General discussion of different aircraft - AH-1

Thread: General discussion of different aircraft - AH-1

SOH-CM-2023

General discussion of different aircraft - AH-1

Hi All,

I was just thinking about how on some aircraft we have multiple sources or versions available to us. I wanted to get peoples opinion or find gems that maybe we all haven't heard of. The aircraft that brought up this train of thought was the AH-1 Cobra. Now I willing to lump all the different versions including the Viper (AH-1Z) into the class of aircraft. I saw that Area-51 has a commercial version of the AH-1S or P (Although they use a J for the covershot) I have been flying Kim BoHyun's Cobra and there seems to be alot of repaints for it. I find it a pretty good aircraft and a good representation (I got a chance to fly in one a million years ago so myt memory is pretty hazy on it) But Kim's seems to feel right. What do you all think?

Sean

I'm not a big fan of helicopters, but I do fly Alphasim's AH-1 Cobra from time to time. I think the FDE is as realistic, (albeit a bit sluggish) as flight sim will let it be... given limitations.

In the movie "Blackhawk Down" I remember seeing the MD-500's ("Little Birds") that accompanied the UH-60's. Those pilots really whipped those little heli's around and seemed to be able to stop and hover on a dime. I thought to myself, "I wish I could fly my MD-500 in flight sim like that". I tried with Nemeth's MD-500, Piglet's superb OH-6 and Alphasim's freeware MD-500 but ended up taking much more time to slow the aircraft down and perform a successful hover, than the real life Little Bird Drivers did in the movie.

I found several very nice repaints for that Alphasim Cobra by Yago9, and that helicopter is still active in my copy of FS9.

If you want to spend a little $, and have a different kind of FS experience in a helicopter... grab the Virtavia/Alphasim Ka-50 Black Shark. That helicopter has a vey unique FDE. Once you get off the ground vertically and get some airspeed, she handles a lot like a plane and will cook along smartly at nearly 200+ MPH indicated. Easily perform rolls, climb, turn and bank like a fixed wing aircraft. Here again... slowing the helicopter down after all those heroics takes patience and with your realism settings all the way to the right in FS, landing is an art form.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

One that I have been working on for FS9....
    WIP paint shots....

Members who have read this thread: 0