HU: Milviz F-4J/S has launched! - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: HU: Milviz F-4J/S has launched!

gray eagle, not seeing your pic? You can adjust the INS alignment time in the desktop ACM, or wait about 10mins.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    gray eagle, not seeing your pic? You can adjust the INS alignment time in the desktop ACM, or wait about 10mins.

Had to U/L the pic to a hoster. Anyway, I think the problem was my Avast was blocking the menu manager and so I disabled it long enough to allow my changes in the menu manager then turned it on. The AB effect works now. Hooray... I changed the sliders back to default settings.

BTW: I did not see a users manual or could find it. I did find one PDF on the ACM Panel.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    BTW: I did not see a users manual or could find it. I did find one PDF on the ACM Panel.
    The User Manual link can be seen at the bottom of the page displayed through my original post in this thread.
    As you'll see, though, it's not yet available.

Dave

Each of the two aircraft folders have document subfolders. There are three manuals in the "J" and only one in the "S". The ACM manual is copied in both.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I think you must of been reading my mind. But having been assigned to VF-154 during the Viet-Nam campaign, I remember the smoke abatement system incorporated back then.
    Before that, they were notorious for leaving smoke contrails (A dead give away to the enemy ). A subsequent power plant change (PPC) fixed that
    From what I have read, more than one attempt was made to rectify the smoke trail issue. The early attempt was with an additive that was not totally effective and had the drawback of being corrosive and was not widely used in operational units after a time.
    The last one was the improved engine that was able to operate at higher temps and that did a good job of eliminating the problem if the user chose to use the higher temps .
    The GAF for example chose longer engine life so they were still smoking away into the 21st century. The late 1980's USAF would not be taking the long view on the F-4
    All of this is what I have gathered from reading on the internet and thus Caveat emptor, as usual different guys who claim to know the real deal differ at times.

I do recall one awesome deployment where I was at the end of the runway and you would have an F-4C departing and it would blot out the sky, followed by F-4E's and F-16As. Out of burner the F-4Es were smoking less than our F-16s.
    With the F-4J I would imagine the level of smoke would depend on the time frame you are looking at.

We had naval variants visit from time to time but I don't remember anything remarkable about them one way or the other, except the US Marine F-4 guys who would show up on the weekends and managed to run off the end of the 10,000 foot runway 3 times.
    The last two were so close together that as some of us off duty enlisted men who were grilling burgers between the hangar and ops, invited them to stop by after next weeks overrun since we were planning to grill steaks around about then.

My apologies - I thought I had fixed these already:

The J/S now has working download buttons on the product page for the manuals and the paintkit!

The E also has a flight manual downloadable from the product page.
    Jim Stewart

I was going to ante up for one of my all time favourite aircraft and was looking at buying 'Australian'.
    However, the exchange rate for the Pacific Peso killed my enthusiasm!
    Milviz Inc - F-4S/J Phantom II Bundle [FSX/FSX S-E/P3D v2.x/P3D v3.x] AUD$124.15

Crap exchange rate.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Uploaded a 228 OCU, RAF paint in grey.

SOC October 92 broken up 96, nose survives in Spain apparently

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Thank you, Dave. Looks great.
    -- WH

Conversion of Navy F4E to NEW f4J

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is having problems converting the RAF/RN paints I did for use with the J/S models. Yes it isn't straightforward because all the texture files have new names. If you look at any texture folder in the F-4J folder you see that, for instance F4E_1_ext, is now called F4E_S_J_1_ext_diffuse. ALL the main external files (F4E_S_J_1_ext_diffuse to F4E_S_J_12_ext_diffuse) have to be renamed. The same goes for the F-4S folder. The F-4J's delivered to 74 Sqdn. were effectively to F-4S standard so I should put at least these in the F-4S folder then you can get the formation lights (slimes) to show, though the tail one is too far forward for the RAF version afaict. I would rename and retain the -spec file for the later iteration of ZE361 because the radome is certainly much duller in the photos I worked from. Lastly none of my paints need the later RWR box on the fin; I'm going to do a 64 Sqdn (228 OCU) bird in grey with a box, together with some more later camo ones - possibly -if I can get the time.....!

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help, it works with a little attention to detail and a lot of perseverance. I managed to convert one of the repaints done for the F4E series to the new F4J/S series.
    In following your rules for conversion, I was not having much luck till I kept coming back to your post here and it was one issue after another, I kept getting a black F4; Had some of the letters
    in each file to be converted juxtaposed and then I still had a black bird, then in the Aircraft.cfg file, I borrowed one of the flt.sim XX entries and after trimming/massaging it to fit this bird
    Eurka!! The clouds opened and the angles came out... I will rezip this repaint done by Tom Stovall. I guess I have a lot of work to do to convert those Navy F4E to new F4J version now.

Butch, at present I am converting the VF-154 using the new paint kit. Not sure what was changed but Kat mentioned the slats were different with some other small changes. I should have your VF-154 complete in the next couple days.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thank you for your help, it works with a little attention to detail and a lot of perseverance. I managed to convert one of the repaints done for the F4E series to the new F4J/S series.
    In following your rules for conversion, I was not having much luck till I kept coming back to your post here and it was one issue after another, I kept getting a black F4; Had some of the letters
    in each file to be converted juxtaposed and then I still had a black bird, then in the Aircraft.cfg file, I borrowed one of the flt.sim XX entries and after trimming/massaging it to fit this bird
    Eurka!! The clouds opened and the angles came out... I will rezip this repaint done by Tom Stovall. I guess I have a lot of work to do to convert those Navy F4E to new F4J version now.
    It's a long and winding road.....!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Butch, at present I am converting the VF-154 using the new paint kit. Not sure what was changed but Kat mentioned the slats were different with some other small changes. I should have your VF-154 complete in the next couple days.
    Tom,
    That is good news!! I wonder if you will do the conversions for your other ones? If the slats were different maybe I should just knock off my quest to convert your other repaints.
    I appreciate you redoing the Black Knights of VF-154.... Ooh Rah!

Butch, I will convert all the paints as time will allow. It is a fairly fast process but just takes time. The VF-154 is the first. Colin had me do a number of paints so some have already been done. That list should be available soon.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Butch, I will convert all the paints as time will allow. It is a fairly fast process but just takes time. The VF-154 is the first. Colin had me do a number of paints so some have already been done. That list should be available soon.
    Okay. Thanks bunches.
    Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to the list.

Just a note to repainters. Look your J textures conversions over thoroughly. In converting my VMFA-251 paint, I have discovered some changes to textures and bumps. The slatted outer wing panels are the obvious ones. However, there are other less obvious ones.

In my paint on the "E" version I created new fuselage bumps for textures 1 and 2 to eliminate the "E" version refueling panel in the spine. Unfortunately, the new J bumps still have it. Also there were 2 old spine antennae "notches" in the spine textures (1 and 2) that need to be eliminated. You can spot them on Gray Eagle's screen shot above.

Also, the afterburner cans now utilize TWO textures, "F4E_S_J_10_ext_diffuse.dds" in the individual texture folder, as well as "F4E_10_ext.dds" in the common texture folder. I learned this because for my repaint I also created a new texture for the "turkey feathers" and when I converted this file to the new name and used it, my texture only covered 5 out of 16 "turkey feathers"! The other texture in the common folder covers the remaining.

These are differences I've discovered so far. There are probably more. I've only looked at the J and only for converting the F-4E hybrid.

Hopes this helps.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

I like dis repaint...

-- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I like dis repaint...

Where can we get it???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I found the link over at the MV forums. Nice looking repaint!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good. Glad you found the link.
    -- WH

Outer wing slats

Duckie/Tom/DaveQ:

Yes the most obvious problem with the old textures is seen on the outboard LE slats. Question for one of you talented painters: Once one of you converts that file - is it transferable to other repaints (assuming the external wing paint is the same)?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Duckie/Tom/DaveQ:

Yes the most obvious problem with the old textures is seen on the outboard LE slats. Question for one of you talented painters: Once one of you converts that file - is it transferable to other repaints (assuming the external wing paint is the same)?

Bill

Bill, unfortunately these outer wing panels live on the same texture sheets as the V-tail and Rudder. Although, in many cases the outer wing panels would not change between aircraft of the same era, the V-tail and Rudder would most likely change unless same squadron with no numbers involved.

Steve
    Duckie

Just uploaded my VMFA-251 textures converted for use with the new Milviz F-4J.

The should be available soon.

Duckie

Thanks, Duckie.

I've got almost 70 textures for the 'E' model, so I'm relieved to have some of these converted to the newer 'J' models where they belong.
    -- WH

Thanks WH. I have a fix coming for this converted file. I forgot to eliminate my added red signal light, starboard just below the windscreen and above the Rescue Other Side stencil. Milviz added their own and I had it on my to do list and it got prematurely scratched! Fix will be up later today. I'll post a zip here and make the correction to the upload as well. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve
    Duckie

Members who have read this thread: 0