Mos editor help

Thread: Mos editor help

Icon5 Mos editor help

So, I know I've actually helped people get their mos editor working, and once had mine working on this system, but a couple hard drive reformats later it no longer works and I've forgotten how to fix it. I've checked the threads and tried to reinstall whatever version of DX9 I need to no avail. I seem to recall there being some sort of a mos editor waker-upper, does anyone have that?

It's Managed DirectX and should be in the Library? There's mention of this in the Knowledge Base sticky, third page.

And if anyone has got this to work in Windows 10 I should be much obliged!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks, I'm operational now! I looked again in the Library, there are two files that claim to fix the mos editor in CFS 3 Other Add-Ons - Utilities. The one uploaded by ndicki is the one that worked for me. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=159&linkid=15294

I didn't see it when I looked before because the other file comes up first. That one didn't work and I didn't know there was another further down the page.

As far as Windows 10 is concerned, I wouldn't touch it with a 39 and a half foot pole. - queue music - you're a mean one, Windows 10...

This jury member is still out over Win 10, in the interests of investigating. Should the MOS editor cooperate it would be a bonus.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Having the mos editor going again, I can see that it really gives us some incredible possibilities. I think the .mos file is one of the last big areas of untapped potential in CFS3. Since I have (at least) two projects that will need a .mos file done, I'll be doing some experimenting. Some things that may be possible:

-automatic unique skins for each aircraft in a flight. Have a standalone of say, a 609 Squadron Spitfire, and its .mos file will draw from a bank of 609 Squadron Spitfire skins and apply them randomly across the members of any given flight.

-layered details in skins. This would make two things possible - 1. weathering details could be randomized similar to the above multi-skin feature; and 2. This could function as a live template. A skilled skinner could create a .dds with all the panel lines and weathering, just like in a psd template, and a .dds with all the paint. The two dds files would be layered in the .mos. This would allow amateur painters to just modify the paint .dds layer without having to paint the finer details of weathering and panel lines. When loaded in the sim, the skin would be complete with all the details. This would allow us to implement the multi-skin feature well without overtaxing our handful of master painters. They produce a couple skins with layered details, and then us unskilled grunts can do the work of painting entire squadrons (not meaning to be disparaging here, I include myself in this category).

-more interesting damage. Our bullet hole textures seriously need to be updated. I'm doing some soon and it will include a bit more variety in the kinds of damage you will see.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    ......-more interesting damage. Our bullet hole textures seriously need to be updated. I'm doing some soon and it will include a bit more variety in the kinds of damage you will see.
    Hi gecko,

I have long felt this needs an upgrade. I think there are big wins to be had here for not too much input.

As an unskilled grunt myself I played around with different sizes for bulletholes a while ago, I also tried to put more strings of holes together in a linear fashion, like you see on old photos of downed aircraft. However I don't think I was too successful. Groundcrew put in some linear lines of holes in their mos files I think. They also added new shared bulletholes to the standard ones, but plenty of room for new stuff .
    I think maybe some of the more elaborate textures need to be referenced as new file names on the mos file. I was trying to replace old stock bulletholes with much bigger format textures with the same stock name.

Findings

I've done some experimenting and came to some mostly disappointing conclusions.

1. The multi skin/weathering variation idea is unworkable. CFS3 allows for nationality specific variations, but not aircraft specific ones as would be needed for this to work as it ought.

2. The quality (resolution) for bullet holes cannot be improved. On an aircraft skin, each pixel is a certain size, 1 sq-in for example. This is the minimum pixel size for any bullet hole added via the .mos file, no matter the resolution of the bullet hole texture. Anything above 32x32 is wasted on a standard 2048x2048 skin for something as small as a bullet hole. This happens to be the size of the stock bullet hole textures.

3. What we can do is improve variety make better textures for larger areas of damage. All our existing bullet holes are good for a painted aluminum skin. Bare aluminum bullet holes would just be holes, without paint damage because there is no paint. Wood bullet holes would show hints of wood splinters as well as paint damage. Doped fabric bullet holes would have straight tears along the weave and be less jagged etc.

4. A good method for painting larger areas of damage would be to paint a layer directly on the skin, save just the layer as a texture and paste it back on the skin in the mos editor in the same place. This prevents wasted resolution and helps you fit the texture to the aircraft.

Blog Entries
    Success in W10!

Thanks, I'm operational now! I looked again in the Library, there are two files that claim to fix the moseditor in CFS 3 Other Add-Ons - Utilities. The one uploaded by ndicki is the one that worked for me. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=159&linkid=15294
    Using Nigels' link and installing that version I have the mos editor working in Windows 10. Thanks for the tip!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Another success with Windows 10!

I've got the MOS Editor working too, yippee clap paws and bounce around. I was going to reinstall XP on another drive for this, but no more!

To get the thing going you need:–

NET Framework 2.0 ... yes, W10 has .NET 4.x built in, but the earlier versions need to be toggled in Turn Windows features on or off

DirectX 9.0c June 2010 version (from Microsoft)

Managed DirectX (in the SOH Library)

After upgrading to W10 before the free offer runs out, I'm delighted to see how many of my old programs still work splendidly!
    Tom

perhaps solutions such as these can be added to the Win 10 Sticky, or a new definitive win 10 sticky.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

After upgrading to W10 before the free offer runs out,
    thanks, after reading your post I went ahead and updated to windows10 also. So far everything is good.

Members who have read this thread: 0