Alphasim EB-57E goes native FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alphasim EB-57E goes native FSX

I just uploaded an update of the FS2004 freeware EB-57 to the Warbirds Library. It features a native FSX model, FSX canopy glass, new hide/show crew animation and engine smoke / exhaust glow fx are controlled by engine RPM now.
    My next little conversion project will be the Alphasim F-8 Crusader, I plan to upload that file within a week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alphasim_EB-57E_FSX.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    I just uploaded an update of the FS2004 freeware EB-57 to the Warbirds Library. It features a native FSX model, FSX canopy glass, new hide/show crew animation and engine smoke / exhaust glow fx are controlled by engine RPM now.
    My next little conversion project will be the Alphasim F-8 Crusader, I plan to upload that file within a week.

Looking forward to the F8 conversion.

I go way back (Vietnam) started my aviation career with the F-8 as an Ordnance man. Those were the last of the Gunfighters.

Blog Entries
    Great news, Henk!

I suppose it's a bit lacking class to further derail off of the EB-57 ... but about that FSX F-8 - will you have been able to get the weapons off some of the models, for a clean model?

thanks for both these two projects.

dl

Cool! I noticed that it's categorized in the "FS2004 Military - Jets" category in the library though. Should it technically be in the FSX category now?

Great News Henk you old sly dog, lol. This is a great gift and so close to Christmas, lol. I wore this airplane out and finally gave up on it working beyond FSX. A new lease on life now and I can go back and pick up where I left off re-texturing the VC and doing a Hi Res PK for FSX and P3D. I did notice that Mick's paints in P3D will need the canopy glass replaced (looked solid black). That's minor though, otherwise his liveries were excellent.

Just a note: I used the sounds from the Hawker 800 by Rob Richardson. . .sounds pretty good.

HD VC and pk Ed?

Color me excited!

Did Phil give you the source files or something?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Cool! I noticed that it's categorized in the "FS2004 Military - Jets" category in the library though. Should it technically be in the FSX category now?
    Sean, good point - I have corrected it now.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Great news, Henk!
    I suppose it's a bit lacking class to further derail off of the EB-57 ... but about that FSX F-8 - will you have been able to get the weapons off some of the models, for a clean model? thanks for both these two projects.
    dl
    Daniel, these models take hours to convert (mainly due to the complex animations and the peculiar Carl Edwards style texture mapping) so I am doing those I like the most: The USN F-8J and the Aeronavale F-8E(FN). I will try to make the sidewinders optional through entering a weight value in the FSX Payload window.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Frank, I just used the freeware FS9 files and converted them using MCX, Sketchup Make and MDLMat.
    Last edited by hschuit; November 18th, 2015 at 22:19.

Didn't quite escape.
    I'm not in front of one right now, but I do remember seeing, regarding the Alphasim freeware releases, that Phil basically said "do anything you like with them".

A number of people have been making tweaks and re-uploading them, but this is by far the biggest (and most work!!!) "modification" that I've seen.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Sorry for being a pain, but have you considered doing the F-117 later on? Would be super.

Amazing work Henk!

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Blog Entries
    Sean, good point - I have corrected it now.

Daniel, these models take hours to convert (mainly due to the complex animations and the peculiar Carl Edwards style texture mapping) so I am doing those I like the most: The USN F-8J and the Aeronavale F-8E(FN). I will try to make the sidewinders optional through entering a weight value in the FSX Payload window.

Frank, I just used the freeware FS9 files and converted them using MCX, Sketchup Make and MDLMat.
    Thanks Henk!

Anything you do will be appreciated.

If it's easier to not mess with the AIM-9s and instead easier to just recompile either the small nose "C" or "D", missiles and all - that would just as good as a "clean - wing" J. But again, anything you do will be awesome.

Yes, those crazy textures haunt us to this day ...

thanks again.

dl

Very nice, do like a bit of cold war metal, thanks for your effort

cheers ian

Awesome you are doing Carl's Gunslinger! FS9 model still looks great in FSX - I still fly the socks off of it with Don B's panels, Sylvain's TACAN et al. Those texture match ups do make one's head spin . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I always liked this model, thanks for updating it. One thing, though, I can't seem to get the engine RPM above 95% inflight, unless I go into a high speed dive.

In the process of all this is there any way to get them to accept bump map and spec textures to truly bring them into FSX?

In the process of all this is there any way to get them to accept bump map and spec textures to truly bring them into FSX?
    I know from experience that specular maps can be added with MCX, I have not tried bumpmaps.

Yes, you can. I've converted the old Alpha Viggen to P3d native & added bump and spec maps.

I wish I knew how to do this. Tried but got pretty lost in the process.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    Yes, you can. I've converted the old Alpha Viggen to P3d native & added bump and spec maps.
    Is there a chance to get this?

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I'm not in front of one right now, but I do remember seeing, regarding the Alphasim freeware releases, that Phil basically said "do anything you like with them".
    Some of Alphasim's models readme's say

"These files are freeware. Please amend/distribute as you see fit.

The MDL files must not be back-compiled. This is forbidden under the MicroSoft EULA."

is the second line nonsense, or irrelevant anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    . . . . .The MDL files must not be back-compiled. This is forbidden under the MicroSoft EULA.
    I may be showing my naivete' here but since when does Microsoft, who no longer supports it's Flight Simulators, have anything to say about a 3rd party developers "mdl" files or how they're used?

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

I believe there was something in the recent copyright rules decision by the Library of Congress that had something to do with Abandonware, but the article wasn't very clear (I don't speak Legalese). Something about no longer supported software. I don't know where the actual ruling is posted, but if someone that speaks Legalese can find it, maybe we can get a layman's translation.

Steve
    AAF Lament:

"Glory! No more regulations!
    Rip them down at every station!
    Ground the guy that tries to make one!
    And LET US FLY LIKE HELL!"

From "There I Was...Flat On My Back" by Bob Stevens

Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Members who have read this thread: 0