P3Dv2.5 vs P3Dv3

Thread: P3Dv2.5 vs P3Dv3

P3Dv2.5 vs P3Dv3

i have P3Dv2.5 now and will upgrade very soon..should i delete v2.5 before i even download v3? and do i need to redownload all of my orbx?...for the new installers?\

Dave, as I understand it, you don't have to uninstall P3D v2.5. I left mine where it was and still use it from time to time for development. If you have a SSD, it would be best to put P3D v3 on that disc. This is Lockheed Martin's recommendation. You will need to reinstall all Orbx programs as they become P3D v3 compatible. Many aircraft and scenery is compatible. It just takes time to give'em a try.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

i think ill buy a dedicated SSD for it...thanks tom

That is what LM recommends and what I did. Seems to work really well.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    The SSD is the only way to go. I ran 2.5 and 3.0 side by side for quite a while, but now only 3.0 on the SSD and FSX on the spinning drive for Instant Scenery etc.

If it's in the budget I'd look at 1gig so you don't run out of room down the line. Half gig would be adequate but any less may leave you cramped as you accumulate scenery and aircraft. You're going to love P3Dv3 and an SSD.

Give yourself time to move in. It's more of a learning curve and takes some getting used to, but once you find your way around you won't look back.
    Last edited by gman5250; November 23rd, 2015 at 05:22.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Hey big guy....I dunno what I was thinking in the post above.

I suggested SSD capacity in gigs....I meant terabytes. Must the CRS...again. Ideally you will use a 1TB SSD, second choice would be 500 GB, lowest would be 250 GB.

Sorry for the error...
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Hey big guy....I dunno what I was thinking in the post above.

I suggested SSD capacity in gigs....I meant terabytes. Must the CRS...again. Ideally you will use a 1TB SSD, second choice would be 500 GB, lowest would be 250 GB.

Sorry for the error...
    i kinda figured you meant 1TB..lol

Well, you dont have to have all your scenery, nor your aircraft on the SSD. You can have them somewhere else, no problem. The general consensus is that having everything on the ssd only makes loadtimes faster, not performance.

I have my P3D on a 240gb ssd and with all my scenery on a hdd. Since I´m not a repaint collector, my AC is on the SSD in the "standard" folder

Blog Entries
    If you want to install your Orbx folder on another drive (or any other folder for that matter) I found those instructions on another forum (AVSIM I think):

"There's this little app called 'HardShellLink', which adds all types of file and folders linking into windows right click context menu, making moving around scenery folders as easy as pie!
    Can grab it from here: http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/h...extension.html
    Once installed, simply find the scenery you want to move. Move it to where you want. Then, right click on it and select 'pick as source'. Then, go to the destination folder and right click again selecting 'drop as junction'. Ta-da, done in half a second!"

I use it myself, it works very well. If you had a lot of aircraft etc in your "Sim Objects" folder there's nothing to stop you putting that on another hard drive. You can even install as per normal, say if you bought another Orbx scenery and still it will still move the new scenery to the other hard drive and work as normal. To me it's great.

Regards,
    Ian

exactly
    Symbolic links made by using 'HardShellLink' is the way to go. It takes a few seconds to link a folder from another drive to your sim main folder.

Members who have read this thread: 0