Poll: What kinds of controllers do you use?

Thread: Poll: What kinds of controllers do you use?

Poll: What kinds of controllers do you use?

As part of the Spitfire VII/VIII project I am looking into implementing more complex engine management via an autohotkey script. It will take your control inputs from keyboard and joystick and whatever else you have connected and determine how well you are treating your engine and enacting consequences for exceeding engine limitations. Other systems will also be modeled. To produce something that will work for as many people as possible, I need to know what controllers you use. If this peaks your interest please answer the questions below and feel free to add any other details you like.

1. Do you have an axis assigned to control throttle, propeller and mixture (like a throttle quadrant or TPM box), or do you use the keyboard commands?

2. Do you have rudder pedals, a rudder axis on your joystick, or just use the keyboard?

3. Do you use trackIR?

Thanks for your help.

1. Throttle only on the joystick. I never mess with prop pitch or mixture controls.
    2. Rudder is a simple twist of the handle on the joystick
    3. I can't live without my TrackIR and 3840 x 1024 widescreen.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

X52 with Track IR 5

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

1. I use a number of setups - Joystick MS Sidewinder2, Yoke CH FS-pro, Throttle Quadrant CH (six levers), I do map mixture, trim, prop pitch, landing gear etc to various levers and switches.

2. Rudder pedals CH. I use both rudder pedals and or twist function on joystick, never keyboard for rudder control.

3. TrakIR-4

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

My Setup:

1: Throttle Quadrant
    2: CH rudder pedals
    3: no TIR
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Sidewinder FFB2, throttle on the stick and keyboard for everything else.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

X52
    Rudder pedals
    Saitek trimmwheel
    TrackIR

X-52
    Saitek Cessna Yoke
    Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrants (2)
    TrackIR (which seems now overtaken by)
    Trackhat/Opentrack

Mostly programmed via FSUIPC

experimenting with Linda/LUA

also:-

Saitek Pro Flight Switch, Radio and Multi Panels
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

SOH-CM-2020
    MS Sidewinder 2

throttle, rudder and ailerons on the stick. Other commands on the keyboard like brakes etc

The sidewinder has at least 7 assignable buttons which provides options - I assume the FF version also has the buttons?

Hi,

I have a MadCatz Cyborg V1 stick with 7 buttons assigned to elevator trim, changing weapons, and selecting targets.

For rudder I use Saitek ProFlight Rudder pedals with wheel breaks assigned.

Thanks,

Chris
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Sidewinder stick and love it.

Use to have a sidewinder in the 90's for the Jane's stuff, now I have a Basic Logitech Extreme 3D Pro I always use keyboard as well

I have

Various RC Sims
    Jane's WW2 Fighters
    Jane's Attack Squadron
    Jane's Longbow Gold
    Jane's Longbow 2
    LOMAC
    Flaming Cliffs 2
    IL-2 1946
    CFS3

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

Thanks for the help guys. So it seems very few of you use an axis for prop or mixture, which will be an important distinction when I write the script. Hopefully I can accommodate both.

As a follow on question, do any of you use the programming software that came with your controller to create custom buttons? For example I set up one of my joystick buttons to repeatedly send the key command to drop bombs as long as it was held down so I could salvo my whole load with a single button press. Have of you done something similar?

I don't use the joystick program software application for the gaming but have it installed, for fear of conflicts. I let the game's settings use the joystick directly if the game will allow it.

Also I am scared of setting the joystick down on anything or get near the CPU or HD, because of the magnets..

ETO? How do I install it? Download Links? HERE Horizontal lines at menu after installing ETO? - FIX - choose a wingman, plane, then try quick mission.I found this config setup ArgonV posted at simhq, works good HERE Graphics card updates change your game settings? With error? Ankor's Shader fixes it HERE Nvidia HERE

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. So it seems very few of you use an axis for prop or mixture, which will be an important distinction when I write the script. Hopefully I can accommodate both.

As a follow on question, do any of you use the programming software that came with your controller to create custom buttons? For example I set up one of my joystick buttons to repeatedly send the key command to drop bombs as long as it was held down so I could salvo my whole load with a single button press. Have of you done something similar?
    Yes to all questions:

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar with mixture and prop controls assigned to the Range and Antenna rotaries on the Throttle Quadrant through Foxy. This programmming software also assigns the WEP function to the afterburner position on the Throttle axis. Besides that, there are various other CFS3 functions that I have assigned through the software to the Joystick & Throttle Quadrant's buttons. Eg. divebrakes, 'combat flaps' (dropping one notch of flaps that raise automatically with button release), weapon selection and firing, jettisoning of stores, target selection, 'radar thingie' settings (can't remember the proper CFS3 name at the moment for that). Basically all the stuff you don't want to feel for on a keyboard when in combat. Normal flap operations, landing gear etc. is keyboard operated when I don't need my eyes to be on the target/enemy.

Apart from that I use a TrackIR4 and a MFG Crosswind rudder pedal/toe brake-set. This last bit I bought when my ridiculously expensive RealSimulator rudder pedal-set gave out after about 10 years of use. Having it repaired by the manufacturer proved to be almost as costly as a new set, so after some searching on the web I settled on the MFG. It comes highly recommended! Good quality, good service and much, much cheaper than the RealSimulator's set. Although it appears deceptively simple in design (almost IKEA-like and yes, it is assembled with an Allen-key ), it has some clever solutions for simmers; eg. by using cams, the gradually stiffening of the rudder at higher speeds can be felt with your feet and is not programmed through software. Cams can be changed for different rudder tactile feedback effects (prop, jet, linear, exponential etc.) and the tension of the rudder and toe brake springs can easily be adjusted. Take a peek at Milan's website if you're interested...

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Members who have read this thread: 0