Anyone willing to create the De Havilland Drover?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone willing to create the De Havilland Drover?

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Anyone willing to create the De Havilland Drover?

Is there a freeware developer out there who would be prepared to have a look at creating the DHA-3 De Havilland Drover? I am asking freeware developers for this as it is basically a plane that was designed specifically for the Australian outback. Not many aircraft were built and the main user was the Royal Flying Doctor. QANTAS and TAA also used them.

Please understand that I ask for it as freeware not because I don't want to pay for it (I have a very large hangar of Payware aircraft) but the fact that as payware it probably would not be a big seller.

Also it would look great in my extensive De Havilland hangar. I am the proud owner of every DH aircraft released for FSX and have managed to convert most FS9 DH aircraft to fly in P3D.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Is there not a Drover already out there Pat? Sure I've seen one but it's probably FS9 flavour.

ATB
    DaveB

I only found one dating back to the late '90's for FS5/98. I also found mention of one being developed on the Avsim forum but the last post by the developer was August of 2012.

Looks like a very interesting aircraft Pat, not heard of it before. If I wasn't already swamped with unfinished aircraft I might have considered it. I hope someone offers to do it for you.
    Larry

Belgium, Somewhere between Lat: 51.083 and Long: 4.350
    Blog Entries
    Hi Pat.
    I would want to call myself a hobby airplane designer / freeware developer.
    If the Drove shouldn't be ready in the next two months, I would like to try it out and construct the bird for you!
    At the moment, my two airships (see FSX General Discussion: Zeppelins from WW I ) are still waiting for a suitable aircraft.cfg file for FSX, so that I can upload them (maybe someone here has experience with cfg's for airships??) and the Fokker F-36 below is waiting to be finished.

But anyhow, I'm very interested to construct an aircraft which is again somewhat out of the mainstream.

Let me know, how you think about it.

Greets from Belgium, Andreas (Flyandy)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fokker F-36.jpg  

Thanks Andreas. This request is not just for me but I think the whole FS community. I did have this aircraft back in either FS95 or 98 so you can see just how old this model would be.

There is no rush for this ...... just an idea.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Thanks Andreas. This request is not just for me but I think the whole FS community. I did have this aircraft back in either FS95 or 98 so you can see just how old this model would be.

The idea is good and I'm also open for those birds outside the mainstream. And of corse, it would be a benefit for the whole FS community.

Do you maybe have some more information or plans, I could use? I've looked already on the net, there's a lot to find as well.

One thing I have to tell you is: I am using Abacus FSDS 3 and 3.5.

So, no GMax in any way. Don't be disappointed, if you'd expected the latter!

Basically, I'm able to construct a whole airplane with FSDS without any probs. But the program does have some restrictions in some special cases, like specific animations or in other words....just dropping something out of the aircraft like a simple drop tank or something else won't work.

I've tried e.g. to build the Bachem Natter for FSX. But I had to stop the project, 'cos 1. the specific divergation 'the falling apart', after having fired off all rockets couldn't be created/animated and 2. also the firing of the rockets didn't work and 3. of course also the drop tanks didn't work.

But constructing a simple aircraft like the Drove shouldn't be a problem.

If my little remarks do not bother you, I'm your man.

Greets from cold Belgium,

Andy

maybe someone here has experience with cfg's for airships?
    I messaged you about the AI blimp which comes in the old FS9 Golden Hawaii addon. I wondered if it might be useful.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Some pics of the Drover at HARS, which if I remember correctly is back on the flying list.

MikeW

If you're going to do a Drover it too 'drops things off'....usually a prop ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    If you're going to do a Drover it too 'drops things off'....usually a prop ....
    That won't be good, isn't it??

Blog Entries

starting to build the Drover

Hello Pat.

Just a small question...........I was starting modeling the DHA and I was wondering which basic fuselage would be more authentical. Number 1, which is a lot more slim towards the nose or number 2 ?

BTW, I would prefer, to use the original DHA I with Gipsy Major engines instead of the later modificatios ......okay?

Pls, let me know.

Greets,

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuselage DHA.jpg  

Pretty please... it would be very nice if this airplane could also be made available for FS 9 as well. As Pat said... only the RFDS used it, but hey, it is a deHavilland!

Thanks!

Alan

Blog Entries

fs9....of corse

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    Pretty please... it would be very nice if this airplane could also be made available for FS 9 as well. As Pat said... only the RFDS used it, but hey, it is a deHavilland!

Thanks!

Alan
    Hi Alan.

The Drover will be compatible with FS 9 as well. All my planes are worked out in FS9 and thereafter fitted for FSX. So, you can be sure that it will work.
    It gonna take me some months...that's the normal way it is.

Greetings from Flanders, Belgium

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Becker View Post
    Hi Alan.

The Drover will be compatible with FS 9 as well. All my planes are worked out in FS9 and thereafter fitted for FSX. So, you can be sure that it will work.
    It gonna take me some months...that's the normal way it is.

Greetings from Flanders, Belgium

Andy
    Andy,

Awesome news! Take as much time as you need; many Thanks for being willing to take on the Drover!

If you need any Technical Specs, I'd be more than happy to try and find them for you.

Alan

Blog Entries

Technical specs

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    Andy,

Awesome news! Take as much time as you need; many Thanks for being willing to take on the Drover!

If you need any Technical Specs, I'd be more than happy to try and find them for you.

Alan
    Hey Alan, when I need help, I will come back to you. Thanks for the offer.

At the moment, I need some authentical pictures of the cockpit.

Maybe, you could support me already in this case, 'cos I searched the internet but there are no really good shots to find.

Maybe some links or shots........doesn't matter what. I'm about to collect as much infos as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Becker View Post
    Hello Pat.

Just a small question...........I was starting modeling the DHA and I was wondering which basic fuselage would be more authentical. Number 1, which is a lot more slim towards the nose or number 2 ?

BTW, I would prefer, to use the original DHA I with Gipsy Major engines instead of the later modificatios ......okay?

Pls, let me know.

Greets,

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Go with #1 and the Gipsy Majors. This will make it more authentic.

Cheers
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Hi Andy,

Go with #1 and the Gipsy Majors. This will make it more authentic.

Allright Pat.

I'm working with no. 1

Greetings

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails further step.jpg  

Thanks Andy. There are 2 Drovers within 4 hours drive of me. One in Bathurst and one at HARS in Wollongong.

I am not very mobile (in a wheelchair) but I will see if I can get some photos for you.

Cheers
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Thanks Andy. There are 2 Drovers within 4 hours drive of me. One in Bathurst and one at HARS in Wollongong.

I am not very mobile (in a wheelchair) but I will see if I can get some photos for you.
    Hello Pat.

That would be very kind.

I'm looking for photgraphs of all parts of the Drover, also for painting a livery as authentical as possible later. Also small details of the fuselage, especially the engine nacelles and more are of great interest for me. They could also be taken from a wreckage or so. That doesn't matter at all.

In association with the cockpit: what kind of gauges are nomally installed? The same as in the DH Dove, or are they different?

But don't hurry and take your time.

Best wishes,

Andy

Anyone know how this is progressing?

Cheers
    Pat

Also wether there is any progress on the shown Fokker F-36 would be a nice info

THANKS

Roland

Did Andreas not post a couple of months back saying he was going through a spot of trouble at home so the Drover was going on hold?

ATB
    DaveB

Aussie Pat, understand you desire to get the De havilland collection but I have to say there are two aeroplanes that De havilland will never be remembered fondly for, the DH 86 (which was a real killer and should never have been certified) and the Drover which had a habit of throwing props or blowing up engines and had all the flight characteristics of a brick. Have not found one old timer who has fond memories of them. Anyway in the sim world it does not matter but would explain why they are either completely unknown or overlooked both of them funnily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Did Andreas not post a couple of months back saying he was going through a spot of trouble at home so the Drover was going on hold?

ATB
    DaveB
    I thought I saw something somewhere. Not to worry I was asking because someone else asked me. I can wait.

Cheers
    Pat

Members who have read this thread: 0