Adding a tailhook?

Thread: Adding a tailhook?

Adding a tailhook?

How would add a tailhook to a plane? Say the P-38? While it never happened, thinking would like to make a navalized version of the P-38, which believe was proposed to the Navy during the war but were not interested. Base it on P-38 L specs, prob base off the P-38J which is based off the OH model.With the catapult mod could be fun. I have landed a 38 on an essex before, barely, sure with tailhook and proper procedure would work.

aircraft.cfg

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
    tailhook_position = -17.5, 0.0, -0.5 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust = 1.0
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yes, take the paragraph that Allen provided and paste it somewhere (eg: between [electrical] and [contact points]) on the aircraft .cfg file. Be advised that the tailhook will work, but it won't be visible like other parts and the weapons of the aircraft.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Yes, take the paragraph that Allen provided and paste it somewhere (eg: between [electrical] and [contact points]) on the aircraft .cfg file. Be advised that the tailhook will work, but it won't be visible like other parts and the weapons of the aircraft.

I figured it would not show, that is a model thing yes? Works fine though, did some test and 38 is not bad for carrier landings in cfs 2, just different than most carrier planes.Landing with one engine is tricky lol. Perhaps one day a talented modeler will add a tailhook, folding wing tips maybe.I did some tweaking of the airfile, pushed it past L specs, as a what if type deal, definitely works nice in late war anti kamikaze missions as a fleet defense interceptor due to the outstanding climb rate and speed..Modified the DP for when used in ground attack missions as well. Navalized the panel as well with a airspeed indicator that displays speed in knots instead of MPH. Also edited the checklist to suit the "38S" Going to attempt to learn to do skins for the planes, navalized paint jobs for 38 "Sea Lightning" , will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    aircraft.cfg

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
    tailhook_position = -17.5, 0.0, -0.5 ;(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust = 1.0
    Thanks allen, works great.

If you want to mess with a P-38 I can send you the gMax of the P-38J I did....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If you want to mess with a P-38 I can send you the gMax of the P-38J I did....
    Sure, Ill pm you my email

Members who have read this thread: 0