Oh no!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no!!!

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Oh no!!!

My external backup HD just stopped- It took with it everything I have......... So hopefully I can find someone to recover the data if not it has been a great ride all these years.

I hope you do Ted, it's a major catastrophe otherwise. Ouch ouch ouch.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

ouch..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    OH No!! That is a true catastrophe, I will pray this can be resolved and recovered.

yikes. I dearly hope it is recoverable.

I assume you don't mean "backup" literally in that case. Bummer

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    My external backup HD just stopped- It took with it everything I have......... So hopefully I can find someone to recover the data if not it has been a great ride all these years.
    I have had this happen to two external hard drives over the years. In both cases I removed the hard drive from the case and installed it in the desk top computer as the second or third hard drive, which ever fits your set up. I have been lucky, all of the information was still on the hard drives and not harmed in any way. In my case the problem was not the hard drive but the interface built into the external drive case.
    External drive cases Without the drives, are available at very reasonable prices from Fry's, Newegg and many other places,for both notebook and desk top hard drives. Before I spent big bucks to have an expert recover the folders and files I would try the above. Good Luck!!!
    Chuck

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Oh no!!!

I agree with Chuck68, I've also had two external HDD failures, both were traced to failures of the connectors in the external case. It's certainly worth a shot at trying it in the desktop. If the HDD is toast, it won't hurt anything.
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Agree with the last 2 posters. Just because the drive does not spin up doesn't mean it's bad.

Simply disconnect it from the motherboard for an hour, you might even remove it.

Then reconnect it it and try again. I have had 7-8 units do the same thing when I was managing 130 computers in a network.
    They all started working again usually within 30 minutes of hauling them to my office.

If you get it working, do a backup to an external or other physical drive periodically.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hopefully it is just a problem with the external case.

There are a number of desperation moves that can be attempted- only when your last step is to use the HD as a paperweight-
    These can be fully researched on Google so not going to go step by step.

Two that have worked for me:

Put the drive in the freezer. This has worked twice for me out of maybe 5 tries. Drive only works for a short time so know ahead of time what the most important files to grab are.
    You may be able to repeat the process, one pass was all I ever got.

Rapidly power cycle the HD on and off. This is easier to do with an external enclosure (and does not stress the rest of your PC). I've done this with a number of internal hard drives (work computers) and probably about 40% success rate.
    Again this "shocking" the drive will likely only work for a short time.

Make sure whatever you hope to move the data to is connected and ready to transfer.
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

That's a case of "Oh No!!" indeed!

When you say "backup", does that mean there 's still a working copy around on your internal HD? [he asked hopefully].
    A bit late to close the barn door but I always try to keep at least two copies of my files on separate disks; my working copy on my internal HD and a daily (automated) backup on an external HD. If not, I can only say we 've all been there at one time or another and offer you (and the community) my sincere condolances with a major loss of CFS3 wealth (but I still keep my fingers crossed!).

PS. Don't forget gmax' Autobak function. If used, you 'll have at least a version of the latest project you were working on... (unless that is saved to the unlucky HD too...)

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Blog Entries
    Bad news Ted, hope you can get it back again.

PS. Don't forget gmax' Autobak function. If used, you 'll have at least a version of the latest project you were working on... (unless that is saved to the unlucky HD too...)
    Good idea Joost, if I remember rightly Gmax stores the BAK files in the main programme folder, may be worth a look.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

I was having trouble with a new SSD dropping dead. It turned out to be a bad SATA cable.

When my external hard drive stopped working it was just a bad power connection.

Sometimes it pays to be lucky.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Terrible news from one of our best modelers. I hope all is not lost . Been through a major crash and don't want it repeated again. Now i have backups of backups.

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Nachtpiloten, I really hope you can recover your incredible number of hours' hard work from your HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
    I agree with Chuck68, I've also had two external HDD failures, both were traced to failures of the connectors in the external case. It's certainly worth a shot at trying it in the desktop. If the HDD is toast, it won't hurt anything.
    I had the same experience with an external HDD. When I opened it up, to my surprise it was just a plastic case with some bodgy connecters to an internal HDD. So I was able to connect it via a SATA lead direct to the motherboard, and so instead of an external HDD, I've had an internal 1Tb HDD ever since.....

I'm really hoping your HDD problem is easily fixed.

Blog Entries
    Hope all is well and your data was recovered. Sad news if not. You are one of the best out there and it's a huge loss for all of us that use your great work. You are much appreciated here at SOH.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Update

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Have a new 2tb external and was able to transfer the contents of the older drive

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by nachtpiloten View Post
    thanks for the kind words and advice. Have a new 2tb external and was able to transfer the contents of the older drive

hip-hip...

...hoo-raaaaay!!!!!

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Blog Entries
    Great News!!! Happy that all went well.

WOOHOOO! I'm sure our excitement pales in comparison to your own though. Glad your work is safe.

Large sigh of relief!!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful!! And there was much rejoicing!!

Phew!!

Congrats on recovering the data, Ted! That must have cost you a few ugly words and some drops of sweat. Good to hear that you 're back up and running!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Members who have read this thread: 0