BGL tool

Thread: BGL tool

SOH-CM-2023

BGL tool

Hi All,

I am trying kill some weird multiple coastline issues with Ultimate Terrain and some third party sceneries and I was wondering if there is a tool or program that can tell me what BGLs are effecting a given area. I have the MAIW pensacola the freeflow florida and ultimate terrain sceneries and Im trying to figure out which one are the offending culprit for some really horked up scenery. Any guidance would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Sean

Before doing that, have you checked the priorities of the scenery in question? Generally speaking, Ultimate Terrain files should be at the top of the add-on scenery list, airports and other objects should be below the Ultimate Terrain files.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Sean. You might find this useful:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=41079122

TCalc OnTop tool.

FS needs to be running when you use this. It will then display various useful info including the ID of BGLs in the immediate area you are over.

I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers, A.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Before doing that, have you checked the priorities of the scenery in question? Generally speaking, Ultimate Terrain files should be at the top of the add-on scenery list, airports and other objects should be below the Ultimate Terrain files.

I get this backward, so UT should be in slot 1 and 2 (USA and Canada) when displayed on the scenery list?

Currently it is at the bottom of the list right before the default sceneries.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UTList.JPG  

Multiple coastlines are caused by more than one conflicting watermask/coastline bgl of the same area. The sim will read and attempt to load all of these regardless of priority - you will need to establish what is being loaded and disable/remove the unwanted duplicate files.

Default and Ultimate Terrain files will be named HL******.bgl (shorelines) and HP******.bgl (land/water masks). These can be identified using the tool I mentioned above. Unfortunately, many other scenery addons do not follow this naming convention and make it much more difficult to track down any problems. Their coverage may also not fit neatly into the tiled areas of default and UT. Can get messy, but still (usually) solvable with the right tools and a large dollop of patience.

Other than trying the TCalc OnTop tool, I would suggest starting by disabling one addon at a time, restarting the sim and seeing if that addon contains the offending coastline.

A.
    Last edited by aardvark62; October 10th, 2015 at 04:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan172 View Post
    I get this backward, so UT should be in slot 1 and 2 (USA and Canada) when displayed on the scenery list?

Currently it is at the bottom of the list right before the default sceneries.
    I have Ultimate Terrain USA and Tropics for FSX. The installation instructions were very clear to set the UT scenery priority at the top of the add-on scenery list. I expect what you are seeing is the coastlines of some add-on scenery and UT coastlines at the same time. If the add-on scenery has a more accurate coastline or was designed to replace the UT scenery, then you should probably open the UT controls program and deactivate that area in UT.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark62 View Post
    Hi Sean. You might find this useful:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=41079122

TCalc OnTop tool.

FS needs to be running when you use this. It will then display various useful info including the ID of BGLs in the immediate area you are over.

I wouldn't be without it.

Cheers, A.
    Well thats something I never knew about before!

Thanks for the tip.

ttfn

Pete

Members +
    Hi Guys,

That tool seems very interesting. I'm using freeware scenery (Aeroworx) for South Africa, & I'm getting sandbars in some areas around the coastline. Maybe this tool can tell me what the problem is.
    However, the Flightsim link gives me 'File not found'. Any chance of the actual file name please?

Many thanks,
    Robin

That's odd. That was where it was when I posted that reply. The app (FS2004TCalc OnTop Tool) is part of FS2004Tcalc suite and it's been around for years - but I suddenly can't find it anywhere online now at the moment.

If you PM me your e-mail address I will see if I can dig out my original install to send you - it's not big.

Cheers, A.

Members who have read this thread: 0