Something I've been meaning to do for a while
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I've been meaning to do for a while

Icon25 Something I've been meaning to do for a while

I bought Wings Over Flanders Fields a while back, and finally got around to importing the incredible scenery to CFS3. These are the initial results:

Note, this will not be uploaded as it is payware, but I'm sure OBD Software would appreciate your business, plus you a get a fantastic WWI sim. http://www.overflandersfields.com/

Some edits will be required to remove the trenches, etc, but it is totally possible.

And yes, for those concerned I'm still putting most of my limited CFS3 time into getting a certain rocket powered interceptor ready for release, this was just a minor detour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot10-30-15-14-05-01.jpg   Shot10-30-15-14-07-27.jpg  

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Yes!! Too cool!!

I did this some time ago with the OFF then later BHAH scenery in a install, but haven't tried the WOFF scenery yet.
    Last edited by HouseHobbit; October 30th, 2015 at 16:19.

Hi,

How do I go about setting up the WOFF scenery in CFS3? I tried it once before and I kept getting a CTD

Thanks,
    Chris
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

You need to replace the contents of your assets and terrains folders with the ones from WOFF.

I'm temped to do this but is there a downside, i.e. anachronisms? That said, I think I see Chain Home radar towers in one of the above shots, which would be anachronistic for WW1.

I only am using the scenery, the global layer which includes things like the radar stations in CFS3 or WWI bases and targets in WOFF is separate. Those towers are not in WOFF and my CFS3 install using WOFF scenery does not have the WWI airfields, etc.

Blog Entries
    I've done this as well on one of my BoB installs and it does look great but I think the houses could do with making more British in appearance for it.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

For now I'm happy to have something other than concrete boxes with windows randomly dotting the landscape. Now there are rows of houses, and streets to fly down low enough for the second story tenants to look down on me with disapproval.

Hmm, looks interesting!
    I have the first payware version of OFF - Between Heaven and Hell. Is there much difference between this and WOFF, scenery-wise?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

i think I'm finally ready to invest in WOFF and do this. Is it as simple as "replacing the contents of my assets and terrains folders with the ones from WOFF."?

Joost, it is SO much better! The scenery is several steps above the last version and the sim itself is vastly improved. Very polished, totally new AI (they're really smart and human) and a lot more. I still mainly fly CFS3, but I've kept a WOFF campaign going that I go back to from time to time.

Threedp, yes, basically, but it is a little more complicated to get it set up in WM Scenery manager to be able to change seasons, but still mainly just a matter of putting files in the right folders. I posted links to all the related threads for Owen on the last page of the screenshots thread.

Thanks!

Purchase made. Hoping to tackle it tonight. One nit-picky question:

Do I "replace" the Assets and Terrains folders (i.e. delete them from CFS3 and then copy in the WOFF ones),

or,

Do I overwrite the the folders in CFS3?

The difference is subtle, but the latter course may leave some files in that are not in the WOFF folders, which may be good (i.e. CFS3 needs said files) or bad (the presence of such files causes CTD, etc.).

I don't recall, and unfortunately I can't access my files as my GPU went belly up (no onboard chip for backup). It will probably be next week before I can look into it.

Thanks for the help. :-)

I tried both and failed on both counts, CTD. I did use WM Scenery a long time ago just to get myself a fully snowy winter. Not sure I even have it installed anymore. But having used it once, does that put me into the category of someone who has to follow the WM path to get it to work?

Whatever I've tried has failed, at least in part. The most obvious issue is trees. In some cases my trees turn into the winter ones and stay that we even in summer. In other cases, they're rectangular. I'll keep plugging away. Any guidance welcome.

I'm still out of action, so I can't help yet, hang in there. Once my PC is in I'll be able to look at it. With trees, you only get one season at a time with the WOFF scenery, instead of before when you got a summer variation and a winter variation. It sounds like you also have an extra scenery sheet texture in your install which is causing the rectangular trees.

OK, operational (sort of) again. How is it coming? Any more issues?

I kind of gave up!

In my last attempt, if I recall correctly, I simply replaced (not overwritten) the Assets & Terrains folders and it worked but I lost airfield textures (buildings & such still there) and couldn't get the full snow that I like. Not entirely sure of the details. I do remember on the GUI screen some of the buildings were freakishly angular and black! I may also have done some ZX file deleting in attempts to get it to work.

I think I tried an overwrite of the two folders, but that got me a CTD.

I'm now back to baseline and I do have WM installed and it works, so perhaps I need my hand held with very specific instructions on what to do in such a case?

Sorry to be so thick!

There are a lot of variables here. Can you post a screenshot of the assets and terrains folder of the install you are installing into? Both folders, particularly the assists folder, are catch alls for a number of addons that could be effecting you.

Assets on the left, Terrains on the right:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folders.jpg  

Terrains folder should be good. In the assets folder, you will need to keep the airbase outlines folder, and inside the mos folder, you will need everything that has airbase in the file name.

OK, the airbase outlines folder is straightforward. As for the mos files, Should I keep the mos folder (deleting all but the "airbase" files from it) or copy the "airbase" files into the WW1MOS folder?

Follow up: Sadly, neither option had any effect. I even tried moving the airbase outlines files into the WW1Airfields folder, but no dice. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated, but I think I'm going to have to give up. :-(

Hang in there, which scenery are you using? Are any airbases showing up, or are all the textures gone? Try looking through all the WMScenery folders for airbase textures. They will either have "airbase" or "ACC" in their names. Keep all of those. CFS3 doesn't care which folder anything is in, if it is located anywhere in the main folder or any subfolder, it will find the texture.

Progress: Some! In the summer/spring, the airfields themselves look good now but the trees on the airfields are just solid intersecting rectangles. In the winter the missing airfields return and I can't get the full snow winter I want. I'll continue fiddling!

Alright, good. For the airbases, I'll need more information. Which install are you working with - ETO 1.5 or something else? Also, which airbases have the issue? All of them or just specific ones? I'm hoping if we can pinpoint all your problems I'll be able to write a script that can automatically gather all the files you need to a single location which will then be managed by a new program written by Mongoose's son Peter. Then getting your full snow or any other season working will be as easy as clicking a button.

Members who have read this thread: 0