Alphasim Voodoo goes native FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim Voodoo goes native FSX

Thank you very much, a VooDoo for FSX is quite a surprise hschuit!

Fabulous! Any chance I'd be able to ask if there are placeholder specular textures in place? Is the alpha channel active? Im having an impossible time with making it active in the saber dog...im not very model savvy to begin with...this is one of those aircraft that truly was bare metal and would benefit from the texture enhancements! Looks great as a native.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'll need to grab this too....great stuff...

Meanwhile....some time ago I did these...available here on the site....

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Fabulous! Any chance I'd be able to ask if there are placeholder specular textures in place? Is the alpha channel active? Im having an impossible time with making it active in the saber dog...im not very model savvy to begin with...this is one of those aircraft that truly was bare metal and would benefit from the texture enhancements! Looks great as a native.
    The single seater bare metal paints have diffuse texture alphas + paint specific specular maps which also have alpha channels to enhance specularity. The MDL materials call the FSX stock FRESNEL_RAMP and GLOBALENV_AC_CHROME maps.
    The 2 seater uses a set of generic specular maps in the common texture folder. You are an expert in this field so you should be able to find them.
    Last edited by hschuit; November 29th, 2015 at 23:17.

I've noticed the metal paints come out quite dark; these files were set up for a port-over for DX9 and looked quite good (given they were done some years ago pre-Photoshop). A quick fix is to install a slightly lighter Fresnel ramp in the 'texture' file; alternatively, if you have it, I'm using John Terrell's out of his P-51D Little Friends pack. I'm in the process of lightening the base metal backgrounds and generally smartening things up a bit and will publish these when I can.

DaveQ

'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Just a note on my SEA livery. I am not familiar with any of the newer techniques that everyone is discussing here so if anyone wants to "can/dump/get rid of", lol, what I did and do a decent repaint incorporating the tools available please feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    The single seater bare metal paints have diffuse texture alphas + paint specific specular maps which also have alpha channels to enhance specularity. The MDL materials call the FSX stock FRESNEL_RAMP and GLOBALENV_AC_CHROME maps.
    The 2 seater uses a set of generic specular maps in the common texture folder. You are an expert in this field so you should be able to find them.
    Thank you for the reply...saw this thread before i went to.bed and hadn't been able to DL...I'll see about it after work today. Thanks for taking the time to convert these. I'm seriously impressed.. .new life into some great aircraft that would otherwise might not make it nowadays!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Yep, great job getting the Voodoo Chil' into FSX natively...

BTW....I forgot the 'B' also available here...

Keyboard command for the chute

Hi Henk,

Wonderful !!! Did you assign a keyboard command for the drag chute?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Hi Henk,
    Wonderful !!! Did you assign a keyboard command for the drag chute?
    Bill
    I assigned the Wingfold key [F] to the chute - all the basic need to know things are in the Kneepad checklist:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Voodoo_check.jpg  

Dark 81st TFW F101C textures

Hi Dave,

I am seeing exactly what you describe. I am also eagerly looking forward to whatever you do to make them look like your screen-shot!

ATB, Bill

Hi All,
    I'm a little confused by the panel designations. According to the RF-101C manual this is the correct panel but I don't see this rendition anywhere. This of course dates back to the original renditions which I believe were incorrect.

RE-101C Panel from the manual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-101C Panel.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	32311

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm a little confused by the panel designations. According to the RF-101C manual this is the correct panel but I don't see this rendition anywhere. This of course dates back to the original renditions which I believe were incorrect.

RE-101C Panel from the manual:

When I was doing my reworks of the Alpha panels into 1680 widescreen I'd dug up a photo of an RF101C ....

....a cleaner ver of which I used as a photo-real result as shown in the lower of the two above...

This is it...

Jafo, you did a great job on these panel, No question!
    But I think there was some confusion when Alpha did the original panels. At least, according to the manuals.

I just picked up the F-101C manual and here is that panel. So that looks to be correct when comparing to the original Alpha bitmap. Just trying to sort out the different panels for my own information.

Name:	F-101C Panel.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	32316

Here is the RF-101 G/H Panel

Name:	RF-101G-H Panel.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	32317

Jafo, I know I've seen that other panel in one of these manuals I just need to find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    OK so I just picked up the F-101C manual and here is that panel. So that looks to be correct when referring to the original AS bitmap. Just trying to sort out the different panels for my own information.

Yep, that's the first one I posted above....again taken from a photo....
    Alpha's originals were a bit awry ... but mainly I just wanted to stop the distortion/stretch in wide screen... and get a little closer to the correct gauge graphics/choices. Old panels didn't have anything 'digital' in them.....that didn't happen to around 1970...

As I've said you did a fantastic job on all the updated panels. My questions really are really aimed at the original Alpha when deciding which panel was used in what plane.

I now have a full set of McDonnell manuals and I can tell you they had quite a few different panels depending on which model and block number.

It appears from the Canadian manual, the original Alpha bitmap on the "B" model was also correct. Thanks for you hard work on these.

Forgot to mention ... my various wide-screen 2D panels install/work with the new Native version just the same as they did in the original release...

Updated bare metal textures uploading here now and at Flightsim.com. Hope you likee!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Updated bare metal textures uploading here now and at Flightsim.com. Hope you likee!

DaveQ
    I like your updated bare metal textures. Thank you Dave. I only ever saw a Voodoos in flight as part of a refuelling demonstration formation with a KB-50, B-66, F-100 at air displays.

Dave thanks for the updated textures, amazing how good the old crow looks with the new feathers

Dave, You new metal textures are absolutely superb. Bill

Unfortunately, too matte surface

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Unfortunately, too matte surface
    Sometimes FSX refuses to use the stock FSX fresnel_ramp texture and you have to put a copy directly into the aircraft texture folder. Attached the fresnel_ramp file:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Sometimes FSX refuses to use the stock FSX fresnel_ramp texture and you have to put a copy directly into the aircraft texture folder. Attached the fresnel_ramp file:
    Hi Hank,

I am grateful to you!

The paintkit available?

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 1