The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!! - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!!

Great job... love this bird!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

The Mallard is here, The Mallard is here!!

Been quiet here for a bit so...N26DF Antilles Air Boats was uploaded to the library this evening. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N26DF-2.jpg   N26DF-5.jpg   N26DF-6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wellis View Post
    Been quiet here for a bit so...N26DF Antilles Air Boats was uploaded to the library this evening. Enjoy!
    Hi Wellis,
    very nice repaint!!!
    How about a Chalk's Mallard next?

Firekitten : Any news on the paint kit ?

Quote Originally Posted by gribouil View Post
    Hi Wellis,
    very nice repaint!!!
    How about a Chalk's Mallard next?

Thanks. I'll see what I can do, been thinking about a Chalks though I am in the middle of a couple of others I'd like to finish first...

Thanks. I'll see what I can do, been thinking about a Chalks though I am in the middle of a couple of others I'd like to finish first...
    Ron Attwood did a Chalk's - a few pages back ... Doesn't mean we can't have more!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Ron Attwood did a Chalk's - a few pages back ... Doesn't mean we can't have more!
    Yeah, I'd been holding off on the Chalk's as there have been a number of comments on Chalk's regarding some WIPs and did not want to step on toes or duplicate existing efforts. But after perusing the net for a while this a.m. I found a number of "variations on a theme" in Chalk's different radials at various stages in their operational histories...

Another Mallard for your consideration: N1888T 1978 uploaded to the library this evening. Next up, N1888T current.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N1888T-1978-1.jpg   N1888T-1978-6.jpg   N1888T-1978-4.jpg   0878301.jpg  

Another Mallard for your consideration: N1888T 1978 uploaded to the library this evening. Next up, N1888T current.
    Excellent work Sir! Love the paint schemes and colors. The blue scheme really improves how the cowlings appear as well. Thank you for all the great works you have contributed for this aircraft in FS9 and FSX.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Excellent work Sir! Love the paint schemes and colors. The blue scheme really improves how the cowlings appear as well. Thank you for all the great works you have contributed for this aircraft in FS9 and FSX.
    The pleasure is all mine sir..it is a "sweet" model in all its variations! (honestly, I am fortunate enough to possess some fairly pricey payware models and have not had near as much fun as I have with this one!)

So very glad to finally have this addition to the Grumman seaplanes in FSX. It shows lots of talent went into making this the best of the Best.

The only thing I find puzzling is there appears to not be a white tail light on the back of the rudder. I am not having any problems in nav lighting as covered in the manual with any of the other nav lights.

Is the tail light not modeled?

Russ

Larry, you have an email from me about a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by bytes2001 View Post
    So very glad to finally have this addition to the Grumman seaplanes in FSX. It shows lots of talent went into making this the best of the Best.

The only thing I find puzzling is there appears to not be a white tail light on the back of the rudder. I am not having any problems in nav lighting as covered in the manual with any of the other nav lights.

Is the tail light not modeled?

Russ

Larry, you have an email from me about a donation.
    Hi Russ,

I did not model a Nav light on the classic version built in 1949 and it looks like LDR did not add one either during the native build.

EDIT: But its a good thing for me to consider for the more modern versions in business class.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Good Day, Milton, and thanks for your reply.

I found the reference to the tail nav red over white lights on page 174, 175 (actual printed page numbers, not PDF page numbers) of the 1951 Service Manual per attached.

Just seems that this G-73 is so close to being all FSX will allow a sim aircraft to be that modeling the tail nav lights would take it over the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aft-Nav-Lights-G-73-Serv-Manual.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bytes2001 View Post
    Good Day, Milton, and thanks for your reply.

I found the reference to the tail nav red over white lights on page 174, 175 (actual printed page numbers, not PDF page numbers) of the 1951 Service Manual per attached.

Just seems that this G-73 is so close to being all FSX will allow a sim aircraft to be that modeling the tail nav lights would take it over the top.
    Indeed, I have that chart. Red and white lights.

Interesting thing is that is the only chart or reference I can find in the service manual for those lights. I have 3 pictures, that if you zoom in tight and know what to look for, you can barely make them out so no wonder it was an oversight.

They will be added to the FS9 models we are working on now.

Obviously, not all the aircraft have them in my pictures so they must be optional.

I cannot change the FSX native version as that model is in the hands of LDR.

Thanks for your interest, and the heads-up. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Just uploaded a follow on to the previous iteration of N1888T to the library.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N1888T-2013-4.jpg   N1888T-2013-7.jpg   N1888T-2013-8.jpg   N1888T-2013-2.jpg  

Just uploaded this latest to the library...Antilles Air Boats in red...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N7338-1.jpg   N7338-2.jpg   N7338-3.jpg  

Mallard Flap Texture

Anyone else have this problem while painting the mallard? Only happens on the right flap. Top and bottom of the flap both have the same issue. I've noticed all of the textures included in the package have this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

Mallard Flap Texture

foofighter - I have painted a number of these and have not encountered that problem, although those that have had paint on the flaps have been "broad brush" covering the entire wing: flaps, ailerons and all. I have recently been focusing on the upcoming Turbo for FS9-FSX Port and the released Classic and Modern port for both those sims. But I'll have a go at the native paint kit and see if I can replicate this result and let you know.

But I'll have a go at the native paint kit and see if I can replicate this result and let you know.
    I'm going for a Mallard version of the Cutter's Goose so it's not representing a real-life Mallard paint. But I haven't seen any other repaints with stripes across the wings and flaps like mine, nor have I seen anyone else find this error. Thanks for taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter7 View Post
    I'm going for a Mallard version of the Cutter's Goose so it's not representing a real-life Mallard paint. But I haven't seen any other repaints with stripes across the wings and flaps like mine, nor have I seen anyone else find this error. Thanks for taking a look.
    Hello again foofighter: well I noodled around with this and I believe your first impression was correct. It does look like it is a model problem. I ended up with the same result as yourself. I have included a couple of screen caps showing both lower and upper surfaces of the right flap and you can see, what looks like to me anyway, that the model displays several consecutive flap surfaces at once. It is less obvious on the upper surface than the bottom surface. This circumstance is not observable on the template included with the release and to my knowledge a "formal" paint kit in .psd or other format has not been released. I had not noticed it before because I was covering the entire wing, so the multiple surfaces all looked the same and did not conflict with my desired results. As you have discovered, when you only paint part of the flap you end up with stripes. Zoom in on the attached images and you'll see what I mean. I do not know what the current plans are for the native version, but you could try the new Port-over release in the interim. It is a nice scheme you are working on. BTW, the FSX Port-over works nicely in P3D as well, with the minor exception of illuminating landing lights. Might tide-you-over while waiting on any updates that might come along for the native. Mind you I am not advocating one over the other, they are two different and superb models with the same pedigree and I use both extensively.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flap_issue.jpg   Flap_issue-2.jpg  

That question may have been asked before but can we expect a G-73 mallard Turbine at anytime in the future
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hello again foofighter: well I noodled around with this and I believe your first impression was correct.
    I guess I'll just have to leave the flaps white for now. Thank you for giving it a second look! I have tried Milton's port-over Mallard and it is good but I do prefer the LDR one even though it currently only offers 1 interior type unlike Milton's. I'll post some shots of the "finished" paint when I'm done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter7 View Post
    I guess I'll just have to leave the flaps white for now. Thank you for giving it a second look! I have tried Milton's port-over Mallard and it is good but I do prefer the LDR one even though it currently only offers 1 interior type unlike Milton's. I'll post some shots of the "finished" paint when I'm done with it.
    I'll look forward to it. And yes the LDR Native is an awesome model!

Cutter's Mallard

Inspired by Bill Lyon's Cutter's Goose package. I'm surprised no one thought of doing this one yet. Pretty much finished except for the words on the nose. Not sure if I'll upload it or not
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled2.jpg   Untitled1.jpg  

If you don't upload it, I can't fly it. So you're going to have to upload it.

Now if we could get the islands that came with Bill's release into FSX...

Members who have read this thread: 0