Piper Aztec Steams ahead
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Piper Aztec Steams ahead

Piper Aztec Steams ahead

We are delighted to announce that the Piper Aztec P-23-250-D will now be available ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY on FSX/Steam Edition.
    This is not a decision we have made lightly and is the right business decision for us. We sincerely believe that Dovetail Games have a firm grip on the future for FSX and with the future plans in store, they really do represent the way forward for our hobby. Therefore we think it appropriate to get behind the guys and support the tremendous effort they are making. We very much hope you will agree. Keep an eye on our site and at www.fsxinsider.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.jpg   P.jpg   O.jpg   D.jpg  

Understand the decision, but disappointed. As a boxed edition/P3d user, It won't be available to me to fly, but I see the reasoning behind it, and working with Iris on stuff for and with Dovetail, I totally get your logic Bazzar, just personally sad I won't get to fly her

Blog Entries
    What Firekitten said...gonna be a lot of disappointment. Fortunately one of my drives has FSX/STEAM.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Baz, I see ORBX have released Friday Harbour through Steam, but that exclusivity extends for only 3 months and then is available to the real, original FsXers.

Is it correct that those not using the Steam version of FsX will never see the Aztec?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

"Ouch"...Just lost a lot of customers...

Steam is really just a delivery process. I don't understand why people think that something is denied them just because it is delivered in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Steam is really just a delivery process. I don't understand why people think that something is denied them just because it is delivered in a different way.
    Very cryptic Baz. Are you suggesting that the installer can be fooled for an FsX Gold install?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Not at all Roger. Let's look at it in reverse. Buy a B17F from us or one of our vendors and let's say you use Steam. What you gonna do...?

Well...Will it work in FSX or not? I don't have FSX:SE...

I have FSX boxed, and I have FSX:SE, (both for development testing but I fly P3D3 due to its performance and graphical improvements. So... I'd have to buy this on steam, as DLC through steam, and go break the files out to move it to P3d... which contravenes all sorts of EULA clauses.

Disappointed, because I'd far rather support you guys than Alabeo... especially as your version is almost CERTAIN to perform a heck of a lot better in the sim.

As I said, I understand the business decision, it makes sense, it reaches more people, and a good deal with dovetail is surely going to bring more business to you guys. My grumbles are as a customer only.

Will this apply to your other incoming projects too or is this a unique case?

You will need Steam Edition to be able to download the Aztec.

Firekitten, this ONLY applies, for now, to the Aztec. All our productions are subject to negotiation, and as you know, apart from releasing ourselves, we build for a variety of publishers.

The point of all of this guys is quite simple. Currently, Dovetail is the FSX franchise's best chance for development and a secure future for years to come. That, we believe is worth supporting. If you disagree, that's fine too. As we say, we have not taken this decision lightly.

You will need Steam Edition to be able to download the Aztec.

Firekitten, this ONLY applies, for now, to the Aztec. All our productions are subject to negotiation, and as you know, apart from releasing ourselves, we build for a variety of publishers.
    Ok that's good to know Bazzar, I love the work you guys do.

(excited for your dove!)

Oh well, no Aztec in my future. Good luck just the same.

Thankyou, it is certainly going to be an interesting year...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Don't overlook the forthcoming from Alabeo.

Absolutely. I am sure it will be excellent. BTW if we had made an announcement that the Aztec was being withdrawn for some other, say personal, reason what would people have said then?

I'd rather have AH's Aztec than Alabeo... better price, performance and quality in my book. Plus its actually paintable rather than being a pelt mapped mess like recent Alabeo planes.

I actually love the direction AH are taking recently... more interesting exciting aircraft rather than another cessna/boeing clone job...

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    +1

plus 10 other characters

Steam scales across currencies much better than anything else you can throw in the mix. In other words, it has prices that make sense across the world, no matter what country you're on, not mentioning all other Steam platform advantages. I understand and support your decision and will probaby get myself a copy =)

Very interesting development.

There are great upsides to Steam as a content delivery platform. For example, I bought a good amount of TS2016 content in the recent sale, and the install of that content took literally *seconds* of my time, and perhaps 30 minutes worth of download time. Updates to my embarrassingly large Steam library happen with no interaction on my desktop, and whenever I like on my laptop. I have several games that even save to the cloud, letting me play the same save game on my desktop or my laptop.

But even as a heavy Steam user, and one with FSX:SE installed and happily in use for the last several months, I have yet to purchase a single FSX addon through Steam.

I honestly don't know why that is, but it's never interested me in the slightest to do so.

Perhaps there's some sort of mental block there - I'm used to storing and dealing with all of my FSX addons in a certain way, very hands on, very picky, and the thought of relinquishing control to Steam doesn't sit well with me. And yet, I'm more than willing to let Orbx irreversibly muck about in there...

Anyhow... I hope it works out for you. There may well be an Aztec in my future.
    Jim Stewart

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Day and night shots of the instrument panel and a shot enroute from YMAY to YSCB. More to come later tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-11-19_17-28-7-54.jpg   2015-11-19_17-28-29-753.jpg   Night Instruments.jpg  

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Not at all Roger. Let's look at it in reverse. Buy a B17F from us or one of our vendors and let's say you use Steam. What you gonna do...?
    I can install any aircraft, from any vendor (including FS9 port-overs) into my FSX Steam Edition without any difficulties. In fact non of my add-ons have been purchased through Steam and all work fine.
    Larry

I have always held the very firm belief that if you buy something, you own it. What you then do with it in the privacy of your own home is entirely your affair. And perish the day that ever changes.

So...ALL of my FSX aircraft are installed and work in P3D...are you saying it WILL NOT work in P3D? I respect your decision, but I don't agree that dovetail is the future for our hobby. P3Dv3 is lightyears ahead of FSX...especially v3. And I'm not talking about the avatars. What's under the hood is truly what is amazing. Plus we're talking about the development of the sim by one of the world's largest defense contractors...their revenue stream is alternate and their development does not coincide with retail sales. So they make the best decisions for the sim based on real world needs, not what they hope will make more money. It's really a win win for the hobbyist turned "student" of aeronautics. Anyway. Hopefully it will work...I do like to support the devs around here! We are a small group....further fracturing of it seems counter intuitive. Looks fantastic all the same!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 0