couple things...

Thread: couple things...

couple things...

Is there a way to add ADF to carriers? So can locate them that way if not using the TD waypoints. Hopefully so, will add extra challenge to future carrier missions.

I have a mod called "TL_crew. hw do you add static planes and crew to carrier decks? The readme did not explain how.
    Third, how do I get this gauge to work in other planes? great fuel gauge esp for earlier planes such as TBD.Placed it on panel but does not read out fuel in selected tanks.Any fixes?

p47d!Fuel ia the gauge

The CFS1 gauges are programed to only look at tanks that they came with in CFS1. So you can't make the CFS1 P-47d gauge read the Left Main tank. It will only read and display Center tank 1 and Center tank 2.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Dasuto247: I don't thin there is a way to add ADF to a moving object like a carrier. What I do is calculate where the carrier will be after I fly to the target (waypoint arrival time), carry out the mission (10-20 minutes in the target area) I set a return speed and plot my and the carrier's courses and waypoints to intersect. Then fly on that heading at that speed. ADF would be nice but...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

You could add it to a stationary scenery bgl. You would loose the wires for landing. Which would defeat the purpose. Unless someone knows of a work around for that.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Hi dasuto247,

This is the way to do it.
    It will take some practice to get things just the way you want them.

Carrier Multi-Aircraft Take Off Tutorial. This process will place a virtual runway over the flight deck of the aircraft carrier, and allow wingmen or groups of AI aircraft, to populate or take off, from the carrier deck.

To make things easy, I created a new airbase in the airbase.dat file, (located in the CFS2\INFO folder.).

1. Create entry in airbase.dat file.

(You can have more then one just increase xxx numbers and change name)

Here is Data for the Airbases.dat file. Fill in the XXX with the next numbers in sequence and do not delete the little square eof marker.

[runway.xxx]
    id=xxxx
    name=Fake runway one
    heading=40
    allegiance=0
    units_across=1
    base_lat=N6* 8.70'
    base_lon=E135* 4.68'
    base_alt=+64
    takeoff_start_pos=28,0
    takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
    landing_start_pos=5000,350
    landing_touchdown_pos=5,0
    landing_stop_pos=150,0

2. Build mission with yourself taking off from carrier.(Start with two wingmen)
    (Make sure starting speed of carrier is zero.)

(Try to make the starting heading of the Carrier either North, South, East ,or West.)

This will make things easier when you decide to advance from here.

3. Fly mission, PAUSE, then Hit Shift-Z, and write down starting info. IE- lat, lon, alt, heading.

4. Exit mission Builder.

5. Edit the new "Fake runway one" airbase entry that you placed in the "airbase.dat" file. (use data from step 3)

6. Restart mission builder and load mission.

7. Change takeoff from "Name of Carrier" to "Fake runway one" airbase.

8. Save and Exit

9. In order to let others fly your mission hand editing of the mission file is necessary.
    Open the mission file and find the airbase information for the "Fake Runway" you created. Change the runway id number to one of the stock airbases. Now you will not need the "Fake runway" information that you placed in the Airbases.dat file.

Note: If the carrier speed is greater than 20 knts. your wingmen will start their takeoff roll as soon as you start your engine.
    The roll of the ship will make the static AC fall off in time.
    You should open the "Aircraft conf " file of the Static AC and increase the weight to 50,000 or 60,000 pounds. This will keep the Static AC on the deck.

B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Dasuto247: I don't thin there is a way to add ADF to a moving object like a carrier. What I do is calculate where the carrier will be after I fly to the target (waypoint arrival time), carry out the mission (10-20 minutes in the target area) I set a return speed and plot my and the carrier's courses and waypoints to intersect. Then fly on that heading at that speed. ADF would be nice but...

That's how I do it now and it works fine, just thought adf would be nice if possible.

Without the convenient use of the waypoint warping in missions, we gotta do it the old fashioned way with dead reckoning as Shadow Wolf suggested. Use the mission builder as a pre-mission briefing map cheat before every carrier launch mission. Since we can determine the last waypoint given to the "mother" ship in mission builder, we know where on the globe it will be heading during the execution of the mission. Plot a course from the target area to a location a 10-20 miles beyond mother's last waypoint. When that location is reached, chances are the player will be ahead of mother so at this point we fly a lead–collision vector that will take us to mother's last waypoint.

P.S. TL's instructions combined into one readme and attached...
    Attached Files Attached Files

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Oh finding carrier is not a problem, esp with waypoints and the TD or even my missions without usable wp's on the TD, where have to do some navigation with the map.I just figured adf acting as a beacon which carriers did broadcast from what I understand for their plans to home in on would add something.Could add some dangers to missions, such as surviving the combat phase only to have trouble finding the carrier, land with little fuel aboard.Could do this without a beacon but it would add some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The CFS1 gauges are programed to only look at tanks that they came with in CFS1. So you can't make the CFS1 P-47d gauge read the Left Main tank. It will only read and display Center tank 1 and Center tank 2.
    Ah, anyway to make it work correctly in CFS 2? it's a great gauge esp for the older planes.SBD , TBD etc.

Program the .air to use Center tank 1 and Center tank 2 for the fuel tanks.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

addendum

Many, I'm sure plot the last waypoint from the target area to "land at base." That puts you, after warp into a long landing pattern. I will plot the location of the carrier TF next waypoint (WP), after launch, at the estimated time of return of my flight. I will then plot a WP for the flight about 5 nautical miles from the TF's WP. That usually is cose enough to spot some of the ships.

If you know your plotted return speed, you can use the map (which is realistic) to figure your heading. You can then fly back to your WP without using the heading/distance indicator on the top left side of the screen. I used to slap a protractor on the screen to calculate the heading and add subtract the magnetic deviation to get the compass heading. Unfortunately the VF-15 website with magnetic declinations for the whole CFS2 PTO is no longer up.

You will have to know which way to start anyway, because CFS2 ADF only has a range of 100 or 85 nm. At least I think i remember the max range as being 100 nm.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Reply...

Dasuto247,

I agree completely with Shadow Wolf 07. When I do a carrier strike mission, I plot my return to where the ships will be at that point, not where they are when the mission begins. And his other point is correct as well...I put the next-to-last waypoint between five and ten miles out so that you can spot the ships, and once you are over the fleet, I suspend warping and have you get down onto the deck.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0