Texture shine

Thread: Texture shine

Texture shine

Hi

Just asking if anyone out there could help me. I want to improve the shine on the Alphasim He111. I would like to change one of the skins (Kg55)to high gloss. Can I change the reflectivity of the existing skins or is this set in the model file. I notice the textures do not use any specular channel.
    I have created a sports model of the He111. I have found that this nice twin has very little effect on my system when I run two windows and it flies very nicely so I use it quite often, but wanted something a bit quicker and more agile. I have changed the engines to the Jumo213J at 2350hp and 3700rpm. I have also removed all military equipment (1500lbs) from the base weight and replaced the items with lightweight mockups (using hollow lightweight bombs and torps as storage containers). This makes for a very sprite old girl. Unfortunately no matter how I tweaked the air and config files she would not actually change her basic characteristics. At some stages of the process she even got worse (wouldn't take off) for less weight and improved power. So in frustration I copied and renamed the mosquito air file and paired it with my improved config file. Now she flies like a lighter more powerful version of her old self. Very pleasing.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi Paul,
    Depending on how the model is done,there are two parts of the textures that can help you to increase the shining.
    One is the alpha channel of your diffuse texture (darker alpha: metal shining texture) the other one is the specular texture.
    Basically,the alpha channel of you diffuse works mainly to give a metal shine.
    The specular maps works to give you the color or brightness of your diffuse texture when hit by the direct light.
    These options are surely linked to the fact that the model itself (so is a modeler's choice) reacts at these two parameters.
    For example,usually the "shiny" effect of the alpha in made on the reverse scale,i.e. the darker is,the "mirrored" will be,but can also be the opposite.
    The main step is to give a look to your's texture directory,the second is to try some samples.
    By the way for the "mirror" effect,you can replace the default envmap of the simulator with a better one to increase your shiny effect. There are some examples around.
    In the texture directory probably you will have some little textures called "fresnel". These too are mainly involved on the shining work.
    So,try!
    Ciao
    Ale

Members who have read this thread: 0