Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim Crusader goes native FSX

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Another one converted for the new Alphasim F-8 Native V2

------- image deleted -------
    Those are some really nice paints. How about uploading your repaints to the library ??

And any that you ...... want to do ...... for the Voodoo !!

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Those are some really nice paints. How about uploading your repaints to the library ??

And any that you ...... want to do ...... for the Voodoo !!
    I didn't make the paints, I only converted what was on Don's original content of textures.

If you want any of 'em send me a pm.

Repaint by Dave Quincey adapted for native FSX. Attachment 32244
    Last edited by bob407; November 30th, 2015 at 17:55.

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    Curious as to what your aircraft.cfg folder is set up for this paint.

I installed this one and it's black

here is what my aircraft.cfg is set up for this paint:

[fltsim.8]
    title=ALPHA F-8 Crusader VMF-235
    sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
    model=F8-J_Marines
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VMF-235
    KB_checklists=f8_check
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Vought
    ui_type=F-8 Crusader
    ui_variation=F-8E VMF-235 Da Nang, 1967
    description=© ALPHA Simulations 2005\n\nIn 1953 the F8U-1 Crusader won the Navy competition for the new carrier-based day fighter. It flew supersonic on its maiden flight in 1955. A Crusader set a national

speed record in 1956 by flying over 1000 mph, for which it won the Thompson Trophy. In 1957 Major John Glenn flew an F8U non-stop from Los Angeles to new York, setting a transcontinental speed record. In

1958 Vought received the first Certificate of merit ever awarded an aircraft manufacturer by the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics for the design, development and production of a US Navy aircraft. In the Vietnam

conflict the Crusader had the highest kill ratio over communist jets of any Navy aircraft. The F8U series enjoyed a long service life which was extended in the 1960s by remanufacturing and updating existing

aircraft. Crusaders flew in Navy reserve units until 1987, and the French navy flew its Crusaders well into the 1990’s.
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0

I have VMF 333 and have been trying to convert it to FSX but it too is black.

Gray Eagle

Download file in my edited post. That should do it.

Gray Eagle

Download file in my edited post. That should do it.
    The model=F8_Marines didn't work for me; black plane. I tried all model= possibilities and still black.
    Guess I may try the author to iron it out. Glad you got it working for you.

The model=F8_Marines didn't work for me; black plane. I tried all model= possibilities and still black.
    Guess I may try the author to iron it out. Glad you got it working for you.
    I may have posted the acft cfg incorrectly earlier. Just in case I did, here is the cfg that definitely works for me:

[fltsim.xx] <-- your next entry
    sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
    model=F8-J
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VMF-235
    KB_checklists=f8_check
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Vought
    ui_type=F-8 Crusader
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    description=

I may have posted the acft cfg incorrectly earlier. Just in case I did, here is the cfg that definitely works for me:

[fltsim.xx] <-- your next entry
    sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
    model=F8-J
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VMF-235
    KB_checklists=f8_check
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Vought
    ui_type=F-8 Crusader
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    description=
    I tried that one too and she is still black. I sent hschuit a PM to see if he can sort this one out. I looked at all the texture files and they are all DDS format.
    It's gotta be a model issue that causes it to be black on my end albeit, I've tried just about all the models avail. Nice looking paint, if I could get it to show
    up for me.

Hmm, that paint came over ok for me, perhaps with one or two textures missing I had to track down. I am not fussed about having bmp's mixed with dds either. Usually a black model means an air.cfg error somewhere or formatting of the texture names. I have had partial black textures on swapping some paints over that after some trial and error - and swearing - for some reason got sorted out. Blame it on ol' Ninjamouse . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Here is my aircraft.cfg entry: I checked the numbering sequence and it is okay. The thumbnail shows okay in FSX. When I select that Thumb then I get a black preview.

[fltsim.8]
    sim=ALPHA_F-8v2
    model=F8-J
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=VMF-235
    KB_checklists=f8_check
    kb_reference=
    ui_manufacturer=Vought
    ui_type=F-8 Crusader
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    description=

Blackie

Heeeers.....Blackie,,, VMF 235. At least pilots helmet has color. Tried if from another source. All the dds files are in DXT5 format. Don't know if that makes any difference.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&linkid=16611

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Failing all else, have a look at the textures in DXTBMP, they may have gone corrupted. I've had that happen before with DXT5 textures, usually after diddling in editor and saving a DXT5 to DXT5, which scrambles the texture and gives the black-out, though I have also had DXT5 textures go south on their own, no rhyme or reason. Nowadays, I always convert to DXT3-those never glitch, and the HD footprint comes down. A few 200MB texture files, and you're running out of HD space.
    Su-ure...a 500gb HD should be enough... forgetting parkinson's corollary- any surplus capacity will be immediately taken up!
    Also, check syntax, look for an unwanted space in the titles, or extra punctuation. Damned frustrating when these gritches crop up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Henk for adding the "C".

The problem, GE, looks like you're trying to map a texture to a model it was not designed for. Carl's weird texture/mapping logic means that the paints dont' just pour in like most models do.

The pilot works, because it's mapped to the generic pilot texture file.

So what you need to do is change the "F-8E_DeathAngel_ " to simply "F-8E" - on all the texture file names. Then it'll show up - sort of. I still get a few anomalies, but at least you get most of it sorted.

I'm trying to adapt Dave Q's Marine paints onto the F-8C, but there are issues around how the tail/rudder area looks. Also trying to add one of Don's RF-8 paints, but again, there are mapping issues. Russ's low-vis RF-8 paint works ok, though.

I think the "C" model might be a decent canvas for a couple of smart purpose-made paints of something like this ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rf8a.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	32268

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF8G_plus.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	32269

Built from the "ground up" on the small nose C would eliminate all the texture mishmashes, but alas, we're at the mercy of a kind-hearted repainter.

In any event, this is a great project, thanks so much.

dl
    Last edited by delta_lima; December 1st, 2015 at 09:58.

VMF235 is there almost

Got a PM from Hschuit explaining why I was having issues:

Hi, the paint does not work because it needs the DeathAngel model which I did not convert. BUT: The DeathAngel model is similar to the F-8J which is included in the FSX pack, so we can make it work. There are 3 steps needed to fix this paint for FSX:
    1. Update the aircraft.cfg entries for FSX, such as changing the FSX model reference that will take this paint in the aircraft.cfg = F8-J.
    2. Rename all the F8-J_DeathAngel_* textures to F8-J* as those are used with the F8-J model.
    3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

I tried it for myself and it works now - thanks for the nice repaint btw, you can never go wrong with Dave's paints. Here is the link to the fixed paint:

Here is pic of what I have so far. The landing gears are black. Do I need to borrow certain gear files from another texture to fix that?
    I had just finished taking all the files down from DXT5 to DXT3 when I got the email above. BTW, my file conversions didn't work anyway.

GA, check the content of the texture.cfg file, it tries to call the common textures like the gear from a folder which does not exist in you case.

Okay now

Wow! Magic!

All I did was add a texture.cfg file and pop it into the VMF235 folder and no more black landing gears.... Thanks henk

THink I will back this one up for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    GA, check the content of the texture.cfg file, it tries to call the common textures like the gear from a folder which does not exist in you case.
    You also mention^ 3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

Which files are copied over from the VF-24 folder. Just so I know in the future.
    THanks

VMF 333 Trip Trey

Here is another conversion for VMF 333

Now on the right side note the backwards 7 on the tail rudder. Any painters out there that would like to fix this? PM me the one file replacement (fix) please. Thanks

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r0...9s/vmf-333.zip

You also mention^ 3. Copy a couple of missing F8-J textures over from my texture VF-24 folder.

Which files are copied over from the VF-24 folder. Just so I know in the future.
    THanks
    GA, if you look inside the texture.VF24 folder you see all the unique textures + thumbnail + texture.cfg needed by model.F8-J. All other textures needed for the model are in the "texture" folder (which has the common, shared by all models textures). By comparing the texture.VF24 folder against the FS9 repaint files you want to carry over you should be able to make most of them work.

Repaint by Dave Quincey adapted to native FSX using the 'F8-J_Marines' model. Thank you again Henk for the conversion. Much joy!
    Attachment 32284

[QUOTE=bob407;994167]

[IMG]http:great !
    The more you do, the less you dream

I don't seem to be able to get the Mk82's to show; Zunis yes, bombs no. Only missiles are shown in the payload and no amount of weight seems to add the bombs. Can someone tell me how to do it please!!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I don't seem to be able to get the Mk82's to show; Zunis yes, bombs no. Only missiles are shown in the payload and no amount of weight seems to add the bombs. Can someone tell me how to do it please!!
    DaveQ
    Dave, are you sure you use my aircraft.cfg version? If not, check the [weight_and_balance] section, this should be the correct stations layout:

max_number_of_stations = 3
    station_load.0 =180, 22.10, 0.0, 0.59, Pilot
    station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, Missiles +800
    station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400

the 2nd station is used for AIM9's or Zuni's depending on the model. The US Navy/French models do not have bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Dave, are you sure you use my aircraft.cfg version? If not, check the [weight_and_balance] section, this should be the correct stations layout:

station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, Missiles +800
    station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400

the 2nd station is used for AIM9's or Zuni's depending on the model. The US Navy/French models do not have bombs.

First I heard of this, so find a Marine texture in the Aircraft.cfg file

weight_and_balance]
    max_gross_weight = 34280
    empty_weight = 17836
    reference_datum_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
    empty_weight_CG_position = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
    empty_weight_pitch_MOI= 89275 ;101971 ;80271
    empty_weight_roll_MOI = 22222 ;11691 ;26442
    empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 56800 ;33392 ;56810
    empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0.00
    CG_forward_limit= 2.0 ;0.00
    CG_aft_limit = -2.0 ;1.00
    station_load.1 = 0, 3.75, 0.0, 0.00, AIM9/Zuni +800 <<<<< If I want AIM9/Zuni just and a + then a number?
    station_load.2 = 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.00, Bombs +4400 >>>>>> Ditto?

GA, the loadouts are all or nothing, you cannot add/substract single missiles/bombs.

model.F8-E : zero or 4 sidewinders
    model.F8-J : zero or 4 sidewinders
    model.F8-J_FrenchNavy : zero or 2 Mica's
    model.F8-J_Marines : zero or 8 zuni's and/or zero or 8 bombs

I.e, you enter zero in the payload station to hide a weapon, or the weight value as described in the kneepad to show it.

Members who have read this thread: 1