Thieves roaming my neighborhood.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves roaming my neighborhood.....

Thieves roaming my neighborhood.....

Thieves (punks) occasionally roam my neighborhood at night, looking for unlocked vehicle doors. They ransack whatever they can, quickly, and move on. Two of my neighbor's vehicles were "hit" by thieves last night. Both admitted not having locked their cars.

I don't have a garage, just a car port, but I do have a heavy-duty metal latched driveway gate. I try to remember to lock my car most nights, but this is a reminder to me that thieves are out there. I ordered a wireless sensor for my gate though. A...holes. NC

Blog Entries
    12 gauge shotgun with rock salt in shell's, and a sign saying I am awake all night posted at the front gate.
    Look What I Have Become!

Same in our neighborhood. I've always had a steering wheel lock on my pickup and make sure there is nothing a value inside the cab.

We have a neighborhood website which is helpful. Many of my neighbors have posted thefts of various kinds. Lately a few batteries have been taken from vehicle. Makes no sense whatsoever since battery cores are not worth much.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

That's a Darn shame Chief. And you recently moved from another town in FL to get away from such as that. Guess it's just everywhere. There is no escaping it.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    12 gauge shotgun with rock salt in shell's, and a sign saying I am awake all night posted at the front gate.
    SALT ONLY ? WHY ? .....

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    That's a Darn shame Chief. And you recently moved from another town in FL to get away from such as that. Guess it's just everywhere. There is no escaping it.
    Yep. I will say this....the north Pensacaola neighborhood we live in is MUCH safer the area in Fort Myers we moved from.

Also, I am surrounded by neighbors who own firearms and fly their American flag proudly.... NC

Blog Entries
    2 years ago i bought this security system, 8 camera's
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-8CH-NV...AAAOSwl9BWM1bm

thief's dont bother me
    here is a view
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	32026
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    rock salt usually won't kill, but it make them wish it would for 24 hours and the Dr's cannot help them much, lol
    Look What I Have Become!

Nice security system, Ickie. My neighborhood hasn't gotten to the point where I need that type of protection yet. Hope it doesn't! NC

In most states, discharging a firearm - regardless of the load - will get you arrested if you're not actually defending your life. Your car in the driveway is considered expendable. However... Get yourself a high-powered pepper spray can that you can use to hit them from the porch. Hit 'em in the face and let 'em suffer, then the police can use a UV light to verify they're the one you sprayed, since most pepper sprays also include a permanent fluorescent dye.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK6Y5I
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    In most states, discharging a firearm - regardless of the load - will get you arrested if you're not actually defending your life. Your car in the driveway is considered expendable. However... Get yourself a high-powered pepper spray can that you can use to hit them from the porch. Hit 'em in the face and let 'em suffer, then the police can use a UV light to verify they're the one you sprayed, since most pepper sprays also include a permanent fluorescent dye.

Oh, I am not planning on discharging a firearm. But if anyone goes through my gate into my backyard, I will call the sheriff's dept. first, and then prepare to defend my home NC

Blog Entries
    Hey Chief,

I'd have a close look at the Stand Your Ground Statute for Florida...if you already haven't.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2023
    Get a motion detector light system and mount it to cover your vehicle. In one of the light receptacles, screw in a dual adapter to take the light in one and rig a loud siren in the other. What you want is when the motion detector detects, both the lights and a LOUD audio siren activate.

Or, if you can rig it, two lights and something to play audio of a barking dog when the sensor detects.

Or, two receptacles for both lights, the siren and the barking dog audio,

Oh, he!!, get the AK-47 ........

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thieves (punks) occasionally roam my neighborhood at night, looking for unlocked vehicle doors. They ransack whatever they can, quickly, and move on. Two of my neighbor's vehicles were "hit" by thieves last night. Both admitted not having locked their cars.

I don't have a garage, just a car port, but I do have a heavy-duty metal latched driveway gate. I try to remember to lock my car most nights, but this is a reminder to me that thieves are out there. I ordered a wireless sensor for my gate though. A...holes. NC
    We had that problem one time. Some kids out late at night stole some change from my wifes mini-van and some cassette tapes (this was awhile ago.)

I bought a fairly large but very realistic rubber snake and put it in the floor board of the pax side of her vehicle. Not sure it deters much but twice we found the passenger door open in the morning, the glove box opened and NOTHING gone...

http://www.funslurp.com/six-foot-fak...FQ6SaQodRZ0JEw

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    No Issue's for me and Im in Sin City lol. Although where I live we have Armed Security tight and all us residents are armed too. LVMPD Convention Ctr Command is just down the road too. Now go anywhere outside a half mile and it's well un-measurable types of crime and war and that includes the Strip with it's Pedestrian Polo Match's as of late.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

SOH-CM-2020
    This fellas got the idea .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burglars 61019_10151350453680560_901889818_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post

Yep, it's assault with a deadly weapon and in most residential areas you also get charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm. Unlawful discharge is a misdemeanor, but assault with a deadly weapon is a felony and could land you in prison for at least one year, then you might get sued in civil court by the recipient of the rock salt shot and you could also lose your rights to vote and possess a firearm.

I live in a safe area, or at least it used to be. I'd leave my car unlocked at night, but a few years ago that practice resulted in someone going through all the compartments inside my vehicle and they did steal less than a dollar in toll money that I keep in my vehicle. Since then I lock my vehicle and I've had no more problems with that. I recently found that someone tried to break into my tool shed. The shed has two small windows and I expect they saw the two bicycles stored inside the shed and tried to pry the door open. I now keep the bikes covered and I will be putting opaque or translucent covers inside the windows. Crimes of opportunity, often kids looking for money or something they can easily sell.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Most of the crimes described do not rise to the level of needing deadly force. Basic rule for the use of deadly force is only if your life or that of someone else is in immediate peril.
    If robbers start looking around in my car or barn, it's a matter for the sheriff. If they enter my house unarmed, it's pepper spray. If they enter armed, it's the .357. If they then exit, seeing the wisdom of not pursuing the matter further, it once again becomes a matter for the sheriff. If they don't see the wisdom, it'll be the sheriff and the ambulance.

Before you start shooting, be damned sure you know what the laws are pertaining to the use of firearms, or anything else for that matter, in protecting yourself and your property. You may very well find yourself on the wrong side of the law. After all, even the police have to explain why they thought it was necessary.

Charter Member 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Most of the crimes described do not rise to the level of needing deadly force. Basic rule for the use of deadly force is only if your life or that of someone else is in immediate peril.
    If robbers start looking around in my car or barn, it's a matter for the sheriff. If they enter my house unarmed, it's pepper spray. If they enter armed, it's the .357. If they then exit, seeing the wisdom of not pursuing the matter further, it once again becomes a matter for the sheriff. If they don't see the wisdom, it'll be the sheriff and the ambulance.

Before you start shooting, be damned sure you know what the laws are pertaining to the use of firearms, or anything else for that matter, in protecting yourself and your property. You may very well find yourself on the wrong side of the law. After all, even the police have to explain why they thought it was necessary.

Don't be afraid to defend yourself, especially inside your home, but the above is very good advice !
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

I have always thought that I would do my best to make it clear I am home and aware of their presence and calling the cops, giving them every opportunity to beat feet rather than create some dramatic showdown.
    If they continue to approach then you now know you are dealing with a dangerous person and that simplifies the decision making process to some degree.

I live in Brazil. That's lawless America. Here, if you leave your car unlocked, you will not have the stuff inside your car stolen. You will have your whole car, your house, your cat, your wife, and even your shoes stolen. So if all you have to do around there is leave your car locked, you thank god every day for living in a halfway decent country.

Back when I had a ****ty '98 Fiat Uno, I've had it broken into twice. They BENT the freaking door to unlock it on both occasions. One of these times, it was inside the building's garage, several other cars were violated, partially destroyed, and some even smelled like CRACK.

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    I have always thought that I would do my best to make it clear I am home and aware of their presence and calling the cops, giving them every opportunity to beat feet rather than create some dramatic showdown.
    If they continue to approach then you now know you are dealing with a dangerous person and that simplifies the decision making process to some degree.
    Yep

Neighborhood App

Navy Chief,

Take a look at this app called Nextdoor its for the Android and Iphone, people around your neighborhood can report whats going on, and you can get text messages about warnings and other things happening around your neighborhood.

https://nextdoor.com/
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Icon23

Quote Originally Posted by airtj View Post
    Navy Chief,

Take a look at this app called Nextdoor its for the Android and Iphone, people around your neighborhood can report whats going on, and you can get text messages about warnings and other things happening around your neighborhood.

Thanks airtj,

I do not own a cellphone (don't want one, either), but I am a member on the Nextdoor website for my neighborhood + 5 others. When my neighbor told me about the thievery yesterday, I posted about it on the Nextdoor site immediately! Usually someone will reply, but no comments yet. Still, I feel better about letting folks know. My neighbor DID call Escambia County Fl. Sheriff's dept, and a deputy did come out to make a report. I spoke to him, and he told me of the other incidents reported the same day. I bought a lock for my gate, in addition to the wireless alarm, which will arrive (courtesy of my favorite online store, Amazon) this Friday. NC

Quote Originally Posted by airtj View Post
    Navy Chief,

Thanks for the link! Just signed up and there is a lot more going on in my neighborhood crime wise than I was aware of.
    Wife and I were discussing what our joint Xmas present was going to be--- surveillance camera system it is
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

Members who have read this thread: 0