Zeppelins of WW I

Thread: Zeppelins of WW I

Belgium, Somewhere between Lat: 51.083 and Long: 4.350
    Blog Entries

Zeppelins of WW I

Hello dear Flightsimmers.
    The Zeppelins LZ-114 and Dixmude are almost ready to upload. It took me more than five years, due to illness, to create this fabulous airships, which are in fact idedentical. Some historical remarks about their somewhat unknown fates:
    LZ-114/L72 :The X-class zeppelins were the largest airships built during the first world war. Zeppelin Luftschiffbau, the building company, generally numbered its airships with the initials LZ, standing for "Luftschiff Zeppelin", to distinguish these types of fully tubular aluminum-framed airships from the competitor Schütte-Lanz [SL], whose airships were generally wooden composite constructions. The Zeppelins for the Imperial German Army first got the tactical callsigns starting with Z. During World War I they switched to using the LZ numbers. The Zeppelins destined for the Imperial German Navy were labelled from the beginning with the tactical callsigns starting with L. The LZ-114 was the third and final Zeppelin of the X class built for the Imperial German Navy with the tactical callsign L72. It was finished in late 1918, but due to the end of WWI, it's maiden flight was not until 9th February 1920. Shortly thereafter, it was ordered to be transferred to France in the context of war reparations.
    Dixmude: In the context of war reparations the former german airship LZ-114 was handed over to France on 9 July 1920 and renamed Dixmude. The airship was grounded for the next three years, as several necessary modifications had to be done. The original gasbags were changed to more modern ones and an extra nacelle for ten passengers had been installed some meters behind the cockpit gondola. All of these works caused the aforementioned delay. After the it was airworthy again,this famous airship made the time longest flight in the history of aviation. The flight had lasted 118 hours and 41 minutes and covered 7,100 km (4,400 mi). After serveral other successful flights, the Dixmude exploded off the coast of Sicily during a thunderstorm on 21 December 1923, killing all 52 (42 crew and ten passengers) on board.
    Both are already ready for FS 9, whereas I need doing some tests for FSX creating a suitable aircraft.cfg file.
    The flight behaviorsin FS 9 are satisfying, so here are the first screenshots. Greets, Flyandy Andreas Becker

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LZ-114.jpg   Dixmude - L72.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Those are some nice looking and historic airships Andreas. A very interesting project.

They look great!

I hope you're over your illness!

Blog Entries

historic airships

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Those are some nice looking and historic airships Andreas. A very interesting project.

Hello Hurricane91

Thanks for you positive reaction.

As I'm always looking for somewhat special, these airships ( actually, there's no a lot to find in all FS download sections ) took my interest already some years ago.
    Also because all the birds of the mainstream have been almost carried out. And 'cos the mainstream has never been my favorite...I've concentrated myself on the zeppelins.

Best regards,

Flyandy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    They look great!

I hope you're over your illness!
    Hello Mick,

Thanks for you positive reaction.

I'm not a prolific designer, but as I'm always looking for somewhat special to build, I decided to buid the two airships. Btw, there are not a lot airships available on the FS downlod sextions.

Thanks for your attention concerning my disease. I't s getting better.

Best regards,

Flyandy

Flyandy,

Very nice work, Sir. I'm looking forward to adding it to my FS9 and GW3 installs. Thanks
    for the history lesson, in your post. If you don't already have it, there is a very nice FS9 add
    on scenery at Flightsim for the Zeppelin base at Tondern, by Alexander Belov. There's plenty
    of room to maneuver a Zep around, at Tondern.

Regards and Congrats on your project,

AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"

Blog Entries

It's uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by AER_DaddyO View Post
    Flyandy,

Very nice work, Sir. I'm looking forward to adding it to my FS9 and GW3 installs. Thanks
    for the history lesson, in your post. If you don't already have it, there is a very nice FS9 add
    on scenery at Flightsim for the Zeppelin base at Tondern, by Alexander Belov. There's plenty
    of room to maneuver a Zep around, at Tondern.

Regards and Congrats on your project,

AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"

Hello AER_DaddyO

Tonight, I will upload the Zeps to the Warbird's library.
    I know the beautiful Zeppelin bases and I also use thel.......unfortunately the X-class fits only in the big hangar in Tondern

Greatings from Belgium,

Flyandy Andreas Becker

Members +
    The FSX version looks great. I'm looking forward for the FS9 version.

Blog Entries

FSX version + FS9 version

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    The FSX version looks great. I'm looking forward for the FS9 version.
    Hello zswobbie1.

Thanks for your reply.

The FSX version is fully compatible with FS9. They're identical. If you're having problems with e.g. the blurred props ('cos they're made for FSX, but also work in FS9), pls let me know.
    I could send you the original FS9-ones.

Greets from Belgium

Andy

Members +
    Many thanks. It will be a great addition to my 'Golden Wings'

Regards from cape Town, South Africa
    Robin

Lightbulb

Very good book about Zeppelin

Zeppelin Over Suffolk tells the remarkable story of the destruction of a German airship over East Anglia in 1917. The drama is set against the backdrop of Germany's aerial bombing campaign on Britain in the First World War, using a terrifying new weapon, the Zeppelin. The course of the raid on that summer night is reconstructed in vivid detail, moment by moment - the Zeppelin's take off from northern Germany, its slow journey across the North Sea, the bombing run along the East Anglian coast, the pursuit by British fighters high over Suffolk, and the airship's final moments as it fell to earth in flames near the village of Theberton in the early morning of 17 June 1917. Mark Mower gives a gripping account of a pivotal episode in the pioneering days of the air war over England.

Blog Entries

ZEPPELIN OVER SUFFOLK: The Final Raid of L48

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    Very good book about Zeppelin

Zeppelin Over Suffolk tells the remarkable story of the destruction of a German airship over East Anglia in 1917. The drama is set against the backdrop of Germany's aerial bombing campaign on Britain in the First World War, using a terrifying new weapon, the Zeppelin. The course of the raid on that summer night is reconstructed in vivid detail, moment by moment - the Zeppelin's take off from northern Germany, its slow journey across the North Sea, the bombing run along the East Anglian coast, the pursuit by British fighters high over Suffolk, and the airship's final moments as it fell to earth in flames near the village of Theberton in the early morning of 17 June 1917. Mark Mower gives a gripping account of a pivotal episode in the pioneering days of the air war over England.
    Thanks for the hint...I will try to buy this book.

Greets from Belgium

Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0