Paris - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paris

Quote Originally Posted by z28lt View Post
    Bad guys will always get guns to do evil things and you need good guys with guns to stop them Ignorant people don't understand this.
    We can discuss about arms control in another thread if you want, but IMO it's not apropiate discuss about it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by z28lt View Post
    Bad guys will always get guns to do evil things and you need good guys with guns to stop them Ignorant people don't understand this.
    This is absolutely correct.

What I am about to post is A-political and respects all societies' and nations' rights to determine their own course with regard to arming themselves or not with firearms.

I have a suggestion for future such tragic events:

In the USA we have what is called "dog-piling".

It is an event whereby a bunch of people rush one person and pile on top of them.
    It is usually done joyously at the end of the world series baseball championship game or other winning sporting event.

However, as an experienced police firearms instructor and police unarmed self-defense instructor of many years, I will tell you all, it would work where a confined number of 25 to 100+ unarmed people are confronted by 1 to 5 armed assailants.

Yes, during the rushing of the armed assailant(s) some people could be injured or killed, but shear numbers will overwhelm the assailant(s) and they will be unable to hurt anyone else on the bottom of the dog pile.
    If they are dressed with a bomb vest, the dog pile will also absorb most if not all of the energy of the detonation saving many more people.

Had the over a thousand concert attendees rushed and dog piled the terrorists last night, far fewer would have been killed or injured.

An AK-47 has a relatively slow rate of fire and depending on the size of the magazine used by the terrorists, they would have had to do as they did, change magazines to kill more people.
    Rushing and dog-piling needs to be the response from now on when a large number of disarmed/unarmed people are confronted by armed terrorists.

We cannot lay down on the ground and let them execute us one by one, without regard to men, women, and even children.
    Terrorists, whether they are religiously motivated or irrationally motivated, are barbarians and must be dealt with aggressively.
    When no weapons of defense are available, dog-piling is the best and only answer to minimize the threat and outcomes.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    If they are dressed with a bomb vest, the dog pile will also absorb most if not all of the energy of the detonation saving many more people.
    As a former Special Response Team member, expecting civilians to act in such a way is folly, and against the nature of humans under duress. We cannot, and should not expect, civilians to act like soldiers, and I for one believe this mentality delivers to these terrorists what they inherently desire.

Enjoy freedom friends, because this is why they resent us. This is the price we all pay for it sometimes. Do not let these cowards change us.

Vive la France. My heart goes out to my French brothers and sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    This is absolutely correct.
    I agree. We have armed good guys, they are called Police and Gendarmerie.
    France: Police Nationale and National Gerdarmerie.
    Spain: Policia Nacional and Guardia Civil.
    Italy: Polizia di Stato and Carabinieri.
    Germany: Polizei (Germany hasn't Gendarmerie).

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    We're next
    You act like this is new? Have we so quickly forgotten 9/11, Oklahoma City, the U.S.S. Cole, the Marine barracks, and the thwarted attack in Texas recently? This isn't about who's next, or tit for tat, this is about *******s that exist worldwide under the guise of bull**** ideologies.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    We're next
    Not only are we "next", our ongoing refusal as a nation to acknowledge this threat and actively lead the world's response is contributing to it's growth (...being polite here). Make no mistake: This threat will have to be dealt with, degraded, and ultimately defeated if humanity is to remain free-- no matter what actions are required on our and our allies' part to eliminate the threat. The key issue we seem not to want to deal with as a nation is to commit to defining what "eliminate" means in this situation, and executing a comprehensive plan that achieves that objective. At what point that happens-- if ever-- remains to be seen. Meanwhile the future of the civilized world is at risk.

Kent

Kent, this is the SOH, you know the rules here. Please keep (national) politics out of this thread.

You already crossed this line in the "My Heart and Deep Felt Prayers to Our Friends in France" thread, so please consider this as your final warning.

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by ce_zeta View Post
    I agree. We have armed good guys, they are called Police and Gendarmerie.
    France: Police Nationale and National Gerdarmerie.
    Spain: Policia Nacional and Guardia Civil.
    Italy: Polizia di Stato and Carabinieri.
    Germany: Polizei (Germany hasn't Gendarmerie).
    This didn't seem to work very well. However, if only 10% of the people had conceal carry weapons, we'd be seeing totally different headlines. France is a liberal utopia with strict gun control laws and, as such, its citizens are sitting ducks when confronted by armed terrorists. With the latest surge from North Africa into Europe, we'll be seeing a lot more of this all over Europe in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Kent, this is the SOH, you know the rules here. Please keep (national) politics out of this thread.
    Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    So terrorists would be able to get firearms easier than they are now...

Don't you have enough children killed by firearms in your own country every year?
    If you don't have any intelligent comment to give, please say nothing.
    Say what? Terrorists are criminals. Since when do criminals obey the law? YOU should check your statistics and not parrot the spurious ones put forward by people with a real agenda. Disarming a population creates a vulnerable population. Criminals and terrorists will ALWAYS be able to get guns.

Here in Canada, we have much more stringent gun control than you have south of the border. As a law abiding citizen, I have to jump through many hoops to legally purchase a firearm. A criminal can go to a certain area of town and with cash, purchase even prohibited firearms in less than an hour. There were few terrorists. If even a few people had been armed, maybe, just maybe some innocent lives would have been saved.

Value your Bill of Rights!!
    Matt

SOH-CM-2023
    Condolences to all affected, & a speedy recovery to the injured.
    But all in all its one reason I've become an agnostic, most wars being religionist as its base.
    Keith

Obviously this thread is not going the right way. So I feel forced to close it.

Sorry for those who just wanted to express their feeling towards the victims and their relatives.

Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0