One for the Dove repainters

Thread: One for the Dove repainters

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chet twowolves View Post
    Just checking to see If there is any in repaints being done. For the Dove&Devon.
    I am working on an Australian registered Dove and have several more planned.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Can anyone give me a link to the JF forum that works please. The link I have does not seem to be working.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

It appears to be down Pat. Just tried and got an HTTP 500 error.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave but I am still getting the HTTP 500 error.

Cheers
    Pat

Strange. Just tried it again & it's fine for me.

Oo-er.. still not working for me whichever way I try to get in.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Thanks Dave but I am still getting the HTTP 500 error.
    I followed the link Dave posted, It worked for me ..... One forum I have not signing up, book marked now , have swiz later on.

Problem has been partially solved. I am using W10 as my OS and I have the choice of using Microsoft Edge or Internet Exploder. Using Explorer I cannot get the JF Forum but using Edge I can.

I haven't completely moved to using Edge yet as it is taking a lot of getting used to especially in the way things are bookmarked. Anyway I can now access the JF forum. Thanks for the help.

Cheers
    Pat

One for the repainters. I am having a problem lining up the forward fuselage window line textures and the textures on the engine nacelles. At the moment I cannot get the left and right textures to line up.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't have much more hair to pull out.

Cheers
    Pat

I've only tried a re-hash of the original RN paint and found that testing enough Pat. Anything that goes onto the rudder map (why the hell have the rudder on a different map to the fin????) has to be resized to match the fin. So.. if you have a blue line (for example) bearing text which runs horizontally across the fin and rudder as in this pic..

... the same text and blue line used on the fin copied to the rudder map had to be resized (made smaller) to match the fin. Believe me when I say that folk who do repaints for the Dove really want to do them!!
    ATB
    DaveB

Yeah Dave I am beginning to think the same way.

Cheers
    Pat

Yeah Dave I am beginning to think the same way.
    This might help you regarding the fin/rudder when you get to it Pat..

The difference in scale is by factor 1,118, so it's quite smart to paint the ("larger") fin first and resize its texture by factor 0,894 to apply to the rudder.
    Considering the mapping, there obviously was no need to create those parts in different scales, as well as the slight shift in height (5 px) between both rudder sides doesn't make any sense at all - apart from annoying repainters...
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    This might help you regarding the fin/rudder when you get to it Pat..

The difference in scale is by factor 1,118, so it's quite smart to paint the ("larger") fin first and resize its texture by factor 0,894 to apply to the rudder.
    Considering the mapping, there obviously was no need to create those parts in different scales, as well as the slight shift in height (5 px) between both rudder sides doesn't make any sense at all - apart from annoying repainters...

ATB
    DaveB
    It is that 5 px that is causing me all the grief.

Cheers
    Pat

Rather than hijack the Dove release thread I have started this thread to solve our problems.

Cheers
    Pat

The reason for the separate texture for the rudder is that the rudder is fabric and has a completely different material setting to the fin, which is metal.

Problem has been partially solved. I am using W10 as my OS and I have the choice of using Microsoft Edge or Internet Exploder. Using Explorer I cannot get the JF Forum but using Edge I can.

I haven't completely moved to using Edge yet as it is taking a lot of getting used to especially in the way things are bookmarked. Anyway I can now access the JF forum. Thanks for the help.
    Ah....good old 10.....choices of Exploder or Edge....

Probably why I set Chrome to my default browser....

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The reason for the separate texture for the rudder is that the rudder is fabric and has a completely different material setting to the fin, which is metal.
    There you have it.....the reason for the different sizes.....different materials expand differently in the heat....

See? Painters getting hot and bothered are their own worst enemy....

Oh no, the reason for the different sizes is just that we wanted to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Taken as read mate but in all honesty.. I don't think the end result justified the effort (though I appreciate the effort). From almost every angle on the 'sun side'.. the rudder is in your face.. lit up like it doesn't belong. No such probs on the shaded side. I don't have 'aircraft cast shadows on itself' selected as this produces some unwanted effects but I'll try it to see if this deadens it a little.

All problems aside (and there are quite a few).. I'm still a huge fan
    ATB
    DaveB

The new service pack is almost complete and we have been looking at new normal maps. Ultimate decision on their use or not is JF's not ours.

Members who have read this thread: 0