JF DeHavilland Dove & Devon Released
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JF DeHavilland Dove & Devon Released

Blog Entries

JF DeHavilland Dove & Devon Released

Thought I'd start an appreciation page for the new Dove & Devon. I waited a long time for this release and must say it was well worth it. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'll start out the screenshots with this single shot of a lovely lady.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Where is it out? its not on their site :S

ME WANT

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Dang nice screen Gordon

It's a wonderful little aircraft, and fun to fly. I was a bit disappointed that the JF textures and skins are not the same as they previewed last fall. I wonder what happened. Anyway, the VC is very nice and the sound set is good.

- d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Waited for so long for this to go with the Heron but alas health issues come first.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Well done Gordon and Roger giving this Lovey Dovey a fresh sticky !

Concerned me particularly because i have a special place in my heart for the Dove. Took me to the skies for the first time ever when my father presented me with a ticket for a sightseeing flight with a Martin's Air Charter Dove for my 10th birthday. Unforgettable !!

Because of that it was the very first FS aircraft model i created too. (MS Aircraft & Scenery Designer, 500 poly's, FS5... ;-)

Thank you so much AH for having chosen the Dove/Devon as a subject and developing it in such an excellent way !

And thanks too for the included MAC livery !

Former RAF XJ350 was acquired by the dutch aviation museum Aviodome and painted up as MAC PH-MAD. Most of its caged life it hung from the ceiling of the museum. When the museum was moved to Lelystad it could be seen on the platform again:

(photo courtesy of Fred de Ruiter/R.Leeuw)

The real PH-MAD ended up in Cameroon as TJ-ACE. A great story by one of its pilots is here (resembles quite a bit the fantastic ITV series 'Airline' in which Roy Marsden stars as former RAF Flt.Lt Jack Ruskin trying to setup and airline) : http://www.ruudleeuw.com/others-beunk-phmad.htm

@ Repainters : looking for a nice subject ? The included Devon VP981 used to belong to the BBMF flying the maintenance crew to all the display locations before she was replaced by a C-47 (what else...;-). She would often do a little display herself too. During that service she looked like this :

A better detailed photo of the livery can be seen here:

http://www.airteamimages.com/de-havi...ce_173149.html

Btw, if you want to take it all the way, fly in the real VP981 alongside a Spitfire ! :

http://aerolegends.co.uk/spitfire/fl...ide-a-spitfire

Thanks a million again AH/JF ! A virtual dream come true ! :-))

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    It's a wonderful little aircraft, and fun to fly. I was a bit disappointed that the JF textures and skins are not the same as they previewed last fall. I wonder what happened. Anyway, the VC is very nice and the sound set is good.
    That is the very aircraft parked in Wigram's Air Force World Museum, I grew up with these Devon's flying around right up to the early 1980s , the sound set is smack on the nose, it is a superb aircraft, getting into the real cockpit is a real squeeze, one thing this has been giving, that feeling ... nice thing I got a flight in one during one getting a twin engine rating ... I was just a sack of spuds but it was a hell off fun two hours.

Strange thing...I tried flying the Devon out of Masirah Island, Oman in P3D v2 (I'm partial to it for personal reasons-- Masirah, that is, not the Devon...)...and it was like a slideshow-- 5-7 fps...don't know what the deal was. I didn't see that problem anywhere else in the world with the Devon.

Other than that, a neat little airplane-- for those into "offbeat", one-off British types...

Kent

In P3Dv31 with FTX Global and Vector: no problems here. Steady 30-31 fps (locked 31).
    Anneke

Great Pack
    6 Models
    3 VC's (including a somewhat modern)
    Fine sound
    Fine Paints

Reminds me a litttle of LH Piper Pacer with all the little goodies

Thanks JF and AH Very Happy with this purchase

Anyone with the talent that I don't have, thinking of doing some repaints?
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Have a go Roger and you'll find neither the model nor paintkit are as 'friendly' as they could be! Peter Watkins has said he'll do a few so after I've finished the one I'm doing.. I'll be putting my paints to bed in anticipation of his work

ATB
    DaveB

Any of you talented repainters considering Apache Airlines?

I'm currently on this one (early WIP status):

Here's the real thing:
    http://www.gatwickaviationsociety.or...4086%A0&pcopy=

Still lots of fiddling needed on the nose section...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brilliant Piece of Work Markus

I'm currently on this one (early WIP status):
    Beautiful!!

Thanks Markus
    SYSTEM :

Some more teasing...

Thanks, guys!

Dave is absolutely right about the "not-so-friendlyness" of the texture mapping and the paintkit provided - although I could recall some models which drove me "more crazy" than this one (Aerosoft's Twotter, just to name one...).

After ironing out the worst distorsions around the Dove's nose (ornithologists may excuse this inappropriate designation), I took her for a short hop across the Irish Sea:

Escaping the harsh Welsh winter, she's sitting at EGCK Caernarfon (scenery by SIM720).

Boarding is completed, the mighty Gypsy Queens still need some time to warm up.

Unlike her more lumbering bigger sister Heron, taking her upwards is not fighting for each foot in altitude...

To be continued...
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After arrival at EGPK Prestwick (UK2000).

More Reference:
    http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1416286/

I think she's ready to get packed...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"mighty Gypsy Queens"??????

Would not pull the dick off a Chocolate Mouse on a warm day.
    Markus, that was my late Father's favourite description of that entire De Havilland 'family' of engines.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Nice job Markus

ATB
    DaveB

Well, those Gypsy Queens don't turn her into a speedy podracer, on the other hand this Dove is nimble enough to negotiate through some nasty 24 kn crosswinds while nailing her down to EGEO Oban (by SIM720) at the rough Scottish western coast, applying some advanced Chinese landing techniques ("wan wing daun"):

Note: According to the refernce pic mentioned above, the Dove's rump (don't know how to name this rear fuselage part below the rudder) now has received a grey shade instead of white.

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Markus..

I've a feeling the spinners should be blue on this paint mate but I'll check

EDIT: Yup.. definitely blue
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks for this hint, Dave!

Nice coincidence, since I've found another reference image of AMYO myself, taken at my 'home port' Berlin-Tempelhof, clearly confirming the blue spinners:
    http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1242650/

Seems like AMYO with the slightly bigger "MORTON" lettering didn't sport the additional smaller letters just above the pax exit, although the Heron G-ASVA did:
    http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1158501/

So I have to remove them, although it's a shame, since the large fuselage textures allow such fine letters without blurring.

In exchange, the upper wing registration letters, as seen here
    http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1244717/ (note the earlier small "MORTON" lettering, fitting between the cabin vents)
    had to be added:

Any further suggestions welcome - as always...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 9