P3D autogen problem - maybe

Thread: P3D autogen problem - maybe

P3D autogen problem - maybe

I am turning my focus to P3D rather than FSX now. But I have en issue with the autogen and it really bothers me. As in the screenshots below, the autogen fill in nicely in the immediate surroundings, but further out its pretty barren, I just think my FSX does a better job at that. I have turned up autogen to max, but it makes no difference. Is there something I am missing?

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

No, all is fine. In P3D, the autogen appears smoothly, but the drawing distance is much reduced.
    That limitation is especially visible when using the external views with high zoom values, like 1.0x.
    In the VC, when flying with zoom 0.70 or 0.80 (or 0.6-0.7 with videview off) it's a bit less noticeable.

What you can try is to alter the parameter pop_free_autogen. This will disable the smooth P3D-ish appearance of the autogen to revert it back to the FSX "pops too late" style.
    I did that for a short while... but quickly reversed to the normal P3D style, which is much more pleasant to the eye, despite the distance.

Okay thanks. Does P3D v3 change anything in this case?

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

No it doesn't.
    And you also get the limitation of the LOD_RADIUS, which is also a big problem for the scenery at middle/long distance...
    Fortunately, there are plenty of plus sides to compensate for this.

What are the limitations of the LOD_RADIUS?

I actually find that FSX-SE present photoscenery and autogen better than P3D.

No, the autogen is definitely better in P3D. Even though the drawing distance is shorter, it appears smoothy and not by popping packets. The result in low and slow flights over dense areas (OrbX) is much better than what I was used to in FSX.

The LOD_RADIUS is limited to 6.5, and for photoscenery this is clearly not enough. On that aspect, FSX offers a better rendition of the distant meshes and ground textures...
    However, with the same computer, on FSX I could fly at maximum 250 knots before seeing the ground textures become blurry.
    In P3D, I can almost reach Mach1 before it starts happening...

I am not on my pc computer right now, but as far as I remember, I changed the LOD_RADIUS in P3D2.5 to 8.00, but maybe that didnt change anything? I will have a look later.
    I get your point with the autogen pop-up versus smooth show-up.

If getting photoscenery blurries, deleting the tower view in cameras.cfg helps a LOT.

Yes, in P3Dv2, the LOD was internally limited to 6.5, even if you set it to higher values in the CFG.
    The same applies for the V3 :/

Ahhh, thats why I prefer FSX-SE for photoscenery.
    Why is it like that, basically it sucks if you are into photoscenery.

I wouldn't say *it sucks*, it would be a bit exagerated.
    LOD_RADIUS at 6.5 is not the best, but it's not that bad at all.
    And the better anti-blurries performance makes it even more enjoyable.

After deleting the tower view, I dont have any blurs and IMHO, the fixed LOD_RADIUS actually sucks and I dont understand why it has to be like that. I clearly find it to be a step in the wrong direction.

I fly mainly Photoscenery, so at this moment FSX-SE is my number 1 sim. P3D2.5 is for Orbx Alaska stuff (Misty Moorings) which I dont fly so much at this moment

I'm running P3Dv3 with an ATI 5850 and the autogen looks fantastic! Much better than FSX.

Example with ASNext P3D weather with default clouds and Orbx Global scenery.

This is France VFR Corsica HD photo scenery. LOD 6.5 and mountain in the distance does have some definition and would expect seeing this in real life.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members who have read this thread: 0