Savoia Marchetti SM.79C WIP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savoia Marchetti SM.79C WIP

Icon22 Savoia Marchetti SM.79C WIP

Hi Friends,
    I just restarted an old Project, the Sparviero's "C" (for "Corsa") racing version. This plane was developed by SIAI between Summer 1936 and Summer 1937 in order to partecipate to Paris-New York race ("Lindberg Cup" ) organized by "Aero Club de France" in order to celebrate the ten years from Lindberg's flight. Due to contrasts between French and USA authorities the original transatlantic competition was transformed in an Euro/Mid East race : the Istres-Damascus-Paris.
    I'm deeply revising the old Sparviero I converted from original CFS3 model by Italianwings in 2008. The new modified model actually has completely new textures, now based on 2048x2048 multiple master bmps and, obviously, new GMax fuselage, props and engines, I revised also some animations. Also the VC is modified and the gauge revised. The package will contain liveries for ALL the "C" of "Istres-Damascus-Paris" (five planes : I-5, I-6, I-7, I-11 and I-13) and will contain also the "T" version used in Roma-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro flight (three planes : I-BISE, I-BRUN, I-MONI).
    Here are some external model (almost completed) WIP screenshots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	30894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_2.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	30895 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_4.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	30896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_6.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	30897 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_8.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	30898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM79C_WIP_11.JPG 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	30899

Blog Entries

Excellent!

I especially like the crew figures... are they separate and "change workable" in terms of appropriate uniforms for
    other SM 79s?

Again... look great!

That is one very nice streamlined "gobbo"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    I especially like the crew figures... are they separate and "change workable" in terms of appropriate uniforms for
    other SM 79s?
    Again... look great!
    Hi Carlos,
    Thank You for your appreciation.
    No, the pilots are completely new (model & textures) and not separated from model. I used for the first time these pilots in my A.V.I.A. FL.3 and I'll use them in all my new projects. Both the pilots wear the real Regia Aeronautica's flying suit (here textured in Sorci Verdi's white version), the Captain wears R.A. officer's cap and old "turtle" sun goggles.

Assolutamente splendida Manuele

(I really hope this makes some sense )

Huub

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Assolutamente splendida Manuela

(I really hope this makes some sense )

Huub
    Not really.... lol Manuela is a girl's name!

G.

Oops.... I have repaired that one

While Manuele is working on this model I have been reading some history. This is why I like this hobby so much. I had never realised that the registration codes were bases on the surnames of the crew members and that one of the racers (I-BIMU)was flown by Bruno Mussolini (the son of.......).

Manuele can you consider to include the I-ALAN? I know it has some additional windows, but perhaps you can just "paint" them instead of including them in the model. I would certainly appreciate it.

In the mean while I-12/ I-ROTR flown by Rovis and Trimboli

The real thing:

Departure from Istres:

Over the Mediterranean:

Blog Entries
    The real thing:...
    A spectacular aircraft. Those are some great screenshots Huub. Thanks for sharing them.

Icon22

While Manuele is working on this model I have been reading some history. This is why I like this hobby so much. I had never realised that the registration codes were bases on the surnames of the crew members and that one of the racers (I-BIMU)was flown by Bruno Mussolini (the son of.......).

Manuele can you consider to include the I-ALAN? I know it has some additional windows, but perhaps you can just "paint" them instead of including them in the model. I would certainly appreciate it.
    Hi Huub,
    This is the list of planes, related codes and pilots in Istres-Damascus-Paris race (Lindberg Cup) and related order of arrivals :

I-5 (I-BIMU), SM.79CS, pilots : Col.Lt.Attilio BISEO (BI) & Lt.Bruno MUSSOLINI (MU). 3rd arrived
    I-6 (I-TOMO), SM.79CS, pilots : Maj.Angelo TONDI (TO) & Capt.Antonio MOSCATELLI (MO). 6th arrived
    I-7 (I-LICA), SM.79CS, pilots : Maj.Antonio LIPPI (LI) & Capt.Gori CASTELLANI (CA). Retired
    I-8 (I-ROBO), Fiat BR.20, pilots : Col.Enrico ROLANDI (RO) & Col.Guido BONINI (BO). Retired
    I-10 (I-GAQU), Fiat BR.20, pilots : Col.Giuseppe GAETA (GA) & Col.Luigi QUESTA (QU). Retired
    I-11 (I-CUPA), SM.79CS, pilots : Col.Lt.Ranieri CUPINI (CU) & Cap.Amedeo PARADISI (PA). Winner
    I-12 (I-ROTR), SM.79K/CS, pilots : Maj.Umberto ROVIS (RO), Cap.Luigi KLINGER & Cap.Stefano TRIMBOLI (TR). 8th arrived
    I-13 (I-FILU), SM.79CS, pilots : Maj.Umberto FIORI (FI) & Cap.Giovanni LUCCHINI (LU). 2nd arrived

This is the list of planes, related codes and pilots in Rome-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro transatlantic raid :

I-BISE, SM.79T (ex I-BIMU), pilots : Col.Lt.Attilio BISEO (BISE) & Maj.Amedeo PARADISI.
    I-BRUN, SM.79T (ex I-FILU), pilots : Lt.Bruno MUSSOLINI (BRUN) & Lt.Renato MANCINELLI.
    I-MONI, SM.79T (ex I-CUPA), pilots : Maj.Nino MOSCATELLI (MONI) & Cap.Gori CASTELLANI.

The I-ALAN was basically a modified SM.79T, it had different cockpit windows and many different gauges (two different VCs for "CS" and "T" will be enough for me !!!), maybe I'll paint an additional livery for it using the "T" model, but it will be NOT completely historically correct, the fuselage windows and door (not operating) will be only on texturing.

Hi,
    This is wonderful news!

This is the LAGO model..it has extra flaps (?) on the wing leading edges which have always fascinated me as to the modelling of them for the sim. Simple soul that I am. It also has no hump, which I think makes a much more sleek aircraft and was flown by civilian airlines as well

so we will wait patiently

Andy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsscr018.jpg   Sm.79_profiles_02 - Copy.jpg  

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    This is wonderful news!

This is the LAGO model..it has extra flaps (?) on the wing leading edges which have always fascinated me as to the modelling of them for the sim. Simple soul that I am. It also has no hump, which I think makes a much more sleek aircraft and was flown by civilian airlines as well..... so we will wait patiently.

Andy.
    Hi Andy,
    The profile You posted shows the 3rd prototype of SM.79 that was equipped with Alfa Romeo A126 engines instead the older Piaggio ones, the "CS" (the "racing" version) was something between this plane and the first series of bomber version.....
    The real SM.79 was equipped not only with automatic Handley-Page trailing edge flaps, but also with a particular system that allowed the ailerons to be used as flaps. This system wasn't simulated in the old SM.79 release, but will be optically (animation only) simulated in the new "CS" version.

Hi,
    Really looking forward to this lovely aircraft. Thank you Manuele, in advance ! Going to do more checking on the web about her.

Andy.

Sorry Manuele, but I had not realised that there were so many differences between the T model and the I-ALAN. I had read that the I-6 / I-TOMO became the I-ALAN after some modifications. Obviously I underestimated the meaning of the word "some".

But the "non-historical" textures will definitely be appreciated. Certainly by my, but I'm sure it will have more fans.

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon22

Hi Friends,
    Some screens from the First flight !!!!

Note the opened HP trailing edge flaps and the aileron used as flaps.

Icon22

And these ....

As always Manuele, your work is outstanding!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Veramente un'opera d'arte Manuele!

G.

Outstanding!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Beautiful Manuele but also a bit sad. As when this Corsa is finished, I will most probably not fly the I-ROTR any more.

BTW I recognise the river Rhône in your screenies. Istres - Damascus is a long flight.......

Cheers,
    Huub

Manuele do you have any progress update since the last Screenshots?

best regards,
    Thomas

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mvg3d View Post
    And these ....

Θαύμασια!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    Manuele do you have any progress update since the last Screenshots?

best regards,
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    The external model is done, I'm still working on the "CS" VC (the "T" version, with more gauges, will follow).....
    I must also redo completely the Radio & Engineer consoles (both visible from pilot & co-pilot seats), I found in a book a pic that shows a different position for them (GRRRR !!!)

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Θαύμασια!
    Γειά σου Nigel,
    Σ'ευχαριστώ παρα πολύ για τα δικά σου λόγια !!!

(Thank You for Your comment !!!)

Members who have read this thread: 0