed I'll probably release the Tiger Moth repaints as a batch like I did those Hunters too.
    Last edited by spatialpro; January 22nd, 2016 at 06:52.

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I've always wanted to repaint Ant's excellent Tiger Moth in a whole range of Fleet Air Arm colours
    If you can fit it in I'd rather like a 1950's RAF silver with yellow bands, and maybe a pre-war yellow overall, please.

Silver with yellow bands comes as one of the default paints for it me thinks. Had a look this afternoon with a view to making a start on one but as Andy has picked up the challenge.. I'm happy to sit and wait

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Silver with yellow bands comes as one of the default paints for it me thinks. Had a look this afternoon with a view to making a start on one but as Andy has picked up the challenge.. I'm happy to sit and wait

ATB
    DaveB
    Same here. I've been poking through the paint kit and was thinking of giving it a go myself. Still might do a couple just for the practice though.

Silver with yellow bands comes as one of the default paints for it
    Yes, but it's an Australian one, as is the overall yellow with rather unusual rudder striping.

...Had a look this afternoon with a view to making a start on one but as Andy has picked up the challenge.. I'm happy to sit and wait
    Me as well!
    One good thing with the paint kit, is it comes with the layers for all the included paint schemes, so swapping a reg or two shouldn't be difficult.

Well, well! Seems like there's quite a lot of interest in this suggestion; the Royal Navy did indeed use the Silver/Yellow band colours at Roborough as well although much earlier of course!
    Must take a look at Ant's Tiger Moth!
    ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    I've always wanted to repaint Ant's excellent Tiger Moth in a whole range of Fleet Air Arm colours and this thread has spurred me on... I've made a start! I'm trying to use the same dayglo etc as I did with my Royal Navy repaints for Dave Garwood's Hunters. If I succeed I'll probably release the Tiger Moth repaints as a batch like I did those Hunters too.
    Hi Airtrooper

I see that you're not a million miles away from me, in fact in the County next door!
    Mate, if you like, I have a few more images of both the model and of the real aircraft at Roborough. Plus, a list of the Tiger Moth serial numbers of the aircraft based there! If it's of any help i'll PM them to you Ok?

Glad you've taken up the challenge Mate,
    ChipShop

I don't have the JF Tiggie but this paint would certainly be welcome on Ant's model so if anyone here has that and would like to throw some paint at it.. it'd be much appreciated

Sorry for hijacking your request ChipShop
    ATB
    DaveB
    No need to apologise Old Boy! You hijack away there; after all you've helped me out enough times!

ChipShop

ChipShop, do you have any pics of the nose? Looks to be some more striping on the engine cowling.

Hmm.. phots of this are hard to come by. Found a variation on the theme marked up from Yeovilton but I can't vouch for the accuracy of the paint..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...1o0&ajaxhist=0

ATB
    DaveB

At this present time could only find two good photos, but will keep looking this weekend. Am sure I have more.....somewhere! (Just remembered all my volumes of Scale Aircraft Modelling...sure to be one on the Tiger Moth?).

But then this one could also be painted up

Best wishes,

Martin

Progress has been rapid and successful here! If I were on the right PC I'd post some shots.

The FAA Tiger Moths have always fascinated me, in the same way as their Hunters. Over the years I've collected photos of them, but more are always very welcome please! Their paint, dayglo patches, fonts etc are subtly different on almost every machine, and over time too... but I love a challenge. I'm happy to do a yellow FAA one, plus silver and yellow FAA (there was at least one example which retained this scheme onto the mid/late '60s).

I'm thinking in the short term I may upload one scheme for people to get going with, then release a whole bunch as a package.

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Hi Martin,

You've posted two of the photos that I had found; well done mate!

T-7404 Guess what? THAT is the Tiger Moth that I flew in, back in 1988; she had an unfinished silver front engine cowling at the time!
    What a coincidence!

Ttfn,
    ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Progress has been rapid and successful here! If I were on the right PC I'd post some shots.

The FAA Tiger Moths have always fascinated me, in the same way as their Hunters. Over the years I've collected photos of them, but more are always very welcome please! Their paint, dayglo patches, fonts etc are subtly different on almost every machine, and over time too... but I love a challenge. I'm happy to do a yellow FAA one, plus silver and yellow FAA (there was at least one example which retained this scheme onto the mid/late '60s).

I'm thinking in the short term I may upload one scheme for people to get going with, then release a whole bunch as a package.

Andy
    WOW! You splendid Fellow Andy!
    As I said Mate, if you want any details that I have just ask< unless of course you already have what you need!

Cheers,
    ChipShop

Just an observation: The model has the wrong roundels compared to the real aircraft. It should be the post war type D roundel and not the small red circle pre/early war type A.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    ChipShop, do you have any pics of the nose? Looks to be some more striping on the engine cowling.
    Here you are Willy!
    ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiger Moth Model 001.jpg  

Thanks, I might be able to do something with this. (Kind of in between Gee Bee paints)

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Just an observation: The model has the wrong roundels compared to the real aircraft. It should be the post war type D roundel and not the small red circle pre/early war type A.
    Yes, I was aware of that, but it was a first attempt model and I used what decals I had at the time!
    ChipShop

Members who have read this thread: 0